The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I think that stock sounds pretty good. You will definitely be full, but do-able. I love platys. I have had some really awesome ones. They come in such great colors. :)

Ooh...well, it's kinda hard. I sorta like the first CO2 method because it doesn't make my tank look like an oversized soda bottle and it's cheaper, but on the other hand the I like the second CO2 one you linked because it seems more efficient with CO2 and less messier.

Also, if you run out of CO2, do you just get a new tank of it or something?

If you send me some plants, I'll send you a green "I Love Glosso Haters" tee.

When I buy CO2, I just give the welding shop my tank and they give me another tank that's full. I bought the tank there, so it's easy for everyone. I think it was like $15 last time I filled it? If they don't do that, then they'll just hook it up to some sort of tank and refill it.

HOnestly, I think your tank would still be lovely and full without the pencils. Its all up to you, but the more I look at the stock list, I sort of think all those schools might be a bit much. I do still think its do-able but it might be wiser to start without the pencils (if they are indeed the school you are least attached to) because you can always add them later if you decide that would do well in there. :)

When I buy CO2, I just give the welding shop my tank and they give me another tank that's full. I bought the tank there, so it's easy for everyone. I think it was like $15 last time I filled it? If they don't do that, then they'll just hook it up to some sort of tank and refill it.

Okay, let me see if I can find a welding shop around here that's not too far away.

HOnestly, I think your tank would still be lovely and full without the pencils. Its all up to you, but the more I look at the stock list, I sort of think all those schools might be a bit much. I do still think its do-able but it might be wiser to start without the pencils (if they are indeed the school you are least attached to) because you can always add them later if you decide that would do well in there. :)

Okay, I'll add everything but the pencils. We'll see how it goes :)

One more picture:
img_1706446_0_47d517f9f4b9c98940a561b74f7fc782.jpg

I like to call them the Betta Twins.

Hope you like :)

Please keep this thread on topic. We have a chat room for chit chat. Thank you.

They are both very pretty! Are oyu hoping to sell them, or just get 3 more tanks?

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have any spare tanks for them, and I don't think they'd be happy going from a forty gallon to the five gallon down in the bottom cabinet, so I think they'd be better when they get a new home at the LFS.

Please keep this thread on topic. We have a chat room for chit chat. Thank you.

Will do. (y)

Awesome! Do you ever see them bickering?
Thanks! For some strange reason, no. Although they get into fights, and do nip at each other when they get mad, surprisingly they avoid each other or hang out. They completely ignore the third one. Still, I want what's best for them, I don't know how long the peace in the tank will last before they really show their true colors so I want them seperated.

I like your idea for pearl gouramis once those bettas go. My experience with them is that they are far more peaceful than most angelfish. I think you could do a pair or trio depending on what else you decide to stock.

I'm only trying to offer constructive feedback with the rest of this post, so please don't take this the wrong way, but my advice is to slow down and think before you buy. I read through this entire thread today and I noticed a few situations where you bought something on impulse and it caused problems for your tank- like the chocolate gouramis, for example. I keep those as well, and I am convinced that the only reason they are still alive is because they are in a small tank with only a few panda cories, and I use Indian Almond leaves to create a blackwater environment even though my tap water is already quite soft. As you have seen, they aren't really a great choice for an active community tank. I'm thinking along the same lines about the pencilfish- these are quite shy and may even stay small enough to be eaten by pearl gouramis. They're also extremely poor shippers IME so it may be tough for you to find healthy specimens in a LFS.

It's easy to get excited about new species that you see, and it's tempting to try all of them- believe me, I understand. But, at the same time, you have to work within the confines of the stock list that you already have. Your tank will be a lot more enjoyable and cause you a lot less stress. Hope that makes sense. Again, this is meant as constructive feedback and not criticism.

Back
Top Bottom