Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachelives

Aquarium Advice Activist
My uncle recently gave me a 10 gallon fish tank and he included an under gravel filter with it. Now, I have been researching undergravel filters on the Internet and I am not sure if I want to use it. I want to have a planted tank, but I have never done it before. Is this a good idea with an undergravel filter? What kind of substrate should I use? Should I use a substrate good for growing plants, like sand? Or gravel? Or should I use sand with gravel? If I only use gravel, how will the plants grow? My uncle recommended an Amazon sword plant, would that grow easily without sand-like substrate? And if I don't use an undergravel filter, what kind of substrate do I use? If I have an undergravel filter, should I use a regular filter as well? Sorry for all of the questions but I am new to this and need help! Thank you :)

Nothing wrong with an ug filter, truly. It does mean you -must- use gravel. Sand will negate the effectiveness of the filter. Rhizome plants like java ferns and the like can't have their root base fully covered or they'll die, but they usually stay in gravel fine (at least mine does).

If you prefer the look of sand, get a HOB or canister filter instead. I hope there will be recommendations for brands in further replies from other members. There's also Hamberg Mattenfilter which is more popular in Europe. Swiss Tropicals is the only supplier I know if in the US. I use a corner one in my 40B, Bpophoto uses two corner units in his 20L. Not necessary to run two, he wanted symmetry. ?

So many options, I know! Do a little picture searching for which appeals to your sense of aesthetics best. In the end, at a very basic level, they all serve the same function which is to move water and host beneficial bacteria.

Would it be better to use a HOB filter and an UG filter? Or would the UG filter be enough?

Depends on what you put in there. If something you want requires high water flow, you'll want a HOB. For most small community fish, the UG alone will work well.

Would it be better to use a HOB filter and an UG filter? Or would the UG filter be enough?

Personally I use hob's on my 10g's with an additional air driven sponge filters..heard too many stories about undergravel filters for my taste...keep in mind others have done well them though...if you're wanting to be able to plant in the substrate sand or gravel will suffice along with some root tabs...
Aquaclear hobs are a good option..

sit in silence...

I have heard a lot about Aquaclear and they're relatively cheap so I might pair it with an undergravel even if I don't need to just to be safe.

I have heard a lot about Aquaclear and they're relatively cheap so I might pair it with an undergravel even if I don't need to just to be safe.

The aquaclear filter would be all you'd need for filtration...I use the sponge filters to seed new tanks with bb.

sit in silence...

When I seed my tank should I stick the filter in and add ammonia drops or should I stick one of my current mystery snails in with the filter to keep up the ammonia? I see a lot of controversy about how to start a bio filter on the Internet

Most fishless cycles can be completed in a couple weeks..my quickest took. 9 days I believe...do you have a test kit on hand?

sit in silence...

Add pure ammonia to raise the level within the tank to 2.0ppm(5 drops should do),test daily until you begin to see the ammo dissipate,nitrites should begin to show(make sure to keep ammo dosed to 2ppm) then will come the nitrite spike..when ammo & nitrites are zero'd out consistantly on a daily basis(3-4days consecutively) the tank will be cycled...nitrates will be most likely off the charts,so I recommend back to back 50% wc's to remove them...

sit in silence...

Okay, I will definitely do that! Thank you so much! Do they sell pure ammonia at Petco? I would assume they do but I have never seen it.

Okay, I will definitely do that! Thank you so much! Do they sell pure ammonia at Petco? I would assume they do but I have never seen it.

Check Ace Hardware or check janitorial supply shops...100% pure ammonia w/no additives..

sit in silence...

Alright, thank you again for answering all of my questions!

Another good practice would be to document the process using your thread,that info could prove to be helpful during your cycle & down the road as well...
Good luck!

sit in silence...

I will definitely keep this updated! I am going to start the whole process tomorrow

Have patience with the process & if I can help further feel free to ask..

sit in silence...

Lol, zooming into things didn't work out to well for me, but I got into the hobby when I was 7 and didn't have anyone to really help me out except my dad and he didn't know much either, the people here will help you out a lot, I know they've put up with all the questions I've asked...and my decisions (an example is keeping 11 goldfish with one of the most delicate freshwater fish, discus)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh my! That doesn't sound good. I have my 10 gallon up and running, no undergravel filter, I decided against it. I have an Aquaclear filter instead. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451243918.281323.jpgThe fish guy gave me this special plant substrate that apparently has beneficial bacteria in it and I stuck my used filter in it for good measure. Then I put some fish food in to start the cycle! How'd I do?

I also have a heater in it and it is running at about 76 degrees. Is that a good temp?

Back
Top Bottom