Update Stocking 45 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a while back I had a bad disease out break, devastated an assortment of many of my fish. A few hung in there for months, but in the end... they left the world. Basically every single fish I ever bought from Petco (plus those they infected) has died. Sad. I won't be going back to those stores. So here is what is left in the tank:

Congo Tetra x 5 (will be upping to 6)
Dwarf Rainbow x 5 (will not be expanding)
Neon Tetra x 7
Rummynose x 2 (will not replace the losses)
Otto x 1 (not so sure on upping)
Ammano Shrimp x 7
Cherry Red Shrimp x 50????? (at least 10-20 in view at all times)

So no loses since November so it is time to consider expanding the stock.

The tank is heavily planted. I trim a minimum of 1/month (usually 2/month). Attached as a pic. I trim out more plants that you would believe.

So what I would really like is a centerpiece that will not devastate the tank. I originally was thinking a pair of GBR or Apistos... but while I think they may like the hiding places, but I am not sure the Shrimp population will survive. Other recommendations?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Tank 3-21-17.jpg
    Tank 3-21-17.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 46
The shrimp do present a problem. I would suggest a single angel, but I'm not sure if they would eat the shrimp; I know they'll eat small fish, so many of your tetras would eventually become lunch. You could try a dwarf gourami or 2. I've kept them and RCS together successfully before. Dwarf gouramis aren't much for size, but they make up for it with color.
Truthfully, most of the fish I can think of that will be shrimp safe, and large enough for a center-piece fish prefer to be in groups. Your tank is pretty small for a group of medium sized fish.
One fish I can think of, that only needs a group of 3 to be content, is Denison's Barb, sometimes called Rose-lined Sharks. They usually grow to about 5 inches, are colorful and active, and I've not found them to be aggressive toward anything. It may leave you a bit overstocked, but in a planted tank, it may be ok.
I would probably add a few ottos though, unless you plan on removing the single fish you have left, as they prefer groups.

So far the recommendations I have received have been:

3x Denison's Barb
1x Angel
1-2x Discus
1-2x Ram
1-2x Apistogramma sp. Wangenfleck
1-2x Apistogramma borellii
1-2x Apistogramma trifasciata
1-2x Dicrossus filamentosus
1-3x Pearl Gourami
1-3x Banded Gourami
1-3x Thick-Lipped Gourami