The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really, I wouldn't. Seriously. There is going to be plenty going on with what is in that stock list as it is. I've kept pygmies for some time and IMO they would be next to impossible to feed in an active setup with so many larger fish. Pygmies are VERY small.

My advice: Take it slow, don't impulse buy, resist the temptation to cram more species into a heavily stocked tank.

Oh youv had them that long? I didnt expect that!

Definatly dont get rid of them, i take back my comment lol. I have had some glowlights for almost a year, and even though they arent crazy awesome to most, i wouldnt trade them for anything...(okay maybe a ram:))

Are pygmys that expensive? I knew they were pricey..but maybe you could get a few and slowly add to them along with the 6 bronze corys

Yep, that long.

I know. Once you get attached to fish you never want to get rid of them.
No. Maybe if it was a Dodge Ram ;)

I don't know, but last time I saw them (which was like July) they were 10$ per fish. I don't wanna crowd my tank with small schools of everything either, so...

Really, I wouldn't. Seriously. There is going to be plenty going on with what is in that stock list as it is. I've kept pygmies for some time and IMO they would be next to impossible to feed in an active setup with so many larger fish. Pygmies are VERY small.

My advice: Take it slow, don't impulse buy, resist the temptation to cram more species into a heavily stocked tank.

No pygmies.

I agree. And by the time I buy my CO2 and plants I wanted, I won't have a lot of money for fish. So, slowly. Maybe just once a month, I'll add a little by little.
I've learned my lesson with impulse buys from the chocolate gouramis.

Definitely. You should have seen my five gallon three years ago, that was overstockandimpulsebuy.com

aqua_chem said:
I was thinking something smaller like pandas.

Also, otos off the list?

Maybe, but I really don't want to get rid of the bronze cories. Are the pandas really as good as everyone says they are?

They are off the list, at least for now. I don't think I'm ready for them yet. Maybe when I have a more heavily planted tank and more algae.

They're smaller and cute, but a little more touchy. Now thay Im thinking about it, they might not do well in the temp that gbr will want.

severum mama said:

Just a thought. I know i love them. I didnt know they were thatt hard to feed, but okay!

JMO, but I say stick with your bronze corys. Personally, I like how mig the females get. OYu can see theri cute barbels so much better. :) I still think you would be fine to have a few more than 6, but since you own 6, thats a relly good starting place. After all, you can always add more later if you see fit, or just decide to leave it as is. I think my new fish-keeping motto will be that its usually easier to add fish than to re-home fish. :)

They're smaller and cute, but a little more touchy. Now thay Im thinking about it, they might not do well in the temp that gbr will want.

Just a thought. I know i love them. I didnt know they were thatt hard to feed, but okay!

JMO, but I say stick with your bronze corys. Personally, I like how mig the females get. OYu can see theri cute barbels so much better. :) I still think you would be fine to have a few more than 6, but since you own 6, thats a relly good starting place. After all, you can always add more later if you see fit, or just decide to leave it as is. I think my new fish-keeping motto will be that its usually easier to add fish than to re-home fish. :)

I decided against the pandas and am keeping the bronze where they are. Still sticking with my original stocking plan.

Lol this is one of the first times youv said this bro! Cool!

I like your plan, keep with it

Hahaha. True.
Bruins, I think you have a good stocking plan in mind. :) I really think your tank will be good with a bit less going on than you have had in the past.

Nah-ah! I remember...there was that one time...maybe a different thread....oh who am I kidding. Yes, this is the first time I've said it. It's my New Year's Resolution.

Hahaha. True.
Bruins, I think you have a good stocking plan in mind. :) I really think your tank will be good with a bit less going on than you have had in the past.

Thanks! I have learned my lesson after five months having this tank. No more overstocked.com for me!

Just a quick little update.

I got rid of the betta's and the gourami today.

And I looked around at the LFS. Hopefully I can go to the better one today as well. The one I went to recently had 3 different types of CO2 systems there (at least I think). Here are pictures:
Hopefully I will get pics of some more at the other LFS. Which one do you think is the best option for me so far?

Attachments

• image-2818876987.jpg
    image-2818876987.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 38
  • image-3127183287.jpg
    image-3127183287.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-3678653810.jpg
    image-3678653810.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
bruinsbro1997 said:
Just a quick little update.

I got rid of the betta's and the gourami today.

And I looked around at the LFS. Hopefully I can go to the better one today as well. The one I went to recently had 3 different types of CO2 systems there (at least I think). Here are pictures:
Hopefully I will get pics of some more at the other LFS. Which one do you think is the best option for me so far?

Sounds very cool! Did you see any nice fiah at te lfs that you might be considering?

Sorry, i dont know much about the co2 systems, but good luck with choosing! :)

Gboy66 said:
Sounds very cool! Did you see any nice fiah at te lfs that you might be considering?

Sorry, i dont know much about the co2 systems, but good luck with choosing! :)

No, except a silver arowana tht had a 50 dollar price tag.

I know, hopefully I'll get to go to the other LFS today and post some more pics of the othe CO2 systems :)

I think the first and third ones are just diffusion methods, much like the reactors that you can DIY. The Fluval CO2 system works, but with a larger tanks (ie >10g) you're going to be flying though the CO2 packs, and those buggers are spendy.

Just an update 12/28

I think the first and third ones are just diffusion methods, much like the reactors that you can DIY. The Fluval CO2 system works, but with a larger tanks (ie >10g) you're going to be flying though the CO2 packs, and those buggers are spendy.

Okay, none.

I went to the other LFS, but their CO2 that included everything plus the can of CO2 was 250+ dollars minimum and w/o the can 150+ dollars, both without tax. No way am I getting CO2 there, overpriced IMO. Do you recommend any places where I can get a cheap CO2 system online?

I also am starting my new tank stocking.

Didn't want to stock too much at once, so I got
X6 Jumbo Cardinal Tetras
They were 4.99 each, so I didn't want to get too many. Figured I could fill the rest of the school later.
X2 Guppies, plus one freebie
One is very pinkish/red/yellow and orange with hints of green, the other blue/purple/hints of green/yellow. I think the first one is a male and the second is a female. The freebie is a baby with no coloration, if it survives I would love to see how it turns out!
X4 Amano Shrimp
Do these really go out of water? I'm open top and don't really want a hood. When the LFS guy was netting them out they were moving around on the net.
The guppies and amanos are getting the regular floating bag acclimation, cards drip acclimated for at least 2 hours, don't wanna screw it up.

Did I stock too much at once? I thought it wasn't that bad since guppies and small tetras don't have a big bioload and shrimp don't constitute much, but am I adding too much? I hope I didn't, that was just my logic to the situation.

They did have pearl gouramis, but there was no orange coloration I could find anywhere to sex them. Will have to order them online if I can get the chance, still waiting for my dad's OK to order online.

Will my lighting affect my CO2? It's a T5HO double watt with 39 watts each bulb, 16 inches deep w/ 3-4 inch substrate give or take. Medium light? Good enough for CO2?

Also, do you still have to dose ferts while dosing CO2?

I will post pics when they are all good and acclimated and swimming around the tank freely.

So far this is how it looks like stock wise:
X6 cardinal tetras
X10 rasboras
X2 guppies, maybe 3
X6 bronze cories
X1 GBR

Planning to get on my next break on MLK day:
X3 pearl gouramis
X4 cardinal tetras

That's it for me, I guess. Nothing else to add except plants I've been wanting.

Unless...

Flying fox? Nah...heard they're aggressive and I thought they needed two to be happy, don't think my tank will support them.

My hair algae problem still isn't going away. I'm finding myself manually removing it a lot of times and even though I am doubling my doses of Flourish Excel and Iron, it's not going away. What do I do?

The stock sounds good. Honestly, that was kind of a lot to add at once, but as long as you keep a close eye ony our params, it shouldn't really be a huge deal (hopefully). I am guessing all those fish were smallish, so that helps.
Good luck! Hopefully the new guys all do well!

Back
Top Bottom