The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
Well flourish excel for a big bottle is 25$ and the DIY co2 will cost me around 20$ per month with all the cleaning and mixing yeast and sugar. Which one do you think is more cost effective?

I have never actually used a DIY co2 before so I can't say how much work it would be. From what I have heard the DIY will be a lot more time consuming were as the exel will consume more $$. You might want to wait for a second opinion...

I think CO2 levels are hard to maintain with DIY in a larger tank, bouncing CO2 can do more harm than none.

I have a planted 40 gallon and I do not run co2. All my plants are healthy, but they are all easy keepers. Nothing too exotic. Also, your fish exhale co2, although it is not always a stable amount and it disappears quickly.

Well flourish excel for a big bottle is 25$ and the DIY co2 will cost me around 20$ per month with all the cleaning and mixing yeast and sugar. Which one do you think is more cost effective?

I think the excel may actually cheaper(and A LOT easier)than the diy. I still have a good amount left in my big bottle that I've had about 9 months. I was doing the diy co2 and it gets old quick(and uses a surprisingly large amount of sugar). It's a pain to keep the rate constant and if you slack on it at some point, be ready for a nice algae bloom(black beard seems to like the unsteady co2 levels that were present in my tank). When I went back to the excel, the algae started to go away.

IMO, either excel or a full co2 system is the way to go.

I don't think fish produce enough co2 for the plants, unless they are packed like sardines.

Last edited:
I can't really spend the money on a full CO2 system so I guess I will just go with Flourish Excel. How much do you reccommend to does during PWC in a heavily planted tank???

bruinsbro1997 said:
I can't really spend the money on a full CO2 system so I guess I will just go with Flourish Excel. How much do you reccommend to does during PWC in a heavily planted tank???

I would say just dose as the instructions say, then if you need to make some adjustments then do so. That is really how planted tanks work (trial and error) IMO

Ah ok. I have been trying plants before but so far the best results only seem to be plants that don't come in pots or huge bunches and are big and broad. My cories dig up whatever they can and my DG and betta like to uproot plants because they like to practice bubble nesting. So far I have only had success with easier, next-to-none lighting plants, so I really want to try something new! :)
Can anyone tell me if sand or gravel would be better with a plant-specific substrate, or do you think I should make the tank half-sand half-gravel???

bruinsbro1997 said:
Ah ok. I have been trying plants before but so far the best results only seem to be plants that don't come in pots or huge bunches and are big and broad. My cories dig up whatever they can and my DG and betta like to uproot plants because they like to practice bubble nesting. So far I have only had success with easier, next-to-none lighting plants, so I really want to try something new! :)
Can anyone tell me if sand or gravel would be better with a plant-specific substrate, or do you think I should make the tank half-sand half-gravel???

Anyone would be ok. I always liked black sand in a planted aquarium.

I want some sort of dark, brown sand but don't know if they make one. If not I will go with black sand on one side and then fine gravel on the other.

Does anyone think glossotagima (I think I spelled it wrong) would be good if put to use as a carpet effect???

How about Eco Complete? It's dark and is designed for planted aquariums. I have a feeling if you try to do 2 substrates on separate sides...after time it's just going to end up as one mixed substrate.

I was thinking about just using planted substrate but then thought it would be better to layer it over another substrate so the plants have enough depth in the tank and can still get nutrients. I have a mixed gravel/sand substrate that is seperated but a wall of rocks, but I don't really want to plan on using LOTS of rocks in my forty breeder so I guess that ideas out.

What if instead we laid all eco-complete out on but on the other half we sloped it with black sand??? IDK I'm just throwing out random ideas here.

Here's an update of the plans!

So instead of getting a brand new filter and everything I'm keeping my old filter with all the media and giving my cousin my tank with a new filter but some of my old media too. So instead of cycling the forty breeder I'm just going to transfer my honey DG and female GBR to the tank for themselves since the filter will already have been running for about a year now so should be well established also with another filter with seeded media in it. What do you think?

Here's an update on the stocking list:
-pair of angels (hopefullly one is smokey blue or philippines blue and the other gold yellow :D)
-pair of killies (Fundulopanchax scheeli)
-one female GBR (already have)
-one honey DG (already have)
-eight emerald cories (already have)
-seven threadfin rainbows

Do you think I could also squeeze in a betta imbellis pair? I have a female imbellis that gets along with everyone in my tank (including my DG) so if I got her a partner do you think I could squeeze them into my tank? It's forty gallons.

Also I need some help from some plant experts. In your opinion does glossotogimma need to be planted as a carpet before or after you plant your plants???

Thank you very much! :)

Sorry if I'm reviving my old thread (my bad!) but where would you find a stand for a 40 gallon breeder tank? I've searched Craigslist, Petsmart, even Petco for a stand and have found nothing. Where would you suggest looking for one? I checked all my LFS too, no 40 gallon breeder stands.

I'm looking for any kind of stand (I'm kinda desperate). Petco has none, they said look online and choose the one you want, order it and you'll get it delivered to the nearest one. I did not find any on their website :(

bruinsbro1997 said:
Sorry if I'm reviving my old thread (my bad!) but where would you find a stand for a 40 gallon breeder tank? I've searched Craigslist, Petsmart, even Petco for a stand and have found nothing. Where would you suggest looking for one? I checked all my LFS too, no 40 gallon breeder stands.

My LFS carries stands for 40B, you can also use a stand for a 50 or 65 they are both 37x19 which is only an inch off from the 40B.

Okay, I'll see what I can find. I'm looking for something that can last long, I have everything but all I need is a stand! (which eludes me). Unfortunately the last time I checked the LFS all they had were 50 gallon bowfront stands, but I'll check again today.

I would see if there is any local aquarium clubs one of the members may have something you could buy. Other than that I would find out how far you'd be willing to drive and call all fish/pet stores with in that distance. I know in my area people don't tend to resell their 40 breeds so unless I buy new there's not allot of options.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I'm looking for any kind of stand (I'm kinda desperate). Petco has none, they said look online and choose the one you want, order it and you'll get it delivered to the nearest one. I did not find any on their website :(

The manhattan stand comes in a 40b size

I would see if there is any local aquarium clubs one of the members may have something you could buy. Other than that I would find out how far you'd be willing to drive and call all fish/pet stores with in that distance. I know in my area people don't tend to resell their 40 breeds so unless I buy new there's not allot of options.

Yeah I guess I will have to check some more LFS. I do remember coming across an LFS one time that made custom stands, I will have to search them online and see what comes up.

The manhattan stand comes in a 40b size

Not according to the website, it says that it only does 10, 20, 29 and 55 gallon tanks. PETCO Manhattan Metal Tank Stands - Aquarium Stands and Fish Tank Stands from PETCO.com

Back
Top Bottom