TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just worried by the rate. Its been 3 weeks and I'm only getting ammonia production. Being only a 20 gallon system im concerned about this taking so long.

I think it can take up to 14 days for it to start turning into nitrites

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I'm not sure. I'm glad I have the messy hybrid tank with tons of media running on it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Give it time. Within 2-4 months the Sev will be bigger than the FM. Should hit around 6" in 6-8 months then slow down

Jesse

Things have cooled down a bit. The firemouth has established that he is the boss for now. I'm hoping the firemouth doesn't take that route with the convict, she has lived the majority of her life in an mbuna tank and has always held her own. I need to get a group of schooling fish asap. The FM was shy so I hoped adding the sev would help, looks like I've got 2 shy fish now. I'm thinking a small shoal will help them feel more comfortable.

I'll try to get some better shots of these guys.

I like lemon tetras but they're impossible to find in some places, and overly abundant in others. Tiger barbs can work as well. I made a mistake of putting 11 tigers with my JD. He slowly ate them 1 by 1 at lights out when the barbs went head down sleep mode lol. They were too quick and agile for him to catch otherwise

Jesse

So just to update,
The severum is eating and doing well. Still some occasional aggression out of the Firemouth but not to the extent of even damaging fins. This is far different from my African tanks where even posturing can result in split fins. I've enjoyed these guys quite a bit. Hopefully within two weeks I can get some dithers in but given the stores near me I must qt these types of fish. Still haven't decided on a type.

Buenos Aires tetras would be ideal but appear hard to source locally. Same with lemons.
I'm looking at 100% rummy nose or a split group of 6 black skirts and 6 rummy or bleeding heart tetras. I'm really just looking for some fish that won't soon be edible. A group of 6-8 cardinals is calling my name though.

Just a random update, make of it what you will....

I would like to see some video sounds like an interesting community.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How is the afy tank? The juvies are startin to show some signs of sex on the red shoulder blues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How is the afy tank? The juvies are startin to show some signs of sex on the red shoulder blues.

Ooh plz tempt me on some females!! The Africans are doing great with room for 2-3 female peacocks lol.
In an all seriousness African 60 gal update all is great. The balance in the tank is phenomenal. I would encourage all AC keepers to include a minimum 4 yellow tail acei for the way they mix it up by invading literally any and all pre established territory. I swear they alone have made the tank less territorial by having no boundaries. Great to see everyone meshing well, I feel a peaceful but pretty tank is the holy grail of aggressive Malawi tanks. I've found a nice combo through trial and error. A combo I can recommend to all AC keepers entering the hobby.

Oh ill tempt ya. I just wanna give em a lil longer to ensure theyre female. It seems a few per batch color up late. But i assume its just cause the alpha dominant males cause them to stay muted later.

Oh ill tempt ya. I just wanna give em a lil longer to ensure theyre female. It seems a few per batch color up late. But i assume its just cause the alpha dominant males cause them to stay muted later.

Cool deal and spot on diagnosis on the late bloomers, some speculate its even a hormone the dominant fish release. Needs some AA testers working on this. Seems prevalent in discus too cough cough.....

No tests needed, i know discus do, lol. Ahem....

Back
Top Bottom