tetra school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Centurion

Aquarium Advice Activist
wil mixed tetras school together? i have 2 long fin blushing tetras and would like to get a diamond tetra to be their buddy. i read that diamonds like to be in schools of 5 or more tho. if thats the case do they all have to be diamonds? ive grown fond of this fish but would still like the other varieties in the tank. tia

Yes they will. Most any schooling fish likes to be 5 or more. Try getting 3 diamond tetras:) If you really want a beautiful site, get 10 or more mixed. Its like they intertwine in the water.

I have 9 pritellas in a 30. I put a minnow in there to see if he would make it. He tries to school with them but he also picks on them so they don't like him. It was kind afunny but he schooled wiht them right away. Total instinct.

I have 4 types of tetra in my community tank and for me the only ones that will school together consistently are the cardinals and neons.

My two buenos aries tetras that surived my initial kill off (before I found this board), are always trying to school around with my three giant danios. I think the danios wear them out though. If I'm able to get a big tank next year, I want to move my danios (to give them more room to reach their 4-5" capacities) and add some more tetras for my BAs.

My sliver tips and head and tail light tetras school no problem. Of course any schooling fish will probably stop schooling after awhile when they discover that there is no danger.

I like mixing Neons with Glo-lites. Same sized fish, same pattern. One's blue/red/silver, the other is gold/red

I founf the skirted tetras really only school in large numbers, i.e., 9, 11, etc., and if I have them in numbers smaller than that, everyone pretty much just does his/her own thing.

tkos said:
Of course any schooling fish will probably stop schooling after awhile when they discover that there is no danger.

I think you are right about that. All of my tetras will swim together, but I wouldn't call it a school most of the time. They're just kickin it :p

heck my tetra sometimes school with my tiger barbs. similarly sized fish of similar temperment often school right up.

My serpaes and black phantoms school together.
That is, until a writhing ball of hyperactive zebra danios plows through - sending everyone scattering in different directions! :D
It's hysterical to watch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 18 Cardinals and 8 Rummy Nose. They school together sometimes. The Rummy Noses dash all over the tank, they are hyperactive and the Cardinals chill out most of the time. Some times the school together and swim around.

Back
Top Bottom