The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think SAE eat most algae. I've read that they are one of the best algae eaters.

Hey its the "newbie", but I've been reading this thread since I got home, as you know I just got hear and you and I seem to have some of the same interests in fish. The pair of angels I have now were not purchased with the intent of breeding, but they are beginning to act like they want to. I had a pair prior to this that did breed and before I got rid of my Gold gourami he tormented the angels A LOT!.

Other than that opinion it sounds like a great tank! (with a lot of fish). You've got me so excited, I'm going to buy some more plants and fish this weekend. I sure do want some GBR's, but I'm scared of their difficulty level so I'm going for a dwarf blue gourami.

have fun!!

JoeBob said:
Hey its the "newbie", but I've been reading this thread since I got home, as you know I just got hear and you and I seem to have some of the same interests in fish. The pair of angels I have now were not purchased with the intent of breeding, but they are beginning to act like they want to. I had a pair prior to this that did breed and before I got rid of my Gold gourami he tormented the angels A LOT!.

Other than that opinion it sounds like a great tank! (with a lot of fish). You've got me so excited, I'm going to buy some more plants and fish this weekend. I sure do want some GBR's, but I'm scared of their difficulty level so I'm going for a dwarf blue gourami.

have fun!!

Thanks! I'm watching out for the angel pair, don't worry :)

GBR's are not as difficult as they sound. I've had mine survive mini-cycles, ammonia spikes, even full blown tank wipeouts! I got mine from a reputable LFS, and once you get them used to the tank they are great fish :)

Update!

As it turns out, I'm not going to be giving the tank away. Turns out my cousin doesn't want it. Well, looks like its time to tear it down and start a saltwater tank :) As for fish, don't worry, they will be given to my grandma which she will put in her own tanks. Any she doesn't want I'm giving to any LFS who wants them but I think she'll take them.

Going to start building the table tomorrow. I cut a deal with my mom. I currently have 400$ in cash. Half goes to education, other towards fish. So only 200$. Gotta be careful about that!

Tank planned to be moved in this weekend. Can't wait! :) BTW anyone know how to setup a QT? I think I'll use my five gallon as a QT instead.

Update!

As it turns out, I'm not going to be giving the tank away. Turns out my cousin doesn't want it. Well, looks like its time to tear it down and start a saltwater tank :) As for fish, don't worry, they will be given to my grandma which she will put in her own tanks. Any she doesn't want I'm giving to any LFS who wants them but I think she'll take them.

Going to start building the table tomorrow. I cut a deal with my mom. I currently have 400$ in cash. Half goes to education, other towards fish. So only 200$. Gotta be careful about that!

Tank planned to be moved in this weekend. Can't wait! :) BTW anyone know how to setup a QT? I think I'll use my five gallon as a QT instead.

I need to know that too! im using my old 10 gallon for a temporary QT tank right now. it was cycled, and ive never had a problem with it, but ive had to use an ich treatment before. it still works great though. im not sure its the best thing though... youd be better off asking the better experts here.

Update!

So I talked my mom out of the coffee table and now we're looking into aquarium stands. Hopefully it'll be the same price if not less as the coffee table!

Stocking has changed...
X1 GBR
X1 Honey DG
X2 Angels
X7 Threadfin Rainbows
X6 Rummynose Tetras
X8 Emerald Brochis
X4 SAEs
X1 Boeseaman's Rainbow
X1 Australian Rainbow

For information on how those last two rainbows ended up in the stocking list, see here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/temporary-home-for-2-rainbows-165032.html

Here I go again gettin myself in the lighting discussion...I never knew it was such a "diverse" topic! I have java fern, red ludwigia, amazon sword, wisteria, hornwort, cabamba, and some other red thing I can't remember the name of! LOL. On my 55 I have 2 T8 dual fixture hoods, now I know a lot of people will say that's insufficient, but my plants would differ. JMO take it with a grain of salt and get pics on that thing - I want to watch.

Man - I'm such a rookie! Sorry for the post on a topic from 8,937,462 pages ago.

Haha don't worry I'm going to be getting pics of this tank soon! It's not going to be until this weekend though when we can finally move everything and plant the crap out of this tank so we'll see!

UPDATE!

So I finally got the Zoo-Med Aquasun T5 HO 36" fixture I wanted! It's working great. Although it took a little bit of trouble to setup (I accidentally broke the splash protector, had to use lots of tape!) it provides lots of light to my thrity gallon! The fish are all happy and healthy and active.

I also ordered a tank stand. I decided the coffee table wasn't going to cut it so we got to order one yesterday. It has a cabinet and is sturdy, and although it doesn't have a finish I'm fine with that.

Also got some of the plants from my stocking list yesterday! They are as followed:
-red camboda
-lots of rotala indica!
-some hygros (one unidentified one, and some bits of sunset)
-glossostigma

Pics will go up soon! If anyone could ID the hygro that'd be great!

As for bulbs for the lighting fixture, instead of getting Flora Sun and Ultra Sun bulbs, I got some that were on clearance! It was really cheap, six dollars for these bulbs! Do you think that a 39w 33" RedWave Flourescent Bulb and a 39w 33" Super Blue Actinic 460 Bulb should provide enough light for the plants?

AWESOME!!!!sounds awesome. i have an encyclopedia of plants you can borrow next time i head to california lol... I'll see if i can id it from the pics.

Back
Top Bottom