TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arthur - That plant looks like subwassertang
Theresa - Does the moss float? Will you be tying down to something?
I don't the nematodes will present a problem. I've had various populations of "guests" rise and fall over time in my shrimp tank. Will take nematodes over planaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

About the chola wood....it brings your ph down correct? My ph was 7.6 yesterday. Would 2 cholas in my 55 bring it down too much. I really just like the look of it. I don't want to drop my ph a lot.

About the chola wood....it brings your ph down correct? My ph was 7.6 yesterday. Would 2 cholas in my 55 bring it down too much. I really just like the look of it. I don't want to drop my ph a lot.

Your thinking of mopani and Malaysian dw. Chola shouldn't move the ph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@fresh, sußwassertang is the same as pellia right?

It is confusing. Here is a link to a discussion that hopefully will clear up the matter.
Except:

Pellia (Pelia), Mini Pellia, and Subwassertang
Pellia and Mini-Pellia (Also spelled Pelia) are both Liverworts. Both can be grown in emersed in moist/humid environments. Both can be used in low light tanks, and require no special care. Generally you will need to tie them to an object in your tank to keep it from floating around the tank. Mini Pellia is much smaller, and grows at a very slow rate. Under low light, in branches out and is not very dense, however under high light it tends to grow as a dense mat. Due to the slow rate of growth, it is normal for mini pellia to become infested with algae.

Neither require CO2 or supplements.

Common Name: Pellia
Scientific Name: Monosolenium tenerum
Plant Profile: http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla...m-tenerum.aspx

Common Name: Mini Pellia or Coral Moss
Scientific Name: Riccardia chamedryfolia
Plant Profile: http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla....aspx?pid=003D

Süsswassertang looks a lot like Pellia, and is often sold as "Round Pellia" due to its resemblance to a rounder version of Pellia. Care is very similar, as it does well in low-light, and needs to be tied down to keep it in place. However, it isn't actually a Liverwort and shouldn't be called Pellia. It is the gametophyte form of a species of Lomariopsis, possibly Lomariopsis lineata, making it a fern, not a liverwort/pellia.

Common Name: Süsswassertang or Subwassertang
Scientific Name: Lomariopsis sp (Sometimes identified as Lomariopsis lineata)
Plant Profile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Süsswassertang

I thank you for the determination. Yes, I found it under Pellia and it looks exactly. But it is on the ground. Does not float.

Cholla that I have doesn't even leach tannins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Arthur - That plant looks like subwassertang
Theresa - Does the moss float? Will you be tying down to something?
I don't the nematodes will present a problem. I've had various populations of "guests" rise and fall over time in my shrimp tank. Will take nematodes over planaria.

It definitely floats. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, have a bunch of rearranging things going on in my mind, really need to sit down and write everything out.

Glad to hear the nematodes won't be an issue. After the scuds took over the previous setup I got panicky when I saw them.

I've never had cholla mess with pH. It's actually a cactus, so does that make it a plant?

It is confusing. Here is a link to a discussion that hopefully will clear up the matter.
Except:

Pellia (Pelia), Mini Pellia, and Subwassertang
Pellia and Mini-Pellia (Also spelled Pelia) are both Liverworts. Both can be grown in emersed in moist/humid environments. Both can be used in low light tanks, and require no special care. Generally you will need to tie them to an object in your tank to keep it from floating around the tank. Mini Pellia is much smaller, and grows at a very slow rate. Under low light, in branches out and is not very dense, however under high light it tends to grow as a dense mat. Due to the slow rate of growth, it is normal for mini pellia to become infested with algae.

Neither require CO2 or supplements.

Common Name: Pellia
Scientific Name: Monosolenium tenerum
Plant Profile: -

Common Name: Mini Pellia or Coral Moss
Scientific Name: Riccardia chamedryfolia
Plant Profile: -

Süsswassertang looks a lot like Pellia, and is often sold as "Round Pellia" due to its resemblance to a rounder version of Pellia. Care is very similar, as it does well in low-light, and needs to be tied down to keep it in place. However, it isn't actually a Liverwort and shouldn't be called Pellia. It is the gametophyte form of a species of Lomariopsis, possibly Lomariopsis lineata, making it a fern, not a liverwort/pellia.

Common Name: Süsswassertang or Subwassertang
Scientific Name: Lomariopsis sp (Sometimes identified as Lomariopsis lineata)
Plant Profile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Süsswassertang

Thanks so much for the links! One thing I've consistently read is that subwasstertang doesn't do well with Excel, otherwise it seems to be easy to care for. I just really like the looks of it once it settles in.

Cholla that I have doesn't even leach tannins.
I soak mine for a few days and have only noticed very slight coloring of the water.

Awesome! I'm going to get me some chola then. Hey what happens when you decide to change your fish out. Get another tank???? Bahahaha. Kind of sweating the cichlids right now.

Thanks a ton for that article, was extremely helpful! Mine is very soft, so I'm assuming it's subwasssertang. I actually use excel in that tank, have not had any issues....

Awesome! I'm going to get me some chola then. Hey what happens when you decide to change your fish out. Get another tank???? Bahahaha. Kind of sweating the cichlids right now.

Years ago I bred a few types of shellies, also had a big tank with an oscar and a sev. Only cichlid I currently have is the single ram.

I'm getting ready to do another order with Rachel...nothing finalized except some of her CRS and double red tail Endlers.

Ooh double tail? Are they on her site?
Omg when I quickly glanced at the notification of your response I thought it said 'pooh double tail' :lol:

This was the first time I've seen them in her stocklist. When we started chatting about this order she said she needed to get some pics of them then she hurt her arm and now just got back from a trip. I'm excited though, her first are always such good quality.

Omg when I quickly glanced at the notification of your response I thought it said 'pooh double tail' [emoji38]

This was the first time I've seen them in her stocklist. When we started chatting about this order she said she needed to get some pics of them then she hurt her arm and now just got back from a trip. I'm excited though, her first are always such good quality.
It did say that! I edited because I'm in my phone and stupid autocorrect. Well if Rachel doesn't get pick up I'll be relying on you when. You get them!

Brenna

I can send you a 4x4 SS mesh square for the floating moss. Thread some fishing line through and secure it to the mesh. Then bury any exposed mesh with a fine layer of substrate. This has worked for a couple types of moss in my shrimp tank (carpet in progress).

Omg when I quickly glanced at the notification of your response I thought it said 'pooh double tail' :lol:

My darn iPhone does the same dang thing. Always changing oooh to pooh

It did say that! I edited because I'm in my phone and stupid autocorrect. Well if Rachel doesn't get pick up I'll be relying on you when. You get them!

Will definitely post pics. After all these years I finally just bought a specimen container, got tired of walking Endlers fry singly in a net thru two rooms to the fry tank....

I can send you a 4x4 SS mesh square for the floating moss. Thread some fishing line through and secure it to the mesh. Then bury any exposed mesh with a fine layer of substrate. This has worked for a couple types of moss in my shrimp tank (carpet in progress).

Thanks. I may actually have some...there are 2 or 3 boxes of misc aquarium 'stuff' that need to be sorted :hide:

My darn iPhone does the same dang thing. Always changing oooh to pooh

Auto correct has strong opinions :rolleyes:

The cholla arrived today, I'm so excited! Most of the pieces are larger than what I've had previously, as least in diameter. Will be interesting to see if that affects how long it takes them to fully soak. Now I have to decide which I actually want to put in the Spec.

img_3333687_0_55d5c923ad3c091f4eb9869a662d8ed3.jpg

The cholla arrived today, I'm so excited! Most of the pieces are larger than what I've had previously, as least in diameter. Will be interesting to see if that affects how long it takes them to fully soak. Now I have to decide which I actually want to put in the Spec.

img_3333691_0_55d5c923ad3c091f4eb9869a662d8ed3.jpg
Those are nice.

Brenna

A bit pricier than the usual 3 or 6" straight pieces. I've never actually had cholla deteriorate but I'm guessing from the density of these they would last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom