The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for bulbs for the lighting fixture, instead of getting Flora Sun and Ultra Sun bulbs, I got some that were on clearance! It was really cheap, six dollars for these bulbs! Do you think that a 39w 33" RedWave Flourescent Bulb and a 39w 33" Super Blue Actinic 460 Bulb should provide enough light for the plants?
I may be mistaken but the 39w 33" Super Blue Actinic bulb will not provide much light that is usable by plants but T5HO bulbs are another animal so you cannot use watts per gallon measurement. I would say you have medium light at best.

I may be mistaken but the 39w 33" Super Blue Actinic bulb will not provide much light that is usable by plants but T5HO bulbs are another animal so you cannot use watts per gallon measurement. I would say you have medium light at best.

Should I return the Actinic bulb and get another one Red one instead? It seems to be faulty anyway, it's not turning on, so I think I'll just replace it.

Should I return the Actinic bulb and get another one Red one instead? It seems to be faulty anyway, it's not turning on, so I think I'll just replace it.
Wait until someone else weighs in on the subject. I am not an expert...

On my 20g Long which is much shorter than your 40g breeder, I have one 24w T5HO and one 24w Actinic which many call and a chart which I will look up the link if I can find it, med high to high light.

Sorry, could not find the spreadsheet chart about lighting...someone here had posted it and I thought I saved it.

According to the chart, my lighting is too much for any plants. That means I have to move it higher? My tank is 16 inches high, and according to the chart it's too much light with a T5 HO Dual Bulb fixture. Should I buy less intense bulbs?

I know! I've only had this on my thirty gallon for a temporary home for these plants and they're already growing really quickly! My crypt has definitely perked up, and my rotala is starting to turn pinkish in color! My glossostigma is going nuts, it's already carpeting and I don't know how I'll be able to get it out of the tank and put it in the forty! Maybe I should cut back on the Flourish Excel. It's 39 watts though, and it has two 33 Watt bulbs in it. Is that too much light?

I maybe incorrect but you might just have one T5HO bulb since your second one is an Actinic bulb which gives little usable light to your plants.

Update!

Got the finish and such to get this stand ready! Going to paint it and gloss it, can't wait! Then we move in the tank :)

Unfortunately...

My little cousin was playing in the area where the fish tank is and she accidentally fell in the tank! She wasn't hurt, but she broke the glass cover on it! So now there is glass all over the inside of the tank. I'm going to have to clean that and then buy another one...

On the other hand, the plants are doing great! They are really starting to grow in the short time I've had them! :)

Update!

Got the finish and such to get this stand ready! Going to paint it and gloss it, can't wait! Then we move in the tank :)

Unfortunately...

My little cousin was playing in the area where the fish tank is and she accidentally fell in the tank! She wasn't hurt, but she broke the glass cover on it! So now there is glass all over the inside of the tank. I'm going to have to clean that and then buy another one...

On the other hand, the plants are doing great! They are really starting to grow in the short time I've had them! :)
Aagghh!:eek: I am glad she is ok, but that is a bummer. Great news about the plants though!

Too bad about your tank. One thing I always worry about is people having a tank or deep bucket with water in it and having a child go in head first and not be able to get out. Glad she didn't get cut! Sorry about your cover-easier to replace than she is.:)

Aagghh!:eek: I am glad she is ok, but that is a bummer. Great news about the plants though!

Too bad about your tank. One thing I always worry about is people having a tank or deep bucket with water in it and having a child go in head first and not be able to get out. Glad she didn't get cut! Sorry about your cover-easier to replace than she is.:)

Thanks guys! We cleaned it out tonight and removed all the glass. Now it's finally home, all we need to do is figure out where to put it now! :)

Pics up tomorrow!

Update!

So I asked around about the boeseman's and australian rainbows in my tank, and I asked a question on this website, rainbowfish.info/forums, and it seems that threadfins are going to be too shy for the boesmans because they are so boisterous! Also said it should be in a school of six. Does anyone have an opinion on that? If it's true I might have to change my stocking list around. AGAIN!

More bad news! My thirty gallon has sprung a leak and it's getting really bad! Thank God we're moving it out and emptying it today or tomorrow! Whew.

As far as stocking goes, this is what it may end up looking like:
X6 boesmans????
X6 rummynose tetras
X2 angels
X6 emerald brochis
X1 GBR
X1 Honey DG
X4 SAEs

Oh btw, anyone know of a good but cheap lighting timer? I can't control when I get home so lights end up being on twelve hours a day, which I know is too long.

I don't know about the stocking but I use a timer for my turtle tank and it works wonderfully! It's just one if the cheap ones from Walmart:)

As far as stocking goes, this is what it may end up looking like:
X6 boesmans????
X6 rummynose tetras
X2 angels
X6 emerald brochis
X1 GBR
X1 Honey DG
X4 SAEs

hrrm...40 gallon breeder is too small for a school of boesmans. They grow pretty large (4-5 inches) They are active and like lots of open swimming room. I'd recommend a 4 foot tank minimum.

But if you really like them (I agree they are really pretty!), then remove the rummynose school.
Also, you only need 1 SAE to clean the algae.

Apart from that - it looks good :)

Back
Top Bottom