Time to euthanize? (long post)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm usually over in the SW forums, but I've got a problem with my small FW tank and I could use some honest advice. I've got a 10-gallon tank (specs below) and I've got a sick neon tetra. Here's the story: about 2 months ago I first lost a dwarf flame gourami (stopped eating, died three days later) and a few days later 2 of the tetras got white spots. I thought it was ich so I treated with rid-ich--no change. One fish had one spot on his tail; he's still got that spot, but it hasn't spread and doesn't seem to bother him. The other fish had several raised spots on his sides and mostly tail. They aren't fuzzy and they don't change; they are also larger than I would expect from ich. Anyway, after the rid ich, I tried melafix but 4 days in, the spottier one got worse so I switched to maracyn (thinking it was a fungus). No change. I did 10 days with melafix after--no change. That was all I knew how to do, so I've just been watching for the last couple of weeks. He's gradually getting worse; his red is almost gone now, his fins are shredding and worst, there are white things sticking out at a couple of spots. They don't seem to be parasites--it almost looks like a little piece of white confetti. His "clear" parts are sort of blotchy, as well. He eats and has bursts of energy, but mostly hangs out alone.

At first I had ruled out neon tetra disease as at that time he had his color and was still schooling (and he doesn't look quite like the pictures). But as time goes on and nothing helps, I fear that's what it is. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is it time to end it for the poor guy? I've never done that before and if that's the verdict if someone could point me to instructions I'd be very appreciative. Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I've done all I can before giving up.

Tank specs: 10 gallons, Penguin 125; 3 "day-glo" tetras, 3 neon tetras, 2 dwarf otos, one apple snail; temp 76; ammonia, nitrite 0; nitrates under 20; pH 7.4 (high, I know, but attempts to buffer resulted in big swings so I gave up). I change about 3 gallons a week. The tank has been running for over 2 years; it was converted from a goldfish tank to tropicals in June (kept all filter media, etc).

Thank you for any help.

What about Nodular Disease?? These parasites are similar to those causing neon tetra disease. I"m not too familiar with the disease, but I do have an article that a good friend put together for me. I hope it helps.

Obvious Symptoms:

Small to large smooth yellowish white cysts on skin, fins, gills, in muscle or among internal organs. Cysts may vary from a few millimetres up to a centimeter (O.4in) or so in size. They are usually spherical or oval, although some are elongated or irregular in shape. Each cyst contains many thousands of tiny parasitic spores. These spores are so small that it may take at least 15,000 to cover the head of a pin.

While low level internal infestations probably occur unnoticed by the aquarist, infestations of the skin and fins are much more obvious. The spores are thought to pass from fish to fish, the life cycles of most of these parasites are poorly understood. Very heavy infestations, especially on the gills or on small fish, may be debilitatin, although low level infestations do not seem to do much harm. Each nodular disease may be specific to one or a small number of fish species and cross infections are unusual.

Treatment and control:

There is no reliable treatment for this type of disease. Maintain infected fish in isolation from other fish: if their condition deteriorates, destroy them painlessly. Disinfect tanks and all associated equipment which have contained infected stock .

If you decided to euthanize, I personally perfer the freezing method. Painless and very quick on the fish. I"m sorry to hear about your tetra.

I agree. I am very attached to my fish, no matter how much they cost. I had some rasboras, that kept getting sick, over and over. I finally decided to euthanize. I figured that medicating and medicating again was just too stressful. I used the freezer. It was very sad.

Yeah, I brought the little guys into my house and owe them the best care, IMO. FawnN, that Nodular Disease sounds most like it--thanks for the tip. It looks like I'm headed for the freezer . . .I can't bring myself to cut heads off, even though it's as humane as anything.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

blorkiemom said:
Yeah, I brought the little guys into my house and owe them the best care, IMO.
I agree too...once we bring a pet home, we are responsible for it in good times and bad, and in sickness and health!

I'm sorry about the tetra, blorkiemom :cry: I would agree with the clove oil method also.

I can't tell you if/when to dispose of this fish. Personally, I always dispose of a single inexpensive sick fish, rather than medicate and risk the entire population.

I place the fish in a zip lock bag of aquarium water and put the bag in my freezer. As the temperature drops, the fish falls asleep.

MarkLehr said:
I can't tell you if/when to dispose of this fish. Personally, I always dispose of a single inexpensive sick fish, rather than medicate and risk the entire population.

I place the fish in a zip lock bag of aquarium water and put the bag in my freezer. As the temperature drops, the fish falls asleep.

You know you can QT them right? This way they won't affect the entire pop. JMO

Well, I did it. The little guy's in the freezer now. It took me a couple of days to find the clove oil, but it worked like everyone said--just 2-3 seconds of struggling then he passed out on the bottom of the container. I know it's just a little fish, and a cheap one at that, but it was really hard . . . I'm pretty much an idiot but I kept apologizing to him and telling him I hope it's the right thing. :( Now I'm talking to my fish. Anyway, my hands smell like clove oil so everyone's going to know I'm a fish killer! Or think I've reverted back to my misspent youth smoking cloves. Thanks, everyone, for the help.

I do the same thing blorkiemom. :cry: Regardless of how big or small my fish is or how long I"ve had them, I always feel guilty doing something like. Thank goodness I've only experienced it once.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully this will be your first and last. :D

Care for the least of creatures is the greatest expression of our humanity. And there is nothing wrong with talking to your fish. If they talk back, then you can worry.

Back
Top Bottom