The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!

Transferred the australian and boesman rainbow from the thirty today. Unfortunately this morning the australian got psychotic somehow and started scratching itself on the rocks in the thirty. Hopefully it'll heal, but not sure, it's starting to attack other fish too...anyone have any problems with this?

The tank is doing fine so far. No problems whatsoever and is looking good. Plants could be a little more abundant and more planted but for now I think it's okay.

Pics are well beyond delayed, I am sorry but don't want any pics until the tank looks completed! Hopefully in a month or two it'll look decent for a photograph :)

Also, I am getting the ten gallon. But that's a month or two away, so far now they're staying where they are. Unfortunately I don't think two schoolers plus a betta will fit in a ten gallon so for now when the time comes I'm keeping the cardinal tetras where it is. So this is what future stocking looks like:

X2 chocolate gouramis
X2 dwarf honey DGs
X2 platies (a pair? I saw courting this morning)
x6 cardinal tetras
x3 boesman's rainbows
x1 australian rainbow (hopefully...:erm:)
x6 bronze cories (re-identified, i've been comparing pics and these guys are definitely bronze ones!)

Is that it? Can I add anything else or am I FULLY STOCKED? Let me know, there's always the fish room coming up soon ;)

Well, just keep an eye on everybody right now and hopefully you don't have any issues.:)

Here's a few pictures of some of the fish!

Sorry, no full tank shot yet-still needs some work! :)

Attachments

• image-4186629302.jpg
    image-4186629302.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2122864513.jpg
    image-2122864513.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 83
Here's a few pictures of some of the fish!

Sorry, no full tank shot yet-still needs some work! :)
I really like the rams. They are such pretty fish.:) Lol, your rainbow is moving and he looks like a squid because of the shape the camera picked up. Very pretty colors though. The rainbows I see in petstores always look so drab, it is amazing how beautiful they are once they have colored up.

absolutangel04 said:
I really like the rams. They are such pretty fish.:) Lol, your rainbow is moving and he looks like a squid because of the shape the camera picked up. Very pretty colors though. The rainbows I see in petstores always look so drab, it is amazing how beautiful they are once they have colored up.

Whoa your right it kinda does look like a squid! The two were chasing each other and playing :) Really love their coloration!

Here's a few more pics:

Attachments

• image-1054406518.jpg
    image-1054406518.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3838858113.jpg
    image-3838858113.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 97
Okay, pics are way overdue, still no complete tank shot yet (my apologies to those who have been waiting) but pics of the fish are on the way! I just finished taking lots of pics-hope they look alright! :)

Man i just read this thread, and your stock has changed so much its redonkulus. Sooooo bummer u dropped the angel and added more gouramis :( but that is definatly your decision!! Sorry about your pickle, i have a ten gallon with only one fish in it and i am thinkin about how much u could use that space! Hahah tank will b totally sick man!!! Did u ever get a co2 thing by the way?

Update! :)
Gboy66 said:
Man i just read this thread, and your stock has changed so much its redonkulus. Sooooo bummer u dropped the angel and added more gouramis :( but that is definatly your decision!! Sorry about your pickle, i have a ten gallon with only one fish in it and i am thinkin about how much u could use that space! Hahah tank will b totally sick man!!! Did u ever get a co2 thing by the way?
Thanks man! Haha I actually finished the tank off today. Nope not using CO2 but do have Eco-Complete substrate, dose liquid frets Flourish Excel which has carbon in it and leave the lights on from anywhere of 8-10 hours a day. The plant growth is SICK!

Finished the stock off today with a koi/marbled angel. Going to be getting rid of the gold honey DGs (think they deserve their own tank) plus the betta with them (she's not going to attack them, they all peacefully co-exist), and the two schoolers in a twenty gallon high I'm asking for this Christmas. It's a couple of months away so it's not the end of the world.

Also finished the aquascape. No carpet for me, decided against it unless I change my mind again and ask for baby dwarf tears for Christmas too. Got some rare rotala (or not, guy said it was but I forget the species), an amazon sword, real cool ludwiga and some sort of hygro plants, really like that. Also got a bit more rotala indica and red camboda to keep this tank nice and planted. Hopefully everything will be growing nicely.

It's getting late, I got school tomorrow, and have to start talking to teachers about what's going on Friday (going to a funeral, if you're wondering why my grandma's down...you could take a guess :()

I'll post some pics later in a couple of days or so when everything is settled in. Took lots of pics of the fish but still want the plants to grow before I take the final full shot.

Thanks to everyone who made this tank possible and helped along the way. All of you guys are the best! Many thanks to you all, and hope you guys get a good night sleep :)

It doesn't exist if there are no pics! let's get cracking! lol

In all seriousness, sorry for your loss. Congrats on the koi angel. Looking forward to seeing your plants.. :)

^ i agree!! We need pics haha lets all start a chant!! Hahaha jk but ya. Personally idc if ur plants are perfect yet, your tank will look sick either way

A few pics of the fishies. Not home yet so no full tank shot yet, but here are some pics of the inhabitants as of yesterday before the trip to the LFS (no angel photo op yet, sorry :)):

Attachments

• image-2084944371.jpg
    image-2084944371.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-968381703.jpg
    image-968381703.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-343078295.jpg
    image-343078295.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3136065101.jpg
    image-3136065101.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2416553750.jpg
    image-2416553750.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2486713120.jpg
    image-2486713120.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3075205961.jpg
    image-3075205961.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3179358014.jpg
    image-3179358014.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-4203880844.jpg
    image-4203880844.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3397094665.jpg
    image-3397094665.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1230033050.jpg
    image-1230033050.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3598794052.jpg
    image-3598794052.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3318854110.jpg
    image-3318854110.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1608616389.jpg
    image-1608616389.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-940561648.jpg
    image-940561648.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3953857928.jpg
    image-3953857928.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 71
A few pics of the fishies. Not home yet so no full tank shot yet, but here are some pics of the inhabitants as of yesterday before the trip to the LFS (no angel photo op yet, sorry :)):

Awesome fish and plants! Just curious how many fish are in there? I was wondering because I was thinking of upgrading my FW, and wanted to get an idea about how many fish I could keep. Thanks.

Sick tank! What plant is that in the 5th picture? The stock turned out great!

Thanks for all the positive feedback you guys! My real camera is charging-these were all taken with my phone-so I'll have a good photo of the full tank soon! :)

redsea said:
Awesome fish and plants! Just curious how many fish are in there? I was wondering because I was thinking of upgrading my FW, and wanted to get an idea about how many fish I could keep. Thanks.

Current stock in there:
X2 chocolate gouramis
X2 gold honey gouramis
X1 female betta imbellis
X1 koi marbled angelfish
X2 GBRs
X2 platies
X4 cardinal tetras
X5 cherry barbs
X4 rainbows
X6 bronze cories

Eventually I think I'm going to move the chocolate gouramis, betta, and the two smaller schoolers into their own twenty gallon tank when I get it for Christmas. So yes it's overstocked but will soon be fixed in a couple of months :)

Gboy66 said:
Sick tank! What plant is that in the 5th picture? The stock turned out great!

Thanks! :)

That's red camboda. It's a mid-high light plant that needs some good TLC. It's one of the many plants I have in there that have Eco-Complete substrate, daily Flourish Excel dosings, and lights on 8-10 hours of the day.

AquaKai said:
Those are some amazing pictures! I love all of those plants! The tank looks great(y)

Thanks! At first it didn't look very complete because half the tank was just plants and the other half was empty. So I filled it in with some more plants and now it looks great! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Thanks for all the positive feedback you guys! My real camera is charging-these were all taken with my phone-so I'll have a good photo of the full tank soon! :)

Beautiful fish! I got a few boesmanis myself and I was disappointed because it didn't have much color, but it colored up as they get older! Yours look great!

Back
Top Bottom