TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just out of curiosity how long ago did you order? There were no problems when I bought a listing but communication has been awful for a custom order. Really nice quality pieces though.

I ordered it all on 12/30/15

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Heard back from the Etsy seller about the cholla. Apparently he uses them in his own tank; they're cleaned in fresh water, nothing else. I have six listings favorited so I just have to narrow it down to two or three.

The spouse bought me a Stingray for Christmas so I got that out last night. Was hoping to use it on the 16g but I didn't like the coloring it gave the tank. Looks great on the Endlers tank though, really brings out the colors of the fish.

I ended up buying this light for the Evolve. Cord is very long, has options for mounting, and is very bright; no on/off switch though. In retrospect I wish I had gotten the 50/50 blue/white but no regrets. The plants have definitely perked up since I added it and no more melt on the dwarf water lettuce.

Doodle's new fishy collar arrived today:

img_3330481_0_d07b739ea804f974b90a5a7a66a9a73f.png

How big are the sort of holes in cholla wood? I can't really tell from pictures but it seems like just the sort of thing a botia would love to wedge itself in.

Some of mine have pretty large holes:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452395565.319110.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452395589.196221.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452395617.677193.jpg

I ordered it all on 12/30/15

I first contacted them on 12/15 so I guess it was because I wanted a custom listing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the store though.

Some of mine have pretty large holes:

Those are really nice, I'd think smaller plecos would even like them.

That looks perfect for loaches! I'll have to get some.

Absolutely! I used to have a few pieces in with the kuhlis and they loved them, was great seeing little faces peeking out!

I need cholla with bigger holes too.

Love Doodle's collar!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kind of have a dog collar addiction thing... :hide:

Great communication with the Etsy cholla seller. They live in NM, collect the pieces in the desert and then clean with fresh water only. Placed my order this morning so I hope they'll be here by the end of the week.

I kind of have a dog collar addiction thing... :hide:

Great communication with the Etsy cholla seller. They live in NM, collect the pieces in the desert and then clean with fresh water only. Placed my order this morning so I hope they'll be here by the end of the week.
Let me know how this goes.

A previous hound/rott mix I had (RIP) had a thing for new collars.sometimes she would wear 2 because she was so happy I got her a new collar. Lol

Brenna

Let me know how this goes.

A previous hound/rott mix I had (RIP) had a thing for new collars.sometimes she would wear 2 because she was so happy I got her a new collar. Lol

Will do!

New air pump arrived today, always makes me wonder how USPS feels about delivering Prime packages on Sundays... Anyhow, it's a larger version of a pump I already had, has adjustable output, and most importantly it's quiet!!! This one is going on the fry tank and the smaller will be for a new little project I'm working on :hide:

I find Both of those comments MIDLY amusing!:lol:

Amusing is good (y)

Need some help with an algae issue in the Endlers tank. It's a 10g, what I would consider heavily planted: vals, dwarf sag, duckweed. Gets a bit of indirect sunlight otherwise I'm running a Stingray 6 to 7 hours. Ferts are Leaf Zone, Flourish, and Excel every 3 days. This started in the past few weeks: what looks like little fluffs of cotton, dark colored (black? blue?), mostly on the ends of leaves but I also noticed some on the plastic portion of my filter intake guard. What am I dealing with, what causes it? I can trim leaves to get rid of it but how do I prevent it from returning?

Edit: don't know if it matters for treatment but it's stocked with Endlers, kuhlis, otos, Amano shrimp

Last edited:
Honestly in my experience I've only ever had issues with algae(all kinds) as soon as I overdosed on liquid fertilizers! Definitely only do that once a week, or leave it out completely! Root tabs are way better and they'll "leach" out some nutrients into the water column as well.

JMO:)

Appears to be black beard algae. A fellow from GWAPA spoke at the November PVAS meeting and mentioned excessive dissolved organic waste as the culprit for BBA. I've seen this first hand when I get lazy with water changes.
Spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide, Excel, or glut for the short term and increased water changes for the long term should take care of it.

Honestly in my experience I've only ever had issues with algae(all kinds) as soon as I overdosed on liquid fertilizers! Definitely only do that once a week, or leave it out completely! Root tabs are way better and they'll "leach" out some nutrients into the water column as well.

JMO:)

That makes sense but it's just odd because this tank is next to another 10g, similar setup, no algae issues. Will probably cut back on the ferts, even if it's just this tank.

Appears to be black beard algae. A fellow from GWAPA spoke at the November PVAS meeting and mentioned excessive dissolved organic waste as the culprit for BBA. I've seen this first hand when I get lazy with water changes.
Spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide, Excel, or glut for the short term and increased water changes for the long term should take care of it.

I Googled and that's what it looks like. Will pull out the filter intake and clean that tonight then start spot treatments tomorrow.

Sad to say my assassin snail died, no idea why :(

Subwassertang from Foster53 arrived....very very large portion and great color. It's temporarily in an otherwise empty 2.5g until the new cholla arrives.

He also sent along some bonus mystery moss, anyone know what this is?

img_3331963_0_32c739c00ce611c21f039e5517fc7179.jpg

I think I also have this Moss. When googling I found no name.
My small crabs feel at ease in it.

Attachments

• DSC_0942.jpg
    DSC_0942.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0939.jpg
    DSC_0939.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom