What are scuds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I've been interested jn starting an invert aquarium, and I keep running into topics about scuds while looking up things. So what are these anyway and how are do they get in tanks in the first place, also, why are they considered pests?

Thanks in advance! :)

Well scuds aka water fleas reproduce very raplidly and are very fast and gross IMO

Sometimes referred to as sand fleas, they are small shrimp like creatures found in fresh and salt water. Fish eat them. Google "amphipod".

How do these creatures ever get in your tank in the first place?

Usually through the introduction of plants. Some people raise them or introduce them on purpose as food for fish.

I had a population that at first I thought were really young red cherry shrimp. They got to be annoying so I've emptied the tank they were in of any fish or decorations and will be frying them with high heat soon.

I have some scuds in my tank, no idea how they got there, they must have hitchhiked on some plants I bought. I actually quite like watching them. They are pretty small, the adults are just over a 1/4 inch, so they probably wouldn't survive in anything other than an invert only tank.

Back
Top Bottom