Too Much Filtration???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albertan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After being out of the hobby for 15+ years, I've decided to get back into keeping aquaria. After getting over the sticker shock of fish nowadays, I purchased a complete kit including a 58 gallon tank. The kit came with a Fluval 404 rated for I believe a max 100 gallon tank. I also purchased a UGF with two powerheads rated at 30 gallons each. I haven't decided whether to go back to keeping SA cichlids or to have a nice community tank (fortunately the shop sold the shovelnose cat they had yesterday because I was tempted :p ). Anyways, I'm wondering if all the filtration is a good thing or is there going to be too much current in the tank with all the filtration. I would like to get back to keeping some of the hardier plants as well which is why I went with the UGF. Any comments would be appreciated as the tank is only in the mock up stage at the moment and no gravel has been added yet. Thanks.

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh... UGF! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL, seriously though, the UGF are BAD. Basically they suck all the gunk into the gravel and cause a lot of issues with water quality. Aslo, and UGF with a power filter, well they are really just working against each other becuase a power filter pulls the water up and out and an UGF pulls all the gunk down into the gravel, making it impossible for the power filter to get any gunk out. My advice is, get rid of the UGF, keep the Fluval and then maybe if you want more filtration, buy a canister filter or another power filter.

right now i just have an Aquaclear HOB filter and its working just fine on my 55 gallon, it is for up to a 70 gallon aquarium and filters 300 gph.

Welcome to AA!

If I were you, I would return the UGF. There have been better advances in filtration that will take the place of the UGF nicely. You may want to run a search of other posts that will give you a rundown of why a UGF is probably not a good idea, especially for a planted tank. Basically, it needs tremendous amount of upkeep and the roots of the plants will likely clog up the filter plate. Without the upkeep, you can build up toxic gasses under the plate in any low-flow areas.

Also, you may want to consider some other type of substrate other than gravel for your planted tank.

I agree, UGFs are not good for filtration at all. Just use the fluval 404, thats all you need.

Also, you may want to consider some other type of substrate other than gravel for your planted tank.

why? I have gravel for mine and the plants root very nice, of course it is very small gravel which is better for rooting. I guess your suggesting something for nutrients?

If your gravel is small than that should be fine. Some of the gravel sold for fish may be too big for plants. And yes, I was referring to nutrients. You may be able to mix in some other substrate with the gravel.

You can keep plants in gravel, but I would suggest using something thats nutrient rich such as Eco-Complete.

i had other substrate mixed in at one point, a nutrient substrate, and honestly it didnt' make a big difference, and ive had plants with the large gravel and what i have now. THe finer gravel is definetly better for keeping the plants rooted, but if he just wants a few plants, they will probably grow in the other gravel just fine... although you may have trouble keeping them rooted at first.

sorry this wasn't the point of your post.. lol, im not an expert, im just a newbie at plant keeping, if you really want advice on the plants, ask about it over at the planted tanks forum, they really very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the replies. It makes perfect sense that the two would be working against each other. I had good luck with the UGF years ago. But then I had a lot more time to do water changes. The Fluval 404 seems up to the task. I think I'll run it alone for awhile and then see how my needs are being met. Thanks for the tips.

And I'll check in the planted tanks forum regarding the gravel. I'm just using the Hagen ECOSystems gravel.

I'd hang on to the powerheads (at least one of them). You might want more movement of the water and a power head does a great job at that. I was like you, Albertan, when I first kept fish, UGFs were the way to go. Now, with the improvement in filtration, they are not needed at all.

I like the UGF, but only on the smaller tanks of 20gal or less. And if you want to keep cichlids, an UGF is a definite negative. theyu will dig holes, and disrupt what it is supposed to do. as for over filtration, I believe that too much is better than not enough. On my 55 gal. I have a rena XP3. and it is rated for up to a 175 gal tank, though I don' think that it should be.

Albertan said:
After being out of the hobby for 15+ years, I've decided to get back into keeping aquaria. After getting over the sticker shock of fish nowadays, I purchased a complete kit including a 58 gallon tank.

I wish I had known...I could have probably outfitted you with a better system, and at 75-90 gallons, for the same amount of money, possibly less.

(fortunately the shop sold the shovelnose cat they had yesterday because I was tempted :p ).

Fortunately....after all, who has a 1500+ gallon tank to devote to a 5' catfish? :wink:

I would like to get back to keeping some of the hardier plants

We'll be needing to get you to one of the aquarium society auctions, I think.

...as well which is why I went with the UGF.

Personally, I would lose that...UGFs don't work as well with the deeper substrates plants will want, and plants and UGFs tend to not mix well (the roots will go into and eventually clog the UGF's intake grid).

Out of curiosity, what part of the province are you in?

Back
Top Bottom