The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like your idea for pearl gouramis once those bettas go. My experience with them is that they are far more peaceful than most angelfish. I think you could do a pair or trio depending on what else you decide to stock.

I'm only trying to offer constructive feedback with the rest of this post, so please don't take this the wrong way, but my advice is to slow down and think before you buy. I read through this entire thread today and I noticed a few situations where you bought something on impulse and it caused problems for your tank- like the chocolate gouramis, for example. I keep those as well, and I am convinced that the only reason they are still alive is because they are in a small tank with only a few panda cories, and I use Indian Almond leaves to create a blackwater environment even though my tap water is already quite soft. As you have seen, they aren't really a great choice for an active community tank. I'm thinking along the same lines about the pencilfish- these are quite shy and may even stay small enough to be eaten by pearl gouramis. They're also extremely poor shippers IME so it may be tough for you to find healthy specimens in a LFS.

It's easy to get excited about new species that you see, and it's tempting to try all of them- believe me, I understand. But, at the same time, you have to work within the confines of the stock list that you already have. Your tank will be a lot more enjoyable and cause you a lot less stress. Hope that makes sense. Again, this is meant as constructive feedback and not criticism.

It's understandable. Trust me, I learned my lesson with impulse buys after the rummynose tetras and the chocolate gouramis. I won't be buying all these fish at once, probably gradually since I kinda want to drip acclimate all of them to the tank.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Maybe I should ditch the pencilfish, as when I asked the store how long they'd been keeping them in there, they said two months, and they were still very small. Perhaps not.

I've always heard trios work well. Have you seen any fighting at all between your trio or is it all peace?

Decided
X2 (maybe 3) Pearl Gouramis
X10 Espei Rasboras
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X10 Bronze Cories
X1 GBR

For now. Maybe I shouldn't try the otos as they have a reputation for being sensitive fish, and I've had my fair share. Also wait on the platies and pencilfish until I'm very sure what I know what I'm doing.

Again, thank you all for the feedback. Wouldn't have gotten this far without you. Appreciate it :)

You know, I have only kept them in the long term once. I had a few females and they lived together nicely while I had them. When I purchased, I didn't know how to sex them (was a few years back). I will say though, that I have kept groups of 12 in both a 75 gal and a 40 BR and, although these fish are not at max adult size, they are sexually mature and I have not noticed any conspecific aggression. Of course, I am not recommending that you put 12 pearl gouramis in your 40 gal, as my stock is a temporary situation with few other fish in the tank, only offering it as a suggestion that a trio should be fine.

I like the stock list that you have now, with one exception. Bronze (aeneus) cories are a larger species of Corydoras, and trust me, if you have ever seen adults, you would probably agree that a 40BR would be a tight fit for 10 of them. The fish you're likely to encounter in most shops are nowhere near adult size. If you were looking at something smaller, like pandas, I'd say 10 would be fine, but with aeneus I would personally do 6-8 max.

severum mama said:
You know, I have only kept them in the long term once. I had a few females and they lived together nicely while I had them. When I purchased, I didn't know how to sex them (was a few years back). I will say though, that I have kept groups of 12 in both a 75 gal and a 40 BR and, although these fish are not at max adult size, they are sexually mature and I have not noticed any conspecific aggression. Of course, I am not recommending that you put 12 pearl gouramis in your 40 gal, as my stock is a temporary situation with few other fish in the tank, only offering it as a suggestion that a trio should be fine.

I like the stock list that you have now, with one exception. Bronze (aeneus) cories are a larger species of Corydoras, and trust me, if you have ever seen adults, you would probably agree that a 40BR would be a tight fit for 10 of them. The fish you're likely to encounter in most shops are nowhere near adult size. If you were looking at something smaller, like pandas, I'd say 10 would be fine, but with aeneus I would personally do 6-8 max.

Definitely not 12, but I would try a trio. What ratio of sexes would you recommend, or do you recommend a single gender trio? How do you sex them?

Oh, okay. How long do they take to grow. The ones I have are two inches for the males, the two females three inches. I have six currently.

Bruins, when I use the term 'trio' it refers to 1M/2F. 'Pair' refers to 1M/1F ratio.

I would recommend a pair or trio for your tank. Pearls are really easy to sex once they get some size on them. At about 2.5 inches total length, it's easy to differentiate. The males will have much brighter orange on the "throat", and they often have extensions on the anal fin. Males also have a more pointed dorsal fin. Females have the same beautiful spots, and show a little orange under the "chin", but have a more rounded dorsal fin, and lack the filament extensions on the anal fin.

I'm lost- are you saying that you already have 6 pearls?

severum mama said:
Bruins, when I use the term 'trio' it refers to 1M/2F. 'Pair' refers to 1M/1F ratio.

I would recommend a pair or trio for your tank. Pearls are really easy to sex once they get some size on them. At about 2.5 inches total length, it's easy to differentiate. The males will have much brighter orange on the "throat", and they often have extensions on the anal fin. Males also have a more pointed dorsal fin. Females have the same beautiful spots, and show a little orange under the "chin", but have a more rounded dorsal fin, and lack the filament extensions on the anal fin.

Oh he has 6 bronze corys already.

I love the idea of the pearls by the way, really cool.

Just a note, with my albino bronze corys, the females are far bigger than the males like with peppered corys. Obviously, the exact genetics determines the potential full size, but I would say 10 bronze corys could work out with his floor space depending on how many females there are. Although, you probably are right that a few less would be a little better. After all, with non-territorial fish like corys, its easier to add fish than to take fish away.
Bruins, I am glad you are thinking about a bit less stock. I think you will run into far fewer problems with less stock. :)

EDIT: I should note that my albino came from a chain store when I was younger and had less money, so my experience may be tainted by poor genetics. JME.

Again, it is JMO. I have seen some aeneus at auction that simply dwarf the fish you see at the lfs. Yes, females are bigger, but adult males aren't too small either. LOL. :)

Nutrition plays a bigger role than anyone ever admits. I've seen sibling fish raised in different environments that could eat the other siblings.

Okay, gotcha (y)
The pearls at my LFS are around that size (about the lenght of my index finger), so I may be able to sex them, I'll keep this in mind.

Oh he has 6 bronze corys already.

I love the idea of the pearls by the way, really cool.

Yep you're right, I have six already.

Just a note, with my albino bronze corys, the females are far bigger than the males like with peppered corys. Obviously, the exact genetics determines the potential full size, but I would say 10 bronze corys could work out with his floor space depending on how many females there are. Although, you probably are right that a few less would be a little better. After all, with non-territorial fish like corys, its easier to add fish than to take fish away.
Bruins, I am glad you are thinking about a bit less stock. I think you will run into far fewer problems with less stock. :)

EDIT: I should note that my albino came from a chain store when I was younger and had less money, so my experience may be tainted by poor genetics. JME.

I agree. Maybe I should less stock, it seems to be the easier option. I'm not sure how big they were when I got them, but they've grown quite a bit since I got them.

Again, it is JMO. I have seen some aeneus at auction that simply dwarf the fish you see at the lfs. Yes, females are bigger, but adult males aren't too small either. LOL. :)

I'll try to post a size reference picture when I can so you can see how big they are :)

Nutrition plays a bigger role than anyone ever admits. I've seen sibling fish raised in different environments that could eat the other siblings.

Maybe. Some of my males are smaller than my other males. Some of my females are also supersized compared to the biggest males. I feed them Omega One Sinking Pellets two to three times a week, but I'm running out of them. Would you recommend NLS or Hikari instead? Bloodworms? I've had them for approx. six or so months. Some have really sprouted, others growing slowly, and I've been feeding Omega One for the past year.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Merry Christmas Everyone!
:wave:
Just wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday and hope you have a wonderful time celebrating! :)

You to bro! Hope you get that 75 gallon high tec planted tank..;)

merry christmas to you too! just saw this thread (forgive me... didn't have time to read the whole thing) if you'd really like to do 12 cories, maybe you could do 6 bronze like you have now and 6 pandas? just a thought. :)

You to bro! Hope you get that 75 gallon high tec planted tank..;)

Haha thanks :)

merry christmas to you too! just saw this thread (forgive me... didn't have time to read the whole thing) if you'd really like to do 12 cories, maybe you could do 6 bronze like you have now and 6 pandas? just a thought. :)

Thank you! :welcome: to AA! :)

Hmm maybe. Would that compromise anything though?

You may risking cluttering things if you have so many small schools. It might also be interesting to stock a larger number of a smaller species rather than a moderate number of a larger species like bronze cories.

aqua_chem said:
You may risking cluttering things if you have so many small schools. It might also be interesting to stock a larger number of a smaller species rather than a moderate number of a larger species like bronze cories.

Agreed. Haha get rid of those bronze corys and go for like 15 pygmys lol!

true, then i would go with severum mama's advice. :)

Haha okay, back where we started :)

Very true. This is what I am thinking of as of now:
X3 Pearl Gouramis
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X10 Harlequin/Espei Rasboras
X1 GBR
X6 Bronze Cories (sorry, I can't get rid of these guys, I love 'em too much)

Sound alright?
Also, as for CO2, I looked at the sticky in the Planted Tank section of AA and found out how to set it up. Does that work for all sorts of types of CO2 diffusion methods of just a particular one? Is that how I get my CO2 system started?

Agreed. Haha get rid of those bronze corys and go for like 15 pygmys lol!

I can't!!! I love them, they're one of the last remaining orignal fish I ever bought! (three cories and one GBR). Would hate to see them go. Besides, pygmy cory prices are outrageous here.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Also, as for CO2, I looked at the sticky in the Planted Tank section of AA and found out how to set it up. Does that work for all sorts of types of CO2 diffusion methods of just a particular one? Is that how I get my CO2 system started?

The regulator is the same for all methods. The diffusion method is the only thing thats variable, really.

Oh youv had them that long? I didnt expect that!

Definatly dont get rid of them, i take back my comment lol. I have had some glowlights for almost a year, and even though they arent crazy awesome to most, i wouldnt trade them for anything...(okay maybe a ram:))

Are pygmys that expensive? I knew they were pricey..but maybe you could get a few and slowly add to them along with the 6 bronze corys

Back
Top Bottom