Two Plant Mysteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
So first off I have a 10gal tank with lots of plants, and recently I found a tiny sprout I couldn't identify so I planted it expecting it to be just another java fern, but now it's turned into this:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411249414.442516.jpg it started out looking like a smaller version of the front part of the plant, then grew the second part recently. The only thing I can think of that it might be is a surviving bit of the water wisteria I bought several months ago which promptly melted and died. Can anyone tell me if that's what it might be?

Second, my banana plant has gone a little crazy... I set it on top of the sand in my tank when I got it, and it just sort of hung out there until about a month ago it started growing really long roots and stems and then lost it's bananas :( it looks really healthy (to me at least), and I don't dislike how it looks, but what used to look like a cute bunch of fruit now reminds me more of some sort of super villain...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411250155.460617.jpg can anyone tell me what's going on?

That does look like wisteria. It's an interesting plant as it can take an emergent growth form of oval shaped leaves all the way to those really crazy looking leaves like the ones you see now. The thing that makes it interesting is in the hundreds of bunches I've dealt with, the growth forms can vary between the emergent and submersed, and many times a mixture of both, depending on where/how they were grown.

Banana plants lose their tubers. They are there just to store nutrients for the plant. I *think* they grow back eventually, but I don't typically keep them long enough to find out.

Thanks! :D
I'm really glad that's what it looks like, I was pretty bummed when it all died.

I heard somewhere that new bananas will form on the pads if you let them float, but is that only if you cut them off, or do you wait to cut them until bananas form?

Back
Top Bottom