teach me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool! Would one be ok with a few waspfish since itbis venomous?

They usually say to keep GSP in a tank by themselves they will eat anything.

This only an assumption but I read puffers aren't naturally poisonous they become poisonous through what they eat. If that is true than my guess is they may be able to eat the wasp fish. Now that is only a guess from putting a few facts together. I know absolutely nothing about wasp fish I did away with venomous fish when I got stung by my volitan lion (not fun).

They usually say to keep GSP in a tank by themselves they will eat anything.

This only an assumption but I read puffers aren't naturally poisonous they become poisonous through what they eat. If that is true than my guess is they may be able to eat the wasp fish. Now that is only a guess from putting a few facts together. I know absolutely nothing about wasp fish I did away with venomous fish when I got stung by my volitan lion (not fun).

Would a figure 8 work with a waspfish? Honestly I am kinda stumped now becasue the gsp seems so cool! However I am concerned about a few things. U read that they have an unholy bioload and need a 30 gallon min. Also some sources say they need full strenght marine long term.
Would a f8 have the same personality as a gsp?

Would a figure 8 work with a waspfish? Honestly I am kinda stumped now becasue the gsp seems so cool! However I am concerned about a few things. U read that they have an unholy bioload and need a 30 gallon min. Also some sources say they need full strenght marine long term.
Would a f8 have the same personality as a gsp?

There are a few myths that have been stated for so long about these fish that they are now stated as fact. Its one of these instances that it is on the internet so it must be true.

1. MW,FW or BRW - GSP are born in fresh and fluctuate between full marine to fresh there whole lives people found that keeping marine tanks is easier than brackish due to less water changes so they started keeping them in full marine. Full marine is great for people that want to keep marine tanks but it is not necessary. Marine is not necessary Brackish however is necessary they are ok in FW the first year of life. Great thing about these fish is they aren't to sensitive to moderate fluctuation in salinity.

2. Tank size - I kept a trio in a 75 but before I kept it in a 75 I had mine in a 20 long for 5 years. There is a website (I wont mention the name) that I think worships GSP's as Gods they say 30 gallon minimum but will bash anyone who dares keep them confined to a 30 gallon. Even though they are less than an inch long as juvies. The people that run that site have spread there propaganda on many other sites. I think you are fine in a 20 long for at least 3-5 years and at that point you might want to upgrade to a 45. They are slow growers. By that time you will be so won over by their personality you want mind upgrading.

3. Bio load this isn't a myth but a misinterpretation. They don't give off allot of waste like a gold fish does they are just messy eaters (they shred things). My 5 year old gsp was killed by my sister while I was on vacation because she over fed. My fault I assumed she know how much to feed. Just make sure there isn't left over meaty foods left in the tank and do weekly water changes and you are good to go.

F8's are great little fish to. but like I said before I really don't know anything about Wasp fish.

There are a few myths that have been stated for so long about these fish that they are now stated as fact. Its one of these instances that it is on the internet so it must be true.

1. MW,FW or BRW - GSP are born in fresh and fluctuate between full marine to fresh there whole lives people found that keeping marine tanks is easier than brackish due to less water changes so they started keeping them in full marine. Full marine is great for people that want to keep marine tanks but it is not necessary. Marine is not necessary Brackish however is necessary they are ok in FW the first year of life. Great thing about these fish is they aren't to sensitive to moderate fluctuation in salinity.

2. Tank size - I kept a trio in a 75 but before I kept it in a 75 I had mine in a 20 long for 5 years. There is a website (I wont mention the name) that I think worships GSP's as Gods they say 30 gallon minimum but will bash anyone who dares keep them confined to a 30 gallon. Even though they are less than an inch long as juvies. The people that run that site have spread there propaganda on many other sites. I think you are fine in a 20 long for at least 3-5 years and at that point you might want to upgrade to a 45. They are slow growers. By that time you will be so won over by their personality you want mind upgrading.

3. Bio load this isn't a myth but a misinterpretation. They don't give off allot of waste like a gold fish does they are just messy eaters (they shred things). My 5 year old gsp was killed by my sister while I was on vacation because she over fed. My fault I assumed she know how much to feed. Just make sure there isn't left over meaty foods left in the tank and do weekly water changes and you are good to go.

F8's are great little fish to. but like I said before I really don't know anything about Wasp fish.

Thanks! I cannot commit to upgrading so f8 may be better for my situation. Also I have read they are a bit more peaceful. Also ai cannot do weekly pwcs. My schedule is to tight.

Thanks! I cannot commit to upgrading so f8 may be better for my situation. Also I have read they are a bit more peaceful. Also ai cannot do weekly pwcs. My schedule is to tight.

The F8 probably is a better choice then. They are great little guys also. Fantastic personalities. Let me know how it goes.

The F8 probably is a better choice then. They are great little guys also. Fantastic personalities. Let me know how it goes.

Sure thing! I am excited now! However I know absolutly nothing about these guys. Should I build up some rock work with texas holey rock? I dont know what water params or anything! This is nee territory. I was going to use play sand substrate as well. If you dont know I will start a new thread for just the puffers :)

Sure thing! I am excited now! However I know absolutly nothing about these guys. Should I build up some rock work with texas holey rock? I dont know what water params or anything! This is nee territory. I was going to use play sand substrate as well. If you dont know I will start a new thread for just the puffers :)

I have been keeping puffers fro about 15 years. I can help you with anything you want to know.

Salinity 1.005 to 1.008 is good. Temp 77-80

Play sand substrate is perfect.

They are not cave dwellers so no need for extensive rock work. I kept some drift wood a few plastic plants and some round rocks. Change up there decor every so often they are very curious fish and like to explore. They like lots of open space and will be swimming allot. If you see them glass surfing to much beyond the first few weeks add some more decor for them to explore.

Food is most important. I feed frozen brine,mysis,krill. I throw in a few live ghost shrimp every few weeks to give them something to hunt. The require food with a shell pond snails and MTS snails are great. I would go to the LFS and ask for some nuisance snails and they will give them to you free usually. This helps keep there beak filled down. If you don't keep it filled down with food you will need to clip them. not the hardest thing there are many articles on it but you basically take fingernail clippers and clip the points off. I have never had to do this giving them snails once a week and the shrimp was good enough.

feel free to pm me anytime with questions if you need.

what kind of play sand do you use? And what are the consequences? Never used it before.

I have been keeping puffers fro about 15 years. I can help you with anything you want to know.

Salinity 1.005 to 1.008 is good. Temp 77-80

Play sand substrate is perfect.

They are not cave dwellers so no need for extensive rock work. I kept some drift wood a few plastic plants and some round rocks. Change up there decor every so often they are very curious fish and like to explore. They like lots of open space and will be swimming allot. If you see them glass surfing to much beyond the first few weeks add some more decor for them to explore.

Food is most important. I feed frozen brine,mysis,krill. I throw in a few live ghost shrimp every few weeks to give them something to hunt. The require food with a shell pond snails and MTS snails are great. I would go to the LFS and ask for some nuisance snails and they will give them to you free usually. This helps keep there beak filled down. If you don't keep it filled down with food you will need to clip them. not the hardest thing there are many articles on it but you basically take fingernail clippers and clip the points off. I have never had to do this giving them snails once a week and the shrimp was good enough.

feel free to pm me anytime with questions if you need.

Wow great info! Thank you so much! I had read they were very curious fish so I figured I would try to make them lots of exploring spots :)

I do have a few questions. If I may ask them on this thread? If not just pm me your answers and we can continue this talk on pm :)

1) I have very soft water with a ph about 6-7. Do I need to add any crushed coral or calcium rich rock to change this?

2) I am not able to do weekly water changes. Sometimes it could be as stretched as 1 month. I usually use live plants to keep the nitrates and pollutants in check. Will this work with puffers? (I also plan to use seachem matrix and purigen in the filter)

3) How much decor should I use and how shoukd U arrange it?

4) Finally in the 20 tall with 2 waspfish how many puffers should I keep?

what kind of play sand do you use? And what are the consequences? Never used it before.

I use play sand bought at toys r us. It is snow white play sand. No consequences that I know of. I dont even rinse it it is so clean.

What about a green spotted puffer? Oops I see it was already recommended:)

Back
Top Bottom