What if....? Converting tank to African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive got juvenile peacocks in with a venustus and zebras, no problems

Not sure if this will help you or not, but if you have an angle grinder, you can buy a diamond blade for it pretty cheap, that will slice through any rock ya got. Diamond blades here in the states are as low as 20 bucks. You could even hollow out some of them rocks with it and create caves out of the rock it's self instead of stacking them to make caves.

Andrew McFadden said:
I feed very little blood worms and some flake one day then skip a day then I feed sinking cichlid pellets and a little flake, sometimes I give them worms from outside and I give them peas one day. I only feed very little and skip days cause they eat the turtle food aswell when I try to feed it.

That's a lot of protein in their diet.

Sake said:
Not sure if this will help you or not, but if you have an angle grinder, you can buy a diamond blade for it pretty cheap, that will slice through any rock ya got. Diamond blades here in the states are as low as 20 bucks. You could even hollow out some of them rocks with it and create caves out of the rock it's self instead of stacking them to make caves.

A $2 ceramic tile blade will cut through also. Usually they come with the angle grinder.

Sake said:

I do! (Well my husband does lol) I'm not sure what blades he's got but I can always buy more.

Andrew McFadden said:
How many and what all type of tanks do you have?

Let's see, I have the 70g, 40g goldfish, 26g divided Betta tank, 17g community, 10g community, 8g community, 8g riparium, 7g cube with Betta and 2.5g with Betta. All are planted even the goldfish tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
Let's see, I have the 70g, 40g goldfish, 26g divided Betta tank, 17g community, 10g community, 8g community, 8g riparium, 7g cube with Betta and 2.5g with Betta. All are planted even the goldfish tank.

I have no idea where I could put that many besides my wife would kill me

Andrew McFadden said:
I have no idea where I could put that many besides my wife would kill me

I've started stacking them lol! I have a really ugly utility shelf in my lounge room. One day I'll have a house with a fish room so they aren't scattered all over the house. I have a VERY understanding husband. He does think I'm crazy though. Hahaha!

Thank you. The mix was not planned. I ended up rescuing alot of fish from different people and just kind of ended up with the mish mash of fish. If I have had any aggresion in either tank it was between the same kind of fish. Like yellow lab and yellow lab.

spoonman said:
Thank you. The mix was not planned. I ended up rescuing alot of fish from different people and just kind of ended up with the mish mash of fish. If I have had any aggresion in either tank it was between the same kind of fish. Like yellow lab and yellow lab.

It's good its working out for you. :) you have some very nice fish btw!

image-1472432618.jpg

image-3139812002.jpg

image-3884629692.jpg

image-1821695875.jpg

I went shopping!
The rock from my garden isn't lava rock. It's heaps heavier than the stuff I just got. I'm going to split the ones from the garden and use them on the bottom caves then stack the lighter lava rock on top. I got two hollow logs to create even more hiding places.

Mumma.of.two said:
I went shopping!
The rock from my garden isn't lava rock. It's heaps heavier than the stuff I just got. I'm going to split the ones from the garden and use them on the bottom caves then stack the lighter lava rock on top. I got two hollow logs to create even more hiding places.

Nice I think they will blend well with the others.
Also I thought I may tell you I wouldn't fill the tank to much with rocks haps are open water fish peacocks are free swimmers and the mbuna like the rocks. They need there space or it won't go over well for someone or someone's

Andrew McFadden said:
Nice I think they will blend well with the others.
Also I thought I may tell you I wouldn't fill the tank to much with rocks haps are open water fish peacocks are free swimmers and the mbuna like the rocks. They need there space or it won't go over well for someone or someone's

I did read all that already. :)

image-1488007832.jpg

I started placing rocks in earlier. They aren't going any more to the left than what they already are. Not much further forward and another layer or two on top on the right. The two in the very middle aren't staying there (I don't think). Just wanted to visualize where they should stop. So the rocks should take up about 1/3 of the tank. Maybe a little more.

Back
Top Bottom