What to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IDK what to do (either give the bettas bigger tanks or not) so I decided to have you

• Give the bettas a 5 gal each

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Don't give them anything new

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give them more than 5 gal

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • (try to) acclimate them peacefully into the communtiy tanks

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 1 gal tanks with bettas in each, and one 10 gal tank with an aquaclear 30 pf. I want to get a bigger tank so I can have more and bigger fish but idk wat to get. I want something that looks nice like fluvial chi or edge and biorb and biube. I want atleast 15 gallons but preferably more. My budget is 350 dollars for the whole tank setup. 250 for the tank and the rest for filter, (unless already included), gravel, etc. Also fish. Please suggest tanks, filters, plants, fish, etc.

May I suggest you upgrade your betta tanks? =] 1 gal is really not suitable for a single betta, so you may find that they are happier if they have 5g each!

I've thoth bout upgrading betta tanks but they seem to be just fine how they r. I have had one of them for almost 2 years now. My lfs says that they would even be ok in a half gallon, but I think that's cruel.

Your LFS, excuse my somewhat-language, is full of beans. Bettas are not okay in a 1/2 gallon. To be honest, there are several reasons to upgrade that are not evident immediately. I don't want to push you, but if you're interested, feel free to ask more. =]

maxwellag said:
I've thoth bout upgrading betta tanks but they seem to be just fine how they r. I have had one of them for almost 2 years now. My lfs says that they would even be ok in a half gallon, but I think that's cruel.

im not trying to be rude but trying to help you care for your pets the best and to avoid heart ache sence you got cash to spend buy them each a 5 gal with filter and heater it wont cost much. they maybe fine but there not there cramped and stressed you could live in a small jail cell but would you want to?

im not trying to be rude but trying to help you care for your pets the best and to avoid heart ache sence you got cash to spend buy them each a 5 gal with filter and heater it wont cost much. they maybe fine but there not there cramped and stressed you could live in a small jail cell but would you want to?

As much as I agree with you, wolf, it's probably best not to attack anyone on the forum...

He is right though, that you could upgrade to two 5s or an divided 10 for a fraction of your budget now. =]

Rosenweiss said:
As much as I agree with you, wolf, it's probably best not to attack anyone on the forum...

He is right though, that you could upgrade to two 5s or an divided 10 for a fraction of your budget now. =]

i came off as attacking? im sorry didnt intend to im just passionate. but a 10g cost 12.99 divcider 5.99 heater 15 filter 20 thats really not that bad you can still buy a nice 15 setup

i came off as attacking? im sorry didnt intend to im just passionate. but a 10g cost 12.99 divcider 5.99 heater 15 filter 20 thats really not that bad you can still buy a nice 15 setup

I'm sure you didn't mean any harm, but some people might take it as being offensive. =]

lol im.sorry i bought a 15g starter kit for 100-150 and upgraded the filter and heater after gravel decor fish etc total cost ≈200-225 heres a pic of the tank

Looks good. Let's hold off on this convo though so we don't get off-topic. Let's wait until the OP responds.

I hate when LFS's compare the bettas new 'luxury life' in a bowl instead of a rice bog where the originated from. It's complete bs. In all honesty, I think 1 Betta is entitled to a 5 gallon bowl, all to itself.

gkuzel said:
I hate when LFS's compare the bettas new 'luxury life' in a bowl instead of a rice bog where the originated from. It's complete bs. In all honesty, I think 1 Betta is entitled to a 5 gallon bowl, all to itself.

I will even said 5g at least!

A lot of times with those "Modern" tanks such as the edge the filtration sucks. If your looking for something that is a little nicer than a regular tank I would check out the ADA rimless tanks although they are a more pricy. If you are looking for the biggest tank for your budget I would go with a startup kit, or wait for petco to have another dollar per gallon sale. If your not opposed to used tanks check forum classifieds or craigslist.

Sorry if I have been rambling, as far as the bettas bigger can be better a smaller setup does require more maintenance though. If your worried about it buy something bigger if not check this out www.bettatalk.com has some advice for how you should take care of bettas depending on what enviroment you have them in.

maxwellag said:

I have 2 female bettas in my 20g tank as the centerpiece fish, and they're probably the most active fish in my tank, swimming throughout all 20 gallons of it. Based on my own experience, I almost have to even question keeping a betta in anything smaller than a 10g tank.

I understand the plight of chain pet stores and LFS when selling male bettas. You can't exactly dedicate a single 5g tank to every male betta in the store; imagine the total number of tanks they'd need just to house them alone. Also, because of the randomness of male betta temperament, they can't trust spreading them out among the other populated tanks and putting other fish at risk.

However, that said, they shouldn't be suggesting that bettas, male or female, would be just fine in any of the small tanks they sell. Sure, they may be tolerant enough to sit in the butter-sized containers, breathing in their own waste and ammonia, but subsisting in those conditions isn't the same as thriving in a 10g+ tank with plenty of room to swim around.

IMO, the only things a 5g tank are good for are a shrimp-only tank or hospital tank. You could stretch the usefulness of a 5g into the role of QT, but only for small fish and not in mass quantities.

Sorry but I don't have cash to spend. My mom does. She owes me a bunch of cash so she says she will pay for it. Can't bettS sometimes be put in communtity tanks? If so I would put one in each of my com tanks If I get a new one. Than I'd have 2 one gal tanks for fry, quarantine, or hospital.:)

I might get 2 aqueon mini bow tanks. They have a five gallons size with a filter. Nevermind there like 50$ each n I can do way better for that price.

I looked online at petco and petsmart and saw a few 5 gallon systems that come wit everything for about 40$. I couldn't find a plain 5 gal tank with nothing else... I did find some plain to gallons for pretty cheap but I didn't find a divider. I already have a filter for a 10 gal that I don't use right now. Would it be better to get just hat tank and hood, or to get a kit with a filter and everything? and wouldn't one side of he tank get more filtration than he other? The flow may also agitate the fish. It's flo rate is 90 gph. Is that ok or do I need a bigger or smaller one?

I looked online at petco and petsmart and saw a few 5 gallon systems that come wit everything for about 40$. I couldn't find a plain 5 gal tank with nothing else... I did find some plain to gallons for pretty cheap but I didn't find a divider. I already have a filter for a 10 gal that I don't use right now. Would it be better to get just hat tank and hood, or to get a kit with a filter and everything? and wouldn't one side of he tank get more filtration than he other? The flow may also agitate the fish. It's flo rate is 90 gph. Is that ok or do I need a bigger or smaller one?

A 5 gallon kit like that should work fine, one for each of the bettas. Doing a 10g with a divider would be a little harder since from what I've heard you need to make one they can't see through. If you already have the filter for a 10g, though, that might be the cheaper option.

Back
Top Bottom