Vallisneria nana experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of getting some Vallisneria nana and was wondering to use it as a carpeting plant as well as in the background?

How easy is the plant to grow compared to the other vals?

Also does this plant look like the eleocharis species?

I was thinking of getting some Vallisneria nana and was wondering to use it as a carpeting plant as well as in the background?

How easy is the plant to grow compared to the other vals?

Also does this plant look like the eleocharis species?

I haven't had the nana variety, but I did have spiralis at one point. I wouldn't use any Vallisneria as a carpeting plant in the foreground. Try Dwarf Sag for a similar look; it'll stay shorter, and with trimming, you can keep it short. Other options include Crypt parva and Marsilea (for easy options). I'm not sure how thin the leaf is for this type of Val, but it does have that grassy look. It should be an easy plant to care for.

Dwarf sag doesn't look similar to val nana dwarf sag has wider leaves then nana
I mean I don't mind trimming the vals every now and again to make it shorter
Yeah I like the grassy effect

Dwarf sag doesn't look similar to val nana dwarf sag has wider leaves then nana
I mean I don't mind trimming the vals every now and again to make it shorter
Yeah I like the grassy effect

You'd get a similar grassy appearance. You're correct in terms of leaf width, the leaves of these two plants is different, so it wouldn't be exactly the same. If you are aiming for thinner leaves, Micro Sword may be a good pick. Dwarf Hairgrass has even thinner leaves, but it really requires pressurized CO2 and medium/high lighting to carpet in a reasonable amount of time.

But doesn't mirco swords have the same leaves as an Amazon sword but just that's it's small in size?

Yeah I have dwarf hair grass right now I got it after researching it seeing as it was easy and didn't require much to get it to grow but it's not really going for me :/
That's why was looking for something similar to that and the closest I got was the nana

I've grown some sort of val as a carpeting plant under quite high lighting which seemed to be key for my tank. It did quite well, was as happy as the other vals and solid plant spreading gradually with runners.

But doesn't mirco swords have the same leaves as an Amazon sword but just that's it's small in size?

Yeah I have dwarf hair grass right now I got it after researching it seeing as it was easy and didn't require much to get it to grow but it's not really going for me :/
That's why was looking for something similar to that and the closest I got was the nana

I think you are thinking of Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus sp.). Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) is a shorter plant. If your tank is tall, and as Delapool mentioned, your lighting is high, you may be able to get the short, carpeted appearance from Val nana. Sometimes it's just trial and error!

I don't really have high lighting I have 2 x 30 watts t8s so I mean I don't know if I can grow micro swords? I just had a look and it seems like it needs high lighting
So not sure if I can grow it? :/

It's sort of tall maybe about 50-55cm to the substrate

Micro sword "Lilaeopsis brasiliensis" needs high light but micro sword narrow leaf "Lilaeopsis mauritiana" needs medium light

I feel like even that wouldn't able to grow with my lighting, I'm not sure. There are quite a few people that have struggled growing this plant

I feel like even that wouldn't able to grow with my lighting, I'm not sure. There are quite a few people that have struggled growing this plant

Crypt parva would be your best bet for a low light grassy type carpet. It spreads by runners and can carpet nicely. The leaf shape is abit round at the end so won't give the full grassy look but it's very close [emoji106]

Crypt parva would be your best bet for a low light grassy type carpet. It spreads by runners and can carpet nicely. The leaf shape is abit round at the end so won't give the full grassy look but it's very close [emoji106]

+1

Although I will say, this plant takes forever to carpet in low lighting, even with pressurized CO2 and good flow. You'd need a lot of the parva. It's a nice plant for those who are patient. I get a new leaf every 2-4 weeks. Dwarf Sag, a plant that can get tall if left to its own devices, and as I mentioned before, would be another great option--just trim leaves often, or as needed. I see no reason why you couldn't try Micro Sword too. The high light requirement really isn't a rule. Low light just slows growth. As long as you provide the needed nutrients and carbon dioxide, it should be fine. Look into Lilaeopsis mauritiana. I've even grown Dwarf Hairgrass in low light--I'll note that I have pressurized CO2. Many people use a ton of light just to have an algae farm.

Edit: There is also True Dwarf Sag, which stays shorter than Dwarf Sag. It's a little bit harder to find though.

yeah i had a read online and it seems like it takes forever to get going :/ i dont know if im that patience. Only thing is i dont mind getting both the Crypt parva and the Micro Sword which i really like the look of but i dont want it to die i rather it stay green and grow slow then die away.

thats the only thing putting me off getting it :/

at the moment i dose Lush max and no co2 so im seeing how its going

say if i did go and get the vals nana would i have the same problem i am having with the HC or would it be much easier to grow? as this is the only plant that looks similar to HC other than the micro sword and it also seems like the vals grow well in my tanks i have both normal and vals gigantica

Fishenthusiast?

HG is very hard with no co2. Any carpet will take a lot of patience without co2. If u do go with val then don't use liquid carbon like easy carbo or excel as it will melt and die.

All low light plants are slow growers apart from wisteria basically [emoji106]

yeah i had a read online and it seems like it takes forever to get going :/ i dont know if im that patience. Only thing is i dont mind getting both the Crypt parva and the Micro Sword which i really like the look of but i dont want it to die i rather it stay green and grow slow then die away.

thats the only thing putting me off getting it :/

at the moment i dose Lush max and no co2 so im seeing how its going

say if i did go and get the vals nana would i have the same problem i am having with the HC or would it be much easier to grow? as this is the only plant that looks similar to HC other than the micro sword and it also seems like the vals grow well in my tanks i have both normal and vals gigantica

Crypt parva doesn't need pressurized CO2, but it would grow even slower. Dwarf Sag would be a guaranteed nice plant for you--one that you'd be safe with. Val nana would be easy to grow, it'd just be very difficult to make a carpeted appearance from it due to its growth rate and size. Google True Dwarf Sag. It has a narrower leaf. It's not available right now (http://www.hanaquatics.com/true-dwarf-sagittaria-subulata/), but it'd be a nice plant for you. As Bert mentioned, don't use a lot of liquid CO2 with Val.

Crypt parva doesn't need pressurized CO2, but it would grow even slower. Dwarf Sag would be a guaranteed nice plant for you--one that you'd be safe with. Val nana would be easy to grow, it'd just be very difficult to make a carpeted appearance from it due to its growth rate and size. Google True Dwarf Sag. It has a narrower leaf. It's not available right now (http://www.hanaquatics.com/true-dwarf-sagittaria-subulata/), but it'd be a nice plant for you. As Bert mentioned, don't use a lot of liquid CO2 with Val.

+1 fish is the man when it comes to low tech tanks. Knows his stuff [emoji106]

fishenthusiast could you please have a look?
also is it harder to grow?

thanks

i appreciate all the help!

i found this could you tell me if this is the true thin leaved dwarf sag?
Sagittaria subulata Grass Aquarium aquatic tropical live fish tank plant | eBay

also wanted to ask is the true thin leaved dwarf sag harder to grow then the normal one?

No. That is regular Dwarf Sag. Look for Sagittaria subulata 'True'. That Dwarf Sag in the link would still work. They have the same hardiness. Put a couple root tabs under them, and keeping dosing a little bit of ferts, and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom