What is a total estimate for starting a saltwater tank? With everything inclded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do i need and what is a fair estimate for everything?

To start couple hundred and to maintain it couple thousand over the years it all adds up

Depends what equipment you buy if you have a skimmer etc etc. safe to say it's an expensive hobby if you just buy from your lfs try and find stuff on Craigslist or here in the forsale section and piece it together cheaper that way
Nothing wrong with used stuff

I added up all my reciets the other day and since march i have spent $1379! Wow. 28gallon jbj nano cube.

So far I've spent about 400 bucks on a 28 g jbj nano cube and its not even set up lol

Lol money well spent my 29 gallon reef a year old now all added up well over 1500 corals included ....lights were the most expensive piece obviously

I know just in my 40gal breeder with a 20 long sump that's almost 1.5 years old I have $1500+ in so far.

You can find deals on craig's list, if you can get an established tank it is alot less. I got a 93 gallon cube with everything for like 700. Started a 65 gallon from scratch and I have about 900 in it and I am only 3 weeks into the cycle.

I've got an excel spreadsheet that has every expense related to the tank.... hardware & livestock. Everything added up, including support equipment like test kits, RODI system, dosing pumps, power strips, timers..... Misc supplies like filters, DI resin, buckets of salt, all the way down to epoxy, super glue, coral dip, etc, etc... I've got nearly $2500 wrapped up in a 28g nano. Not saying you have to spend this much, but you'd be surprised just how much all the little things add up..... see my sig below ;)

I stopped counting after the first 3 grand !!!

but I'm sure it's up there a lot more by now

I try not to think about it too much though

probably could have bought a new truck by now

Having a reef tank can get costly. BUT if you had a 10-20 gallon tank and did almost everything DIY (LED lights, stand, plumbing,etc.) and found great deals on a local forum/craigslist for livestock deals you'd spend hundreds of dollars instead of thousands. I found that smaller tanks on CG are priced high, but larger ones with equipment included go cheap, but if you can find a tank that you like and is priced great then get it on craigslist! My 70 gallon reef has gotten really pricey. I added up the cost of equipment and stopped b/c there was just too much to add. Livestock has been prob. $500+ in a few months.

My 29g reef easily has 2,000+ in it. All depends on what you want and how easy you wanna make it on yourself.

Wow I feel bad....I coulda remodeled my bathroom and installed a new roof with what I've sank in so far lol.

Unfortunately I bit the bullet and got all new equipment and have OCD when it comes to filters (I overkill big time) lol.

I have a 90 gallon tall tank. So far I am estimating $1800. My tank and stand I bought used with a 20 gallon sump that I modified for $600. The lights cost $350. Everything else just added up.

I have about 4 grand in my 300 gallon so far, without counting routine maintenance costs.
If you counted in labor and upkeep supplies, it would probably be 3 times that amount.

I'm over 3k into my 46 bowfront 20 gallon sump. The amount and rarity of corals that you want can really jump the overall price up a lot and then you still got the $80 a bucket for salt just so you can do water changes which also adds up quickly lol

Back
Top Bottom