Underwater insect ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry i cant make out the eggs, whether its the picture or because im on my phone i dont know. I have amano shrimp in a 20g and hardly see them except after dark.

It's hard to get a good picture of them. It's like an oblong shaped thing of some gelatinous goo with dots around it.

I have full illumination on the tank, when I drop some food in for them, every occasion I only see 5 around the tank. There were a lot of small ones that came in my batch and I'm hoping they're just really small and hiding about. Though at those sizes the nymph larvae could have easily eaten them.

The damsel nymph could if it was much bigger than them. As for the eggs i dont know.. but will be interested. Someone else might be able to help. Just out of interest if you havent already said, whats your stock?

The damsel nymph could if it was much bigger than them. As for the eggs i dont know.. but will be interested. Someone else might be able to help. Just out of interest if you havent already said, whats your stock?

The nymph dwarfed them. I'm just hoping the ones I have are able to breed, they've been growing really well and conditions have been great minus the intruder.

Sorry, I'm relatively new here, my stock as in my current setup?

Stock meaning what living creatures do you have in the tank, just trying to narrow down the eggs. Also where did you find the eggs, on a plant? Decor? Substrate ect?

Stock meaning what living creatures do you have in the tank, just trying to narrow down the eggs. Also where did you find the eggs, on a plant? Decor? Substrate ect?

I'm not sure if they were eggs. They only appeared after the nymph developed into a damselfly. This temporary setup was in a bucket outside. I'm not sure if this is some sort of debris as a result of its transition into the next stage of its life or something else came by and laid some eggs in it.

These however were attached to a leaf, seemingly all attached to a strong of some sort.

As for my tank. There are only red cherry shrimp, pond snails and some nematodes.

Your eggs look like frog eggs. Did you say this was in the bucket you put outside? Probably tree frogs or what we call spring peepers around here. Leave them in the bucket and you should have tad poles in a few weeks. You can check the eggs in a week and if they are frog eggs, you will be able to see a tail starting to develop. They will look like commas.

Your eggs look like frog eggs. Did you say this was in the bucket you put outside? Probably tree frogs or what we call spring peepers around here. Leave them in the bucket and you should have tad poles in a few weeks. You can check the eggs in a week and if they are frog eggs, you will be able to see a tail starting to develop. They will look like commas.

These eggs are terribly small for frog eggs. There aren't too many frogs around my area either. I couldn't find any frog eggs that look like whatever is in my bucket. I've also kept frog eggs and tadpoles before that were a lot larger. I'll keep the bucket there for any further developments and report back here.

I have seen frog eggs as small as a grain of rice and as large as a marble. Lots of variations. Tiny tree frogs get about marble size or smaller and their eggs are really little. The tadpoles are tiny too. It will be interesting to see what develops. Well, as long as it isn't a mutated monster insect or something. LOL

I have seen frog eggs as small as a grain of rice and as large as a marble. Lots of variations. Tiny tree frogs get about marble size or smaller and their eggs are really little. The tadpoles are tiny too. It will be interesting to see what develops. Well, as long as it isn't a mutated monster insect or something. LOL

Oh whoa, interesting. The thing about them is they appeared when the damselfly larvae hatched out. When I prodded around the water with a stick. They seemed to be anchored onto a grass leaf floating in the water. So a bunch of differently shaped oblong things connected to a string attached to a leaf.

Oh whoa, interesting. The thing about them is they appeared when the damselfly larvae hatched out. When I prodded around the water with a stick. They seemed to be anchored onto a grass leaf floating in the water. So a bunch of differently shaped oblong things connected to a string attached to a leaf.

I'd do what you mentioned earlier and wait it out until something happens. My guess is that an insect may have laid eggs in the water. I have seen dragon flies do a "tail dip" in small bodies of water and even reflective a surfaces such as the hood of a car. I believe this is their method of dropping eggs in the water. Cannot remember what the eggs looked like but the newly hatched nymphs were small (1-2mm).

I'd do what you mentioned earlier and wait it out until something happens. My guess is that an insect may have laid eggs in the water. I have seen dragon flies do a "tail dip" in small bodies of water and even reflective a surfaces such as the hood of a car. I believe this is their method of dropping eggs in the water. Cannot remember what the eggs looked like but the newly hatched nymphs were small (1-2mm).

I am thinking it is an insect, a frog would have had a hard time getting out of the bucket and supporting itself on a grass leaf. Although more desirable to have frogs once again, I'll continue this venture and see how it goes.

Update: It seems to me that they were in fact eggs. The bottom of the bucket is dotted with little creatures of some sort. They are about 1 mm or so, long and not wide, similar to a small caterpillar in dimensions.

A spider has also made home on the top of the water, catching these small flying insects that sit on the surface.

Photo key: spider, on the right above surface small flying insects, underneath the surface, the baby insects from the eggs.

Attachments

• image-2421602136.jpg
    image-2421602136.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 66
Update: It seems to me that they were in fact eggs. The bottom of the bucket is dotted with little creatures of some sort. They are about 1 mm or so, long and not wide, similar to a small caterpillar in dimensions.

A spider has also made home on the top of the water, catching these small flying insects that sit on the surface.

Photo key: spider, on the right above surface small flying insects, underneath the surface, the baby insects from the eggs.

Lol did you put the spider in there? That kool if it just arrived.

Here is a link about aquarium pests. The Worms!

Damselfly larvae can be carnivorous but most are herbaceous. The link has lots of info on all kinds of aquarium bugs.

Here is a link about aquarium pests. The Worms! Damselfly larvae can be carnivorous but most are herbaceous. The link has lots of info on all kinds of aquarium bugs.

Thanks for the link!

I have seen a nematode or two around. Good to see they are also shrimp food!

I have counted another shrimp, 6/10 have been accounted for.

Update: the spider was looking like he overslept his stay and there weren't too many bugs around so I took him out. He looked exhausted and slowly crawled under a pot and rolled up into a ball.

I hope this is a better picture to see the bottom of the bucket completely covered in these things.

Attachments

• image-1873070257.jpg
    image-1873070257.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom