What am I doing wrong???? Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydaveg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have setup a new 55g tank

I cannot seem to get the ammonia and nitrite down, and I still have zero nitrate.

I started with a week of 4 cherry barbs and added 2 bottles of fluval cycle.

The I added a few small 1inch cichlids.

Since that time I have continues to have a high ammonia and nitrite despite 50% water changes daily

I have 2 fluval 306, each with 250ml seachem Purigen.

I don't think I over feed

I also added a bottle of tetra smart start and it seems like I have no bacteria converting the nitrite to nitrate.

Any suggestions?
f13360034f6f67c616432f509965569c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though the numbers are obscured by the tubes, I'm reading those as 0.25 ppm ammonia, 0.25 nitrate, and 0 nitrate. Maybe 0.50 ammonia.
How long has this been cycling? A week? Sounds like it's very early in the process. The cycle may take 3-6 weeks to complete starting from scratch. Not sure how effect the Tetra product is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Two days ago the ammonia was 8 and nitrite was off the chart also.
The ammonia is .5 now and nitrite still .5

But that is with two 50% water changes a day.

Are any of those bacterial products worth it? Or will I just have to test daily, change water , and wait.

I would get more fluval cycle or any of them if they would speed up the process.

Gotta keep waiting. This is why the fishless cycle is recommended. It can take quite a while for the bacteria colony to grow large enough to do its thing. All the while the ammonia and nitrite are poisoning whatever fish are in the tank so keep up with those water changes. Some of the bottled bacteria works but its sensitive living stuff and can be killed rather easily. If it was not shipped correct or stored correct (too hot or too cold) then its a bottle of nothing! The tetra safestart and Dr Tims bottled bacteria are the two that seem to get the best results.

Just went to my local pet store and he gave me nite-out II . Will try that one.

He also said to limit water changes because it can slow down the cycling process.

He also said to limit water changes because it can slow down the cycling process.
Yes, there is a happy medium somewhere that doesn't stress the fish too much and allows the bacteria to effectively colonize. What you were doing is way too much. Don't emphasize testing so much, since you already have a pretty good idea what is going on. I'd estimate 30% every other day is plenty. Just a guess. Test towards the end of the off day and note any trend, if possible. As long it's not getting worse you should be fine.

I have setup a new 55g tank

I cannot seem to get the ammonia and nitrite down, and I still have zero nitrate.

I started with a week of 4 cherry barbs and added 2 bottles of fluval cycle.

The I added a few small 1inch cichlids.

Since that time I have continues to have a high ammonia and nitrite despite 50% water changes daily

I have 2 fluval 306, each with 250ml seachem Purigen.

I don't think I over feed

I also added a bottle of tetra smart start and it seems like I have no bacteria converting the nitrite to nitrate.

Any suggestions?

Firstly, if I were you I would remove the inhabitants asap. I say that because even low leveles of ammonia and Nitrite have an adverse effect. If I'm remembering this correctly Ammonia burns the fish while nitrite effects the fish internally.

But to the bolded... I once read a full blown debate on tpt or Ukaps many moons ago. In short, those "quick cycle" products or other related items which claim to have beneficial bacteria are not worth the money. I think it was a marine biologist or someone in that field that explained that in order for those products to actually contain bb it would need to ship with some type of ammonia and nitrite source and then be sold and dispersed into the end users tank within a relatively short space of time. And the sad truth is very few lfs', at least in my city, move those things in enough volume and frequency for those products to contains bacs needed. In my humble opinion, they are a very exspensive waste of time.

Particularly since you've added them and still don't have any nitrates which is the end result of the process you're hoping to kickstart. I would get a bottle of pure ammonia and start from there.

I can't take the fish out because I have no where to put them.

I am going to monitor the ammonia , and do water changes when it gets to around 2ppm. Currently I am .5 ppm. It will just take longer to cycle I assume.

the first time I tested the water it was over 8ppm so the fish must be hearty. Didn't have a single dead fish.

Should I change water or just let it ride another day ?
cecf9acd9f450d8580d4489b3f215621.jpg

Hardy fish or not, the more strain on them the higher your fatality rates will end up being. I'd say, since you're already getting nitrites, you're close to cycled. The hard part about fish-in cycling is trying to get the bb to grow while keeping the water safe for the fish. If you're getting 1ppm of ammonia, it's time for another 50% water change. Ideally, you don't want it to go above .5ppm, but seems like your stocking levels are too high at the moment to keep them that low and let the bb grow. Nitrites are equally dangerous, and should also be aimed at keeping below .5ppm. Do you know anyone with an established tank? If so, see if they are willing to give you some of their filter material. Keep it in some of the tank water during transport. You don't want it to dry out. If you don't know anyone with an established tank, see if your LFS is willing to give you a bit of their filter media. Once you have some of the bb the processes nitrite to nitrate, your fish will be safer and it won't take long for that bb to multiply.

Time to change the water?

432c5cbf2635230cd15805729d236d33.jpg

Amazing. I did a 50% this am.
Plus added stability , microlift special blend and nite out II

That's the reading after a 50% this am.

I have lots of fish in the tank. Probably too many which is my problem.

I'll do another one tonight.

Today is the first time in weeks I have any nitrite. It's always been negative with high anmonia. I was thinking this is a good reading now that I am getting some conversion to nitrite.

I'm also using lots of prime so maybe that's detoxifying it for the fish.

That's a LOT of ammonia... I can't believe the fish are still alive! How many fish and what types of fish? How long has this tank been running? How much prime are you using and how often?

Just keep doing 50% pwc until the water is safe for fish. You should upgrade the tank size, rehome a handful of fish and or include a new filter. If you have a hib filter, you can add a second filter pad in most of the units which of course would double the capacity of area for BB to colonize.

As maintenance, consider doubling the frequency of pwc you do at present after you get the water to a safe number for all measurements on the test kit chart. Nitrite is a killer.

I did a 50% last night, and today was the same. Did another one this am.
I have two fluval 306s and the bio baskets are filled. I'll send some pictures later. I prob need a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom