What filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffernut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon with 74 lbs of LR and a coralife 65 protein skimmer. I would like to add a filter. I need some suggestions.

It is my understanding that you do not need to add mechanical filtration to a SW setup. The use of them will only cause issues. most people that use them replace the media with LR rubble from what I have read. I would let someone else more experienced chime in tho...

It is recommended 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon and a good skimmer are enough for proper biofiltration. I have a fluvial304 (last year's model, they are now 305) and have removed the sponges. I do use it to run purigen and have the original ceramic rings that came with it, but they could easily be replaced by LR rubble.

Why do you feel you need mechanical filtration? Could you post your tank info and tank inhabitants in the info section. I`m thinking maybe by your username you have a puffer in your tank maybe a filter to run GAC or purigen might be a good idea if you have messy eaters in your tank. Get back with us as to what is in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom