What fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kneaso_2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. Right now I have a 3.5 gallon freshwater tank with one mystery snail. I do have a heater that keeps it at 76°-78°. Silk plants. I’d like to get fish as well, but am not sure what to do with such a small tank. I was planning on just doing a betta, but I’m wondering if a few guppies would work too, or if y’all have any other suggestions. I typically do a 25% water change every 7-10 days. I know it’s a tiny tank, but I like the maintenance level. Thanks!

The best fish for such a small tank would be a betta. They are small, not active swimmers, dont need the company of other fish, so they are the best fit for small tanks.

I would say that guppies wouldnt work as well as they do better in groups. While 1 or 2 guppies would fit from a bioload PoV, they would be better with a few more fish.

3g would make a good shrimp tank. Have you considered that as an option?

A betta will need open space to move but, importantly, places to hide. Consider the Betta Log, a hidey-hole/bedroom for them feel safe. Picture it in your 3.5: how would it fit in that space?

I used a 3.5g for my betta's travel tank in Sept. I brought along two important things so he'd feel comfortable: his log, and a blue silk plant (he loves that thing, the same color he is). While traveling I removed them so he wouldn't get bashed. At destinations I placed them back in. He was happy enough, though seemed bored with so little to occupy his sharp mind. He has a wonderland of exploration in his larger home tank.

It's also recommended to give bettas daily exercise with the "5 Minutes Only" mirror ball. Mine lives for his. While in that little boring tank his whole day revolved around two things: exercise time (or Fight Club, as I call it) and my presence. He really hung on my appearances at the tank, with little else to do except wait for some interaction.

If you consider moving up to a 5g you'll find there's so much more to decorate a betta's world to keep him interested and busy all day. The difference in water changing is nil: same percentage, just a bit more. Both sizes take just a few minutes each week.

Back
Top Bottom