The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand this, my foxtail keeps turning brown day by day. It's almost all dead now. I don't know why! I have this one plant too, I honestly don't know what it is but the whole bottom leaves are pretty much dead just hanging there. I gotta rip that one out and get te dead leaves out and move it to the back, I'm starting to not like the way I planted these plants....lol. Saturday they're going to get shuffled around :D

Foxtail is a pain in the rear end. IME there's no telling what's gotten it into a snit.

You don't have to convert 4 PPM per day of ammonia to cycle your tank. If this were my tank, I'd let it roll, do a big pwc when ammo and trites hit 0, and start with a small bioload. JMHO.

Foxtail is a pain in the rear end. IME there's no telling what's gotten it into a snit.

You don't have to convert 4 PPM per day of ammonia to cycle your tank. If this were my tank, I'd let it roll, do a big pwc when ammo and trites hit 0, and start with a small bioload. JMHO.

So when ammonia is zero, I shouldn't add more? Ammonia has been going down to zero for about five days now. Won't this starve the bacteria?

Your bacteria will be fine I dosed my tank let it cycle to 0ppm then redosed. It and let it fall to 0ppm again then added some hardy livestock. You will notice the second time you dose it will fall quite a bit faster

So, I should lay off the ammonia(until the cycle is over) and let the nitrites drop on their own?

I would. Imo but then after the amonia and nitrite do a big water change. I did 50% and give it until everything is 0ppm and then go ahead and add 1 hardy fish or so give it 2 weeks or so and then add another one and keep going like that. It gives the bacteria time to catch up with the amonia your fish are producing. Just remember to be patient. That's the best advice you can get is to be patient. It will happen but not overnight.

I would. Imo but then after the amonia and nitrite do a big water change. I did 50% and give it until everything is 0ppm and then go ahead and add 1 hardy fish or so give it 2 weeks or so and then add another one and keep going like that. It gives the bacteria time to catch up with the amonia your fish are producing. Just remember to be patient. That's the best advice you can get is to be patient. It will happen but not overnight.

So I shouldn't add a school of about 10 tetras once everything is zero if I just leave the ammonia? I though the bacteria colony would be large after cycling with 4 PPM. Sorry for all my questions, I just wanna make sure I do this right :D

I'm going to have to leave that one to someone more familiar with fresh water. I know you can support more fish because of the way oxygen disolves in freshwater but I'm not sure as to how you need to add them. I would always tend to error on the side of caution

George9 said:
So I shouldn't add a school of about 10 tetras once everything is zero if I just leave the ammonia? I though the bacteria colony would be large after cycling with 4 PPM. Sorry for all my questions, I just wanna make sure I do this right :D

Technically, yes you could.

Realisticly, why? If they all die for some weird reason, what a bummer! Just add 5 in the first week and see how it goes IMO

Gboy66 said:
Technically, yes you could.

Realisticly, why? If they all die for some weird reason, what a bummer! Just add 5 in the first week and see how it goes IMO

I'm not going to do that for all the schools, just the kerris which I have to order online, so I don't have to pay $10 shipping each time lol. I will DEFFFFIIINNATELY not do that with the rummynoses, everyone seems to have so many problems with them, so 5 at a time with them lol

George9 said:
I'm not going to do that for all the schools, just the kerris which I have to order online, so I don't have to pay $10 shipping each time lol.

Well then maybe add a different type of fish first, like the corys

Gboy66 said:
Well then maybe add a different type of fish first, like the corys

Yeah, that's probably what will happen. They're the easiest to find. I had a list written down but I think I lost it. I had it all down to a science lol

From now on, I will only dose about 2 ppm of ammonia daily to get a faster conversion and hopefully the nitrites will start to go down. Thanks SM

George9 said:
From now on, I will only dose about 2 ppm of ammonia daily to get a faster conversion and hopefully the nitrites will start to go down. Thanks SM

I'm in the same boat! Illiteracy did 2 90% pwc and an addition 50% pwc to get my nitrite and nitrate at readable leves. My ammonia has only been dosed to 2ppm for like 3 days now trying to get it to stabilize and zero out! I get rid of 2ppm in about 8-12 hours. Just waiting on my nitrites to catch up lol. Good luck!!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I'm in the same boat! Illiteracy did 2 90% pwc and an addition 50% pwc to get my nitrite and nitrate at readable leves. My ammonia has only been dosed to 2ppm for like 3 days now trying to get it to stabilize and zero out! I get rid of 2ppm in about 8-12 hours. Just waiting on my nitrites to catch up lol. Good luck!!

Haha we have so much in common!! Lol

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Let's home we both wake up tomorrow and we have pretty blues and yellows!

I'm crossing my fingers! Today is the one month mark in my cycle, how long has yours been?

So just out of curiousity why do you guys dose so many times? Are building the bacteria? And I would assume that as long as you are dosing your trates will be high

Back
Top Bottom