What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few years ago, I went to a yard sale. I picked out some random books for $0.25 each. I skimmed them, shoved them into my ever expanding book collection, and forgot about them for a few years. Last year, I was just browsing through my collection when I see "Setting up a Freshwater Aquarium". Long story short, I had a new fish tank and severe Multi-tank syndrome by the end of the month.

A bit of a delayed reaction for me. (y)

I had a betta for years before I really got into it so mine was a delayed reaction too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I grew up with a small 10gl in the house my dad used to take care of. I loved to watch the fish as a kid and have always loved fish tanks. The bigger the better. At 47 years old I FINALLY decided to get one because I got a real good deal on a 35gl system. I actually want to go to a SW tank with a reef but, I thought a FW tank was a good place to learn. Next up is a planted tank.

I am amazed how much of a family affair a tank is. Everyone here is really getting into it including my wife. As long as she don't have to take care of it lol. (y)

I am a keeper of tuetles.. I only started keeping fish when I could not go thur with feed said turtles some goldfish. Do I set up a tank for them... now I have 3 tanks . one I'd the aggressive tank.. Oscar Jack my turtles... then Simi aggressive tank. Blue gumbi[sp] parrots and a baby turtle. Last thank is full of any one who needs a home.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Always been interested in tanks

I started with tropical in my 20's, then 5 years later moved to Marine, I loved the marine tank, and the fish were so vibrant in colour, I used to watch as hermit crab changed shells and remember seeing what I thought was a dead one, it had just shed its entire outer shell, all was good until I found out how they were caught in the sea, they used cyanide to stun the fish to catch them, that's when I went back on to fresh water fish and have been ever since.

I LOVE marine biology!!!!! :D I have always loved science and the ocean. My dad suggested that I get a freshwater tank. He helped my get it going because he had fish when he was a kid. I now have a 5.5 gallon tank with two guppies! Yeah!!! ;)

I LOVE marine biology!!!!! :D I have always loved science and the ocean. My dad suggested that I get a freshwater tank. He helped my get it going because he had fish when he was a kid. I now have a 5.5 gallon tank with two guppies! Yeah!!! ;)

I'm the same way. First thing I ever said I wanted to be when I grew up was a marine biologist. Since I can remember I was fascinated by marine life, and some of my earliest memories are of helping my dad with the huge freshwater planted tank he had. I got away from that at some point but after 5 years studying psychology I came to the realization that marine biology is what I need to be doing. Hopefully I will be back in school soon studying to do what I love.

I was introduced to keeping fish when I was practically an infant and now at 25 it's still a passion. Stick with it! It's the best hobby I have ever found, and my biggest passion.

Hmm.. How did this obsession of mine start? When I was younger, I was give 4 african dwarf frogs as pets. They were in a small tank and I had them for 4 or 5 years. When I was a senior in high school I got a job at a family owned pet store, that had it’s own fish room. This pet store wasn’t like Petco or Petsmart, and actually cares about it’s customers and the animals that it carries. Eventually, all but 1 frog died off. I figured that I needed a friend for the lonely frog and bought a betta with a nice employee discount from the store. Shortly after that the last frog died and now the betta was all alone! Well we couldn’t have that, now could we? So I figured I’d by a bigger tank and get a bunch of fish to be friends with the betta. That was my first tank. It had tetras, guppies, and a betta. My dad would often come in my room to look at the fish, and tell me all about how he had fish when he was growing up too, which he had never mentioned before.

After that, I became very good friends with a coworker that worked in the fish room, and we talked all the time about our pets. She introduced me to Axolotls and I just HAD to have one. I asked my parents, (yes I’m a college student and I live at home!) and eventually they said I could get 1 more tank. A 10 gallon, for a tiny Axxie baby. But now this axolotl was alone, and so I had to get him a friend. Can you see the trend here? And got a second Axolotl baby.

Friday of last week I had a bit of an upgrade. My betta tank, which now has a new betta since the last one passed, went from a 10 gallon to a 15. My axolotl tank went from a 10 gallon to a 33 breeder. I spent an entire pay check, which for a broke student is a lot of money. In the future I would love to start a saltwater tank, but that won’t be any time soon.

When my dad started a fish tank when I was little, I'm only 14 and I am maintaining 2 fish tanks, soon to be more.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411435907.000606.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411435979.998633.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411436048.841280.jpg

My mom kept a tank in our house since I was a little girl ; maybe about 3 years old. It was a 30 gallon and always had a small collection of fat goldfish in it. One year when I was about 15 we got this regular looking goldfish who was all white except for a orange moustache across his upper lip. I proceeded to name him Mr. mustache and would often sit in front of the tank and talk in a high pitched voice which would make him come swimming over. Mr mustache lived for 6 years and on my 21st birthday he passed away. After that my mom gave up the tank and sold it. It's almost lame of me. But I was really heart broken over the loss of my goldfish at the age of 21. From there on out to fill the hole in my heart I purchased my first fluval edge 6 gallon and have fallen in love with my own fish ever since. Mr mustache is too blame for my obsession now. That's all I can really pinpoint it at. :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411709742.591094.jpg

I loved fish and always wanted an aquarium, so i set one up with basic supplies. That was about two years ago and now i have two tanks, a ten gallon and 38 gallon both doing very well. My family has also had a little history with raising fish as pets.

I've always loved aquariums and I really love plants so a fresh water planted aquariums was the perfect combination. I started with a 10 gallon and I plan on upgrading as soon as I perfect the science. Best hobby ever.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411951279.166719.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've always loved aquariums and I really love plants so a fresh water planted aquariums was the perfect combination. I started with a 10 gallon and I plan on upgrading as soon as I perfect the science. Best hobby ever.
View attachment 251262

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What plants are in your tank

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a Russian Tortoise and a Shih Tzu that I love with all of my heart. :) I also ride horses competitively, so I've gotten really close with many different varieties of animals. I wanted an aquarium just because I love having the responsibility of taking care of my pets, and I just love surrounding myself with animals because they really help with anxiety issues and different things :)

I've always loved both animals and science haha. I have a great kinship with nonhumans and had always wanted a tank but didn't have the money. So one day I came home from work to my boyfriend setting up a tank he got from a friend who didn't want it anymore. A 55 gallon, completely covered in algae and housing a 15" iridescent shark, two silver dollars, three cories, some seriously sharp slate and nasty gravel. I was heartbroken and excited. A year and a half later, the tank is overhauled, the Shark rehomed in a 3500 gallon indoor pond, and now 16 happy fish. I also got a 20 gallon with some tetras and cories from someone who had upgraded. I am now on this forum almost every day, on craigslist and eBay definitely every day, and excited to get rid of all my furniture and replace it with tanks lol.

Back
Top Bottom