tiny microscopic white worm things......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I noticed very tiny white worm things on the glass of my mom's tetra tank. With my bad eyes I had to really focus on seeing them, and only saw it because I was doing a fish headcount (a tetra died the other day). Then I realized that there's so many in the tank that they are free-floating in the water too. I did a huge water change and changed the filter media. I plan on doing a PWC tomorrow and each day to help clear the problem. there's a gourami in there, and if he dies, my mom will have a fit.

I seem to remember having something like this happen a long time ago, but dont remember what it was or what I did to cure the problem. all the other fish seem fine.

Any ideas?

Could be planaria, or hydra. Usually caused by overfeeding and not cleaning the substrate enough. Just do some extra water changes, a deeep substrate vac and cut down on feeding. Did you change all the media out? It's usually not a good idea as you just got rid of all the good bacteria that the tank needs to keep it cycled. Keep an eye on parameters (ammonia, etc) as removing the media may have caused some spikes. Rinsing it out in old tank water to get rid of any gunk is a better course of action than replacing it entirely.

Its getting under better control with the water changes. The filter change was needed (terribly overdue actually). Overfeeding could be true, but I doubt it as everything is bring eaten during feeding. This is mom's tank and she is known for too much dosing. The vac cleaning was VERY needed tho

I was just more curious to know what they are, I just couldn't believe how they were floating in the water.

Back
Top Bottom