What if....? Converting tank to African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Ok. So it's got a fake rock wall in front? How does the water get through? Top, bottom, holes?

It goes over the top in places if you look close it has a spot that dips down. And there are holes for the fish and water to flow threw. You can buy fake cichlid rocks they are good for breeding. But kinda pricey

Andrew McFadden said:
If your using real ones yes it could break the seal and if they fall it can break the bottom. Most people add egg cartons under the sand so if it falls it doesn't break it. I don't have to worry about it since its all fake

They are real. Idk what kind of rock they are though. Lava maybe. I can't find egg crate here so I'm going to use slate tiles or styrofoam under the sand to protect the bottom. Now I'm worried about the sides :/

Mumma.of.two said:
They are real. Idk what kind of rock they are though. Lava maybe. I can't find egg crate here so I'm going to use slate tiles or styrofoam under the sand to protect the bottom. Now I'm worried about the sides :/

You can't find cichlid rocks there? They look real if you turn them where you can't see the hole in them. I would only stack them a quarter the way up and then get some fake ones to mix them up the rest of the way up

Andrew McFadden said:
It goes over the top in places if you look close it has a spot that dips down. And there are holes for the fish and water to flow threw. You can buy fake cichlid rocks they are good for breeding. But kinda pricey

I looked at them. VERY expensive.

image-1874243362.jpg

image-1613336928.jpg

These are the ones I got. A bit big IMO but they will stack well and are free. :)

If you use styrofoam witch is what I would do you have to use a ton of caulking you want something with cushion. And believe me I know about Styrofoam cause that's what I made my background out of.

Andrew McFadden said:
You can't find cichlid rocks there? They look real if you turn them where you can't see the hole in them. I would only stack them a quarter the way up and then get some fake ones to mix them up the rest of the way up

Can't find egg crate. Cichlid stone I can but cost heaps! I'm trading some stuff at my LFS today so I'm going to see if I can get some things.

Andrew McFadden said:
If you use styrofoam witch is what I would do you have to use a ton of caulking you want something with cushion. And believe me I know about Styrofoam cause that's what I made my background out of.

I'm hoping the rocks and weight of the sand will hold it down. It's only going to be 1/2" thick.

Mumma.of.two said:
Incase anyone's interested, here's the tank in question. Not very long but very high. Gotta dip my armpit to reach the bottom lol!
(I'm painting the back at the moment)

Is this glass or acrylic

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm hoping the rocks and weight of the sand will hold it down. It's only going to be 1/2" thick.

It won't if it does I will be amazed I wouldn't try it if it comes up those rocks are going to fall and break that tank

How big are those rocks? They look really big in the pic and I'm just wondering if those Cichlids are strong enough to knock them down.

Andrew McFadden said:
How big are those rocks? They look really big in the pic and I'm just wondering if those Cichlids are strong enough to knock them down.

I'll get a picture next to something when I get home. They are fairly large. I don't see a fish any smaller than a Oscar moving them.
Don't ask me the model number of the tank. It's second hand :p

Mumma.of.two said:
I'll get a picture next to something when I get home. They are fairly large. I don't see a fish any smaller than a Oscar moving them.
Don't ask me the model number of the tank. It's second hand :p

Lol I'm not I tryed to look it up but I think it is only sold there and in China and I can't find any info on it. But its a good looking tank wouldn't mind having it myself to go back to saltwater.

Andrew McFadden said:
Lol I'm not I tryed to look it up but I think it is only sold there and in China and I can't find any info on it. But its a good looking tank wouldn't mind having it myself to go back to saltwater.

That's what it was before I got it. A failed attempt at saltwater lol.

Back
Top Bottom