Water Changes During Fish In Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a beginner should be made aware of both methods so that they can make their own educated choice. The problem is most people who come to this forum have already chosen a route and there are different reasons why they have gone down this route. Could be that they didn't know about the other, they didnt feel comfortable with a certain method, think one method is the right way to go because people will judge me if I dont or because they saw someone else do it a certain way.

There are pros and cons to both if uneducated. As far as advice to the newbie goes, I would explain these to them and allow them to formulate their own opinion. Personally, I have never done a fish less cycle but if someone had chosen to do one then no problem I would help them all the same.

We are here to advise. Not necessarily to teach or preach. Advice means allowing people to see things from more than one perspective and allowing the individual to make their own choices.

Its like the old carbon filter debate, i hate it when people tell others not to use it. Present the pros and cons of carbon filtration and let the person decide for themselves.

I think the fact is that many beginners choose to do fishless is because they cant harm any fish full stop and they may not be aware that this is also possible if done responsibly with a fish in. Also, I would really have to question the ease of the fishless cycle. There are so many threads on here relating to fish less cycling problems its unbelievable. Most I have found is down to impatience, impatience is consistent in both methods.

Lets not assume that people cant grasp the concept of certain things. The fact that they have come here for advice is saying something in itself. I think fish in is easier and safe but that is just my opinion and I would present that to a beginners but also make them aware that there are another ways.

This forum should be called aquarium debate. We get so bogged down arguing that we scare people off. What good is that? I have been guilty of this myself.

Personally I don't know if giant danios would have been the fish id have chosen due to increased bioload. I would probably have chose less numbers of a smaller fish for a 20 gallon.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do think that these mile-long threads drag on, but they do serve a purpose beyond just helping the OP. They can also get more information flowing between regular posters here, which is always a good thing! Or they can cause a knock down drag-out fight, but still!

I do think that these mile-long threads drag on, but they do serve a purpose beyond just helping the OP. They can also get more information flowing between regular posters here, which is always a good thing! Or they can cause a knock down drag-out fight, but still!
+1! I think the more we talk about cycling of all types, the better informed we all are.

It's important to note that for every 100+ post slugfest post like this, there are many, many more brief 'help threads' that are often informed by them.

I think our problem is not breaking threads off and starting appropriately named new ones for discussion (which would actually attract more people to the discussion) when they get derailed into a deeper discussion.

I mean how many more people would be in the science thread if it weren't called "Post your test data"?
Same with this one

Back
Top Bottom