TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cholla arrived today, I'm so excited! Most of the pieces are larger than what I've had previously, as least in diameter. Will be interesting to see if that affects how long it takes them to fully soak. Now I have to decide which I actually want to put in the Spec.

img_3333797_0_55d5c923ad3c091f4eb9869a662d8ed3.jpg

Those are very nice. I likey

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another batch of Endlers fry...as I was netting them I started thinking about the jungle tank: at this point there's definitely more plants in the tank than water. This is a partial view from above after I removed a large bowl full of duckweed:

img_3334150_0_dd753a5ac2b1a18f4920ebebf14da389.jpg

The tank was originally purchased just to store extra plants; I really should have made a list of what got thrown in there. Found this in the floating mess, had completely forgotten about it:

img_3334150_1_c7ba2b8157311e750d2e351841aa0ac1.jpg

Almost filled a 2.5g with baby tears that I hope to sell. How do folks come up with prices for non-stem plants?

I'm interested in this plant tank you have! Any fish/inverts in there?

Ferts/co2?

Thanks!

It's a 10g with basic black sand, no filter or heater. It gets indirect sunlight then I run one of those clamp on shop lights for ~4 hours in the evening. There are vals, dwarf sag, baby tears, flame moss, ludwigia, duckweed. I dose Excel, Leaf Zone, and Flourish 2-3 times a week. Stock is least killifish, 2 otos, RCS, and a few nerite snails. This is the most recent full tank shot I have:

img_3334165_0_d8363b8d1b3696fffb2c09887d5d70d2.jpg

Nice! What about water changes?

I think I may set something like this up, you have a great looking set up!

Wait..... Isn't leaf zone and flourish the sane thing?

Leaf Zone is an API product and Flourish (Flourish Comprehensive) is from Seachem. I believe the former supplies primarily macros and the latter micros/trace ferts.
I might have that the macro/micro thingy reversed.?

Interesting! I always thought they were pretty much the same!

I looked it up and on Seachems website, they listed all the ingredients, and that's the micronutrients, then you can add all the other seachem products (potassium, nitrogen, etc) as needed, without overdoing on the ones you don't need.

The leaf zone just says it contains iron and potassium , so I'm assuming just an all rounder basic ferts....

Interesting! I always thought they were pretty much the same!

I looked it up and on Seachems website, they listed all the ingredients, and that's the micronutrients, then you can add all the other seachem products (potassium, nitrogen, etc) as needed, without overdoing on the ones you don't need.

The leaf zone just says it contains iron and potassium , so I'm assuming just an all rounder basic ferts....

Tbh, I never really looked closely at the ingredients. Just dosed them in unison and had good results for over a year. Then I switched over the GLA's PPS-Pro ferts and the $30 kit I bought two years ago still has quite a bit left in it.
Back to our program already in progress...

A while ago I had a successful Walstad-based 2.5g so when I got this tank I decided to try something similar minus the dirt. I honestly can't remember the last time I did a water change in that tank :hide:

The ferts were recommended by members here. I've had to do a few adjustments on amounts and frequency by in general they've worked out well in all my tanks.

It looks like I'm getting a new Spec 3. I'm so tired of all the issues with the Evolve so that will be replaced. The Spec will be another shrimp only tank, haven't decided what type yet. Really just considering a thin black sand substrate, cholla, leaf litter, and a bunch of baby tears from the jungle tank.

Thanks!

So when you say the last time you did a water change was? 1 month? 2?

Do you feed the inhabitants, or do they take care of themselves?

Thanks!

So when you say the last time you did a water change was? 1 month? 2?

Do you feed the inhabitants, or do they take care of themselves?

Has to be at least 3 or 4 months; every other week or so I top off for evaporation but even that's a rather small amount.

I feed the tank every 2-3 days. Could probably go even less often but there are a lot of fry, just want to make sure they're getting enough since the adults are pigs :rolleyes:

Finalized my order with Rachel, planning to ship on Monday for arrival here Tuesday:

2x otos
6x amano shrimp
3x assassin snails
4x pygmy cories
3x male & 2x female double red tail Endlers
6x crystal red shrimp (juvies)

Spec 3 should be here this weekend :dance:

Maybe I'll make a thread....

Sounds nice! Let us know how it works out! So who is your Favorite online retailer for live fish? You seem to have experience with that!

I was wondering if you'd go with Rachel or Portland XD They're the only two I've found who have Pygmy cories!

I was wondering if you'd go with Rachel or Portland XD They're the only two I've found who have Pygmy cories!

I went with her for a few reasons. I wanted the shrimp & snails but not necessarily the minimum number purchase requirement Wet Spot has. I've had great luck with the otos I bought from her in the past. And I'm really interested in seeing what her CRS and Endlers look like!

I put some salvinia minima up for sale on some local FB groups this evening. It's taken over the fry tank and I really need to get in there and be able to pull some fish :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom