tell me everything you know about convict cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that you can use our handy Search feature at the top of the page to learn about convicts.

They are the guppies of the egg-laying fish -- all you need is a male, a female and more than a tsp of water (j/k of course) and you'll soon be overrun with little convicts!!!!!
What kind of info is it you are wanting - keeping, breeding??
They are incredibly easy to keep, not all that picky about eating, are pretty aggressive (especially when spawning - which, if you have a M & F is pretty much ALL the time) and were fun fish to keep. They made for a great steady supply of clean healthy feeders for our larger fish..... :?

well i want them to breed but i think one of the mates is to small which i think makes the larger on agressive towards the smaller one.will this prevent the mating?
another thing is will the male also protect the fry or will he eat them.I am pretty sure he protects them, right?

What kinds of food should i feed them besides clean lettuce and pellets?
Anything else feel free to add!!! Thank you

Convict are probably the easiest Cichlid to keep. The females are idetifiable by their red color on the stomach. The males are typically a little bigger with longer fins(not always), and no red on the stomach. They will eat any fish food you give them flakes, pellets, blood worm etc...lettuce is not really going to do much for Cons.

As for breeding them the male will protect the fry along with the female. Both parents will bring food to them so feeding is not an issue. Typically the like to spawn in a cave. A flower pot works great for this. Young convicts may take take 1 or 2 tries before they are successful. The first couple batches sometimes go unfertilized or are eaten.
The male will tend to be aggressive towards the female. As long as they are at least an inch 1/2 they should be ready to breed.

Give it a few months and you will have baby Convicts. And soon after that you won't want them to breed any more.

Attachments

• cons_with_fry_2.jpg
    cons_with_fry_2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom