The Outdoor Breeding project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unstopaBULLFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The last few weeks I have been seriously contemplating whether or not to set up a outdoor breeding tub in my pool patio. There is a screen and everything and it will be outside so in the summer it can get 88 or 90 degrees in the water. As I said before this will be a tub around the 20-50 gallon range. I want YOUR opinion and YOUR advice.Im keeping this short because it's late rn and I have to sleep soon. I'm thinking guppies or endlers but you guys have way more experience with this and I'd love some advice/feedback/reccomendations. Rn, I will work on my parents ( Everything is based on their approval but I'm pretty sure they're cool with it.) So I have done some research and will do a Heck of a lot
More but still what type of barns and rub should I get what filtration stocking etc substrate. Pretty basic to start off.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

What about some wild caught livebearers? Endlers are very pretty little fish too. I think it's a good plan to stick with the livebearers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why??? do you want to do this? Just a question. Reasons and fish variety / type could be different thoughts on the subject.

Jetajockey is doing outdoor breeding and plants. As are some others.

Well I guess I've always wanted to breed fish and produce a healthy colorful line of fish. I just think it's really cool to be able to say you have this fish and that you breed them. I guess I can make some now u off of it but I'd have to check with my LFS's and stuff because I never really considered selling the fish since my parents both work a lot so I wouldn't want them to beg for me to take an hour or more of their time just to drive to and back from the LFS. I have seen other outdoor threads but decided to make my own

Breeding fish is an enjoyable hobby for me. I'm not too concerned with making money. As long as I get enough to buy fish food I'm content

Ha ya, not really looking to make much money just want to be able to pay my parents back some money from when I first got a tank and be able to cover some expenses of my hobby like food, and a portion of my overall costs

That's reasonable. Buy the best stock you can afford and get something the lfs doesn't carry. That's my best advice.

Thx Will do. I've never actually been to a LFS because there are no good fish stores in my area that aren't 30 min away or more. Tbh I've never even been to one. Mainly just gone to fish farms or bought stuff from people or traded

Ah ok. I have to drive around 30 min to all mine. There's one that's about 1.5 tp 2 hours away that I sometimes go to as well. It's easier to do that stuff when you don't have school or what not. If I was married with kids I wouldn't have the freedom to do half the fish stuff I do. Lol

For selling /trading to a market of people you might want to know what is trending for hobbyists.

Something like Black Mollies or Red Tail Guppies are going to be hard even to get rid of let alone sell.

Pick something newer or special and unique. Attractive and not too hard to care for. Have you thought of some kinds of Killifish? German Blue Rams are popular, just make sure you have high quality stock. Dark orange hi coverage Koi Angels, are very popular and cost a decent amount. A lot I just noticed. - Just looked them up and wow what a price! Select Koi Angelfish from Angels Plus

Plants might be a good thing too. Pogostemon helferi can be purchased in the tissue culture packs but it takes a little while to get them to a nice size. So selling nice size or show tank size could net you a healthy return.

Good luck to you, sounds like a fun project.

Not sure corys can hand the heat when it gets like 50 degrees in the winter. But I guess I might have to do a heater if I don't do cold water fish I was offered a pair of breeding killis ( not sure of species) but they were decent. Decided not to take em, also got offered a free breeding pair of kribs from a friend, plus a full grown beautiful Philippine blue angel for the 29 (Declined). I have a ram make and female wild caught if they breed that would be very nice!

Declined a fully grown Blue Angel... That, sir, is not something i would have done!! They are beautiful!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Not sure corys can hand the heat when it gets like 50 degrees in the winter. But I guess I might have to do a heater if I don't do cold water fish I was offered a pair of breeding killis ( not sure of species) but they were decent. Decided not to take em, also got offered a free breeding pair of kribs from a friend, plus a full grown beautiful Philippine blue angel for the 29 (Declined). I have a ram make and female wild caught if they breed that would be very nice!

I don't think I could have declined the killis.

TBH i would've taken it all and either kept them to breed or sold them. Big Angels get me some good $$ around here :) Although if i had a tank for it, i would surely keep it.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Lol I have a 3 and two 1.5's open might be able to breed the kilos in the 88 temp degree water in the 3 with heavy water changes. Could be viable but better do some long research.He was offering me fish left and right lol. He felt
Guilty about the blue angel cause he moved his tanks around and the angel kept on getting moved so he says I have the perfect home. Next time he comes he said he was bringing me a bunch of fish like Moscows, kribs, the blue kilis, ebr( for a price) and mystery apistos. He offered me a crud ton of swords miss and a GIANT crinum. But in the end I had to decline cause two Rams is good enough for me and I won't want to take without giving back.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many options my head hurts must sleep it's 12:00 and I have to wake up at 6:00 Oh cruel world why???

Haha. Ive been on here until 4 in the morning before and had to wake at 7... But oh well.

In response to the "Youre an Aquarium Nerd if..." thread.... Thats how i know im a nerd :) ⬆️

here is my opinion, live bearers defiantly, go to your lfs, and ask around, see what the don't have in terms of live bearers, so most likely endlers, then get some good high quality fish from a breeder that doesn't line breed, put an add in the classifieds section, then fill you bucket, you will need some algae eaters i will say Siamese algae eaters, and full the thing with plants, i would say anacaris, cheep hardy and fast growing cover the bottom in like 2 inches of sand, plant the plants, make sure there is a some dense planted area and a lightly planted area, let it cycle and put the fish in.

it is important to get what the lfs doesn't get in stock, so they will buy the fish, they don't want to buy fish no one wants or the store already has, if you do mollies, and the store has mollies, than you will find yourself with an over stocked bucket, and find yourself putting an add on craigslist for free fish.

That's what I was planning a big step in this will be when I go to the LFS ( for the first time in forever) )literally). I also have to
Check
Groups and what people really want in places. What are some guppies or endlers that you guys have always wanted/ think is cool?

Back
Top Bottom