What kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gianna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some live plants from a small store a week or two ago and on accident some snails came with it. Today they were on top of eachother but I don’t know what kind of snail they are so I can’t see what gender they are either. Can someone help? These are freshwater snails.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4DEFAB3A-463D-4FFC-8B37-AF72E85F7FA0.jpg
    4DEFAB3A-463D-4FFC-8B37-AF72E85F7FA0.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 20
Looks to me like pond snails. I would remove them quickly as the multiply very quickly and are difficult to combat once eggs have been laid in the tank.

Do you know of a way to get rid of them? I unfortunately can’t add another fish that eats them since I just have guppies so I don’t want the guppies to be attacked either. Do you know of any other snail breeds that don’t reproduce? Im not against snails and I want one to help my tank but I am definitely not interested in baby snails 24/7. Thanks

Black racer nerite snails are my go to. Their eggs aren't viable in freshwater and they do a pretty good job with algae. 1 for every 5 gallons of tank has been to be a good ratio for me.

Back
Top Bottom