What is the cause?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about 3 months ago I bought two Appistogramma cacatuoides from the same place, one male and one female. The male died within a month from what I assumed was stress from the elevated heat/salt I was using to treat ich. (Which I'm pretty sure he brought in) Just now I had to euthanize the female as she showed the same signs and I was doubtful she would live. They both had swim bladder problems(?) they couldn't get off the sand, stayed on their side, bent spine and slow breathing. Does anyone know what caused this and what I should have done?

All other fish and plants look great.

Amm.=0
Nit.=0
Nat.=10
Tested just an hour ago.

Other fish are just tetras and Cory's.

I keep Apisto's, Rams, Discuss, Centrals, and Africans. From what your describing with the other fish doing ok, you got some sick fish. The apisto C's could easily have withstood standard heat/salt up to 87 degrees for close too two weeks. If the place you purchased them from has a money back, I'd go for it, along with taking a water sample. The only other possibility, which is unlikely if your other fish are fine, is some Toxin in the water, which for those signs is usually high ammonia or nitrite.
Take care,
Sam
Also, if you don't mind chemicals, use Paraguard from Seachem to treat ich. Doesn't hurt plant's or inverts, and will clear you up in under 6 days.

I just don't understand how after two months of doing fine and leaving school with her fine, coming back to find her with identical symptoms as my male and on deaths door.

Back
Top Bottom