The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about the stocking but I use a timer for my turtle tank and it works wonderfully! It's just one if the cheap ones from Walmart:)

Thanks! I'll see if they have one at the LFS-the nearest Walmart here is a thirty minute drive! :D

hrrm...40 gallon breeder is too small for a school of boesmans. They grow pretty large (4-5 inches) They are active and like lots of open swimming room. I'd recommend a 4 foot tank minimum.

But if you really like them (I agree they are really pretty!), then remove the rummynose school.
Also, you only need 1 SAE to clean the algae.

Apart from that - it looks good :)

Maybe only three boesmans?

Oh, but I heard SAEs participate in really interesting behavior when they're in groups!

Maybe only three boesmans?
hahaha - you must REALLY like them!

go for it. But 4 makes a better school... :whistle:

;);)

Oh, but I heard SAEs participate in really interesting behavior when they're in groups!

but they grow fairly large - and poop alot.

interesting behaviour? they just chase each other and compete for algae.

Update!

Finally got everything ready for the tank! Pics will go up soon :) I have decided to keep most of the fish. So I revised the stocking list again.
6 cherry barbs
4 cardinal tetras (soon to be 7)
2 GBRs (females)
1 gold honey DG (soon to be a trio)
8 emerald brochis
1 female betta imbellis
5 boesman's
2 angels
6 rummynoses

Can anyone tell me if that's good stocking, or will I have to cut some fish on the list? Looking at it, I think it sounds overstocked...

Update!

Finally got everything ready for the tank! Pics will go up soon :) I have decided to keep most of the fish. So I revised the stocking list again.
6 cherry barbs
4 cardinal tetras (soon to be 7)
2 GBRs (females)
1 gold honey DG (soon to be a trio)
8 emerald brochis
1 female betta imbellis
5 boesman's
2 angels
6 rummynoses

Can anyone tell me if that's good stocking, or will I have to cut some fish on the list? Looking at it, I think it sounds overstocked...

:eek: that's alot of fish. I feel you are overstocked for a 40 gallon.
There are 3 schooling groups (rainbowfish, barbs, tetras). Pick just 1 !
You are also mixing gourami/betta - not recommended

Since you are going to the LFS today, might I say you return the following highlighted fish

Alternatively, the highlighted fish can go into another tank setup.

Bubble_B0y said:
:eek: that's alot of fish. I feel you are overstocked.
There are 3 schooling groups (rainbowfish, barbs, tetras). Pick just 1 !
You are also mixing gourami/betta - not recommended

Since you are going to the LFS today, might I say you return the following highlighted fish

Alternatively, the highlighted fish can go into another tank setup.

Don't worry, the highlighted fish will go in an alternative thirty tank (cherry barbs and cardinal tetras).

Actually, the gold honey DG and betta have been living together for quite awhile, no problems so far...

Watch your angels. If they choose to pair up, you likely have problems because of the number of mid-top dwellers in there.
Sorry, but are you saying that you are definitely cutting the cherry barbs and cardinals from the 40 gallon set-up and putting them in a different tank?

Watch your angels. If they choose to pair up, you likely have problems because of the number of mid-top dwellers in there.
Sorry, but are you saying that you are definitely cutting the cherry barbs and cardinals from the 40 gallon set-up and putting them in a different tank?

Yeah, I guess so...or I could always choose the cardinals, rehome the cherry barbs, cut the rummies, and add four boesman's...maybe that's what I'll do.

have you re-evaluated your stocking list - what does your setup look like now?

I would personally do the following...

2 angelfish (pair)
2 German Blue Rams (pair)
1 honey Dwarf Gourami
8 rummynose tetras
6 emerald corydoras

i just feel its more balanced.

But you really like the boesemans rainbowfish. A small school gets very large for a 40gallon.

Maybe the better question is...
Which fish do you currently have? That way you can build your stock around your current fish.

Bubble_B0y said:
have you re-evaluated your stocking list - what does your setup look like now?

I would personally do the following...

2 angelfish (pair)
2 German Blue Rams (pair)
1 honey Dwarf Gourami
8 rummynose tetras
6 emerald corydoras

i just feel its more balanced.

But you really like the boesemans rainbowfish. A small school gets very large for a 40gallon.

Maybe the better question is...
Which fish do you currently have? That way you can build your stock around your current fish.

This is what I have now:
X5 cherry barbs
X4 cardinal tetras
X3 GBRs (one male, one female, the other undefined, keeps changing color and it's dot is blue and then black, blue and black...)
X6 emerald cories
X1 gold honey DG
X1 betta imbellis

Reason I'm wanting to move the Boesman is because she is in a thirty gallon right now that is more tall than long, figured she'd be a lot more happier in a 40...for a better explanation:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/temporary-home-for-2-rainbows-165032.html

cool !! this makes it easier :cool:

Using your current stock, I'd recommend dividing the fish as follows:

30 gallon Tall
1 GBR
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 betta imbellis
4 cardinal tetras
6 emerald cories
1 Angelfish (they do better in the taller tank. My only concern is that betta :nono:)

40 gallon Breeder
5 cherry barbs (they will appreciate the extra room)
2 GBRs (your male and female pair)
4-5 Boesemans rainbowfish (They are active fish. And like you said, they will be happier in the longer tank) ;)

Now you can play around with the stocking list - fill out the schools, add more fish etc...
The cories will be happy in either the 30 gallon or 40 gallon. It's your decision
(Perhaps keep the emeralds in the 30gallon and add a different corydoras species to your 40gallon, or get loaches, or get an oddball bottom feeder...)

Cheers!:fish1:

Bubble_B0y said:
cool !! this makes it easier :cool:

Using your current stock, I'd recommend dividing them as follows:

30 gallon Tall
1 GBR
1 honey DG
1 betta imbellis
4 cardinal tetras
6 emerald cories
1 Angelfish (they do better in the taller tank. My only concern is that betta :nono:)

40 gallon Breeder
5 cherry barbs (they will appreciate the extra room)
2 GBRs (your male and female pair)
4-5 Boesemans rainbowfish (They are active fish. And like you said, they will be happier in the longer tank) ;)

Now you can play around with the stocking list - fill out the schools, add more fish etc...
The cories will be happy in either the 30 gallon or 40 gallon. It's your decision
(Perhaps keep the emeralds in the 30gallon, and add a different corydoras species to your 40gallon? or get loaches, or get an oddball bottom feeder...)

Cheers!:fish1:

Okay, but the thing is...

There's already another gold gourami and Australian rainbow in the tank with the angel...

I kinda wanna keep the gold honey...I think I could move the cardinals and betta into a ten gallon! I also wanted the cories in my tank, and bump their school to ten...is that okay???

Sorry for all the questions! This is all happening in another month or two, my mom has just informed me I am out of funds...:D

you have ALOT of fish :banghead:
LOL !!

put the gold gourami in the 40 gallon breeder.
I don't trust it with the betta and honey Dwarf Gourami. There just isn't enough surface area to establish several territories in the 30 gallon tall.

the Australian rainbow can go with the boesemans in the 40 gallon breeder.

10 cories? oh my...
6 is sufficient to clean a 40 gallon. I guess you can get away with 8 :hide:

so your updated tanks will look like this.........
30 gallon Tall
1 GBR
1 honey DG
1 betta imbellis
4 cardinal tetras
1 Angelfish

40 gallon breeder
5 cherry barbs
2 GBRs
1 Gold gourami
5 rainbowfish (4 Boesemans and 1 australian)
8 emerald cories

how does that look?

Bubble_B0y said:
you have ALOT of fish :banghead:
LOL !!

put the gold gourami in the 40 gallon breeder.
I don't trust it with the betta and honey Dwarf Gourami. There just isn't enough surface area to establish several territories in the 30 gallon tall.

the Australian rainbow can go with the boesemans in the 40 gallon breeder.

10 cories? oh my...
6 is sufficient to clean a 40 gallon. I guess you can get away with 8 :hide:

so your updated tanks will look like this.........
30 gallon Tall
1 GBR
1 honey DG
1 betta imbellis
4 cardinal tetras
1 Angelfish

40 gallon breeder
5 cherry barbs
2 GBRs
1 Gold gourami
4 Boesemans rainbowfish & 1 australian rainbow
8 emerald cories

how does that look?

I think I'm going to give the betta her own tank with the cardinals and it'll be a ten gallon...do you think so?

Okay, only eight cories. I'm sorry but I REALLY want the gold honey DG, I'm too attached to them!

What about this?

10 Gallon:
Betta
Cardinal tetras

30 Gallon:
Angel
Gold Gourami
GBR

40 Gallon:
Boesmans+Austrailian
Gold Honey DG
Emerald Cories
Cherry Barbs

Sound good? :)

I think I'm going to give the betta her own tank with the cardinals and it'll be a ten gallon...do you think so?

Okay, only eight cories. I'm sorry but I REALLY want the gold honey DG, I'm too attached to them!

What about this?

10 Gallon:
Betta
Cardinal tetras

30 Gallon:
Angel
Gold Gourami
GBR

40 Gallon:
Boesmans+Austrailian
Gold Honey DG
Emerald Cories
Cherry Barbs

Sound good? :)

IMO it looks good.

agreed - that looks much better and more balanced.

trust me, i know how you feel. This hobby is addictive !!!
There are so many fish I would like to own, but don't have the tank space :lol:

Thanks guys!

Is there any possibility I could...um...add to the stocking list in the 40 gallon???

wow, the 3 tanks certainly helped divide the load!
And now they are all understocked :lol:

good luck running and upkeeping 3 tanks! It's Alot of work!

What do you want to add to the 40 gallon?

Bubble_B0y said:
wow, the 3 tanks certainly helped divide the load!
And now they are all understocked :lol:

good luck running and upkeeping 3 tanks! It's Alot of work!

What do you want to add to the 40 gallon?

Haha yep! My 30 Gallon is actually at my grandma's house, so we kinda divvy up the work. :)

I wanted to finish the stock off with a trio of platies, a school of rummy-nose tetras, another honey gold DG, and a pair of angelfish. Am I pushing the boundaries again?

Also, I can no longer get plants. So I'm stuck with the plants I have and was wondering: when you prune plants can you just replant the clippings somewhere else in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom