What to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IDK what to do (either give the bettas bigger tanks or not) so I decided to have you

• Give the bettas a 5 gal each

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Don't give them anything new

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give them more than 5 gal

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • (try to) acclimate them peacefully into the communtiy tanks

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
In my personal bank account I have 400 dollars. If I use 100 of it on upgrading tanks for bettas I think it's kindof a waste. I know that they are way happier in bigger tanks. It's just not my biggest concern right now. I want to get a bigger community tank, not betta tanks. :)

Ok guys I finally took some pics!;) Obviously the bettas are in the one gallons and the big tank is the community...

I'm not lookin for amphibians... Good point tho. I think I'll just keep the bettas in where they already are and get a 20 or 30 gallon community tank.

I'm not lookin for amphibians... Good point tho. I think I'll just keep the bettas in where they already are and get a 20 or 30 gallon community tank.

If that's your choice, then it's definitely up to you. But I don't know why you asked for a poll. No one here will support keeping bettas in a single gallon.

If that's your choice, then it's definitely up to you. But I don't know why you asked for a poll. No one here will support keeping bettas in a single gallon.

+1

Bettas will not grow properly, and their health will be negatively impacted in a tank so small.

5G is the bare minimum you'll want for a single Betta, otherwise the lack of exercise, breathing room, and leg room (euphemistically speaking) will cut their lifespan.

For the record, walmart, of all places, has a basic five gallon starter kit for under thirty. Been toying with getting one for either a shrimp tank or a salt water nano-qt.once I get my sw set up going

If you have 400, you have enough to start a community tank and get two 5-gal setups if you look for a good deal on craigslist.

James_in_MN said:
I understand the plight of chain pet stores and LFS when selling male bettas. You can't exactly dedicate a single 5g tank to every male betta in the store; imagine the total number of tanks they'd need just to house them alone. Also, because of the randomness of male betta temperament, they can't trust spreading them out among the other populated tanks and putting other fish at risk.

I actually have a fish store near me that only stocks about 5 bettas per week, and she integrates them into her tanks with tetras in them. That's the only place Ill buy bettas from now.

Back
Top Bottom