The Outdoor Breeding project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not.. Will do thx... Just wanted to give a big thx to everyone who's helping out so far I really appreciate it! I just removed 5 danios from and have 3 corys and a oto left in. Should I get those kilis in? My friend said he is bringing that big blue angel no
Matter what I say.... No changing his
Mind so I'll have to step up the WC's even more in the 29.. For livebearers I have yet to find a way to go to a LFS. Leaning on black Moscow apparently nobody can get pairs and trios. Or some type of cool endler like tiger or blue star . They are pricey tho..

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

My lfs can only get male black moscows from the wholesaler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have not.. Will do thx... Just wanted to give a big thx to everyone who's helping out so far I really appreciate it! I just removed 5 danios from and have 3 corys and a oto left in. Should I get those kilis in? My friend said he is bringing that big blue angel no
Matter what I say.... No changing his
Mind so I'll have to step up the WC's even more in the 29.. For livebearers I have yet to find a way to go to a LFS. Leaning on black Moscow apparently nobody can get pairs and trios. Or some type of cool endler like tiger or blue star . They are pricey tho..

i like endlers, people see them as a different fish, while beginners see Moscow blacks, as... well... a black guppy and will often pass them up for a cheaper more colorful fish. they can be pricey, but the more you spend now the more you will get later bacause you can sell them for more, you can sell to the lfs, for 1/3 to 1/2 what the sell them for so if you spend $10 per fish you will get $3 to $5 per baby, but if you spend $1 on each fish you will get $.30 to $.50 per fish

so basically spend more, get more

How about preformed ponds with a few cinderblocks for support. they are pretty strong and people give them away or sell for cheap. I have purchased them for 10-35 and they are 75-125G.

Purple Moscow Guppies. We had a pair win the bowl show at the last aquarium club meeting I was at and they were just stunning. Real purple not blue or pinkish.

10 gallon tanks take up a bunch of time to do pwc. I would try and use 55 gallons for most fish where you can use a divider for babies and breeders if you wanted.

You could also do a simple block trough style with the rubber liner.

- think I mentioned Jetajockey back yard pond breeding project. I think this is it on the way out the door so can verify. The images are still an issue on the site but some seem to be coming back.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/unique-budget-container-pond-build-316134.html

So today I looked on Craigslist for stock tanks.. Found nothing :(. Looked on aqua-bid and found some REALLY nice endlers I particularly liked the platinum a and this really beautiful orchid chili hybrid. Some decent guppies too! Will check out what autumn said tnoight

If you want to get some ideas, a guy on Youtube does outdoor breeding in tubs with Guppies. Just search "Kaimuki Backyard Guppies."

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Today at Home Depot or Menards or Loews I forget which since I was at all 3, they had preformed ponds. They were running $99 for the bigger size. It's end of season so you might check around for clearance prices and equipment in the pond sections.

I have a 40 gallon metal sheep tank that I bought at Murdochs for $90 and have been breeding N-Class Black Bar Endlers in it all summer since late may. I started with 25 and now have around 70+. Im going to sell them all at my local club auction in October and I expect to fetch a pretty decent price for them as they are N-Class. I also did white cloud minnows in the summer of 2014 and started with 12 and had around 40 before a massive hail storm in late july wiped out my stock. I also grow hornwort in the tubs for fry cover and to sell. I used a rubber maid tub for the minnows and hated it because of how it bowed as they really just aren't meant to filled with water non stop. The fish really only do good during the summer and early fall so if you have weather that drops below 55 consistently during the winter I would suggest you not start outdoor breeding at this time of the year, It is really meant to be a seasonal thing.

That's true... It is a seasonal thing. On the other hand a friend is getting rid of his tubs to build a koi pond. He offered to give them to me as long as my parents approve the temperature here in CF doesn't get very low but I'd rather not risk it.... Any possibility of breeding cold water fish outside... Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

you can hand breed goldfish and i heard they can be easy, you will need to toy with temperature to trigger breeding and they will eat the babies, it is difficult to sex them but not impossible. i have koi, and they basically breed themselves but they are very expensive and will take a few years to get to breeding size (3 feet). i don't know how big they are but ours are in an multi thousand gallon natural pond.

At my house there were feeder goldies in very large outdoor pots. The overwintered in the house then went out the next summer. Something happened when we had a party and my dad was cooking with charcoal right near one of the pots. I later found them all gasping at the top of the pot. The survivors came back in the house and have gotten quite large for fish that were raised as feeders in poor conditions. I'd say 3 of them are easily 10 inches. There are just 2 in each tank and it happened that the two in one of the tanks have really bonded and spawn all the time. They're so cute because they rest under a silk plant together at night. I have never seen fry so I think that they eat the eggs or the common pleco eats the eggs (I know bad husbandry and I can't do anything about it). So my point is that I really enjoy watching them but I think you'd have to have a large area with several specimens and really observe to see which fish bond. Then if it were me I'd move the others unless you do happen to have a large pond which I know that's not the case here from previous posts. Koi are very beautiful and yes very expensive especially if you buy adults that have been sexed. I also want to say the major koi breeders strip eggs and artificially fertilize them. I could be confused with another fish but I thought I read that about the super expensive varieties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have mentioned this before somewhere but what about goodieds? They seem more hard to come by than endlers. I know a guy local to me who has some rare ones. They're small so you could bring them I'm for the winter. Just not a fish you see very often. If you did decide you wanted to try some let me know via pm and I can talk to the guy and see if he'd ship you some along with some hardy plants as his tanks are just packed with plants.

Never heard of goodieds sound intresting will look them up and on you if I like what I see!

Never heard of goodieds sound intresting will look them up and on you if I like what I see!

They're from Mexico I believe. They are livebearers and when the fry are born the are attached to the mother via a placenta. I never knew that and when I got to see the collection this person had I was just amazed. They have their own room in his finished basement and the rest of the fish are in another room. Very sizable setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are very cool, i heard a lecture from a guy who collected from the wild, i would go with endlers, easyer to come by and sell. but hey maybe your lfs would want some goodieds

they are very cool, i heard a lecture from a guy who collected from the wild, i would go with endlers, easyer to come by and sell. but hey maybe your lfs would want some goodieds

That's very probable. OP needs to talk to some people and find out what they are interested in. It's getting later in the year now but maybe goodieds could be am interesting little project for another time. I'd like to try them actually some day. I want to say some of the rare ones shown to me are either extinct in the wild or the collection points aren't accessible anymore for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom