what to put in my 35gall pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know its TINY but its the biggest my parents will let me have... so what to put in it? I want 2 fancy tailed goldies, as that it is 20 gallons for the first an d 10gallons for each on after correct? so that would let me have 2, then somthing else? some small algae eaters? mountain minnow's? thanks (this will also have plants :wink: )

It sounds great what you have listed. You can have the mountain minnows as well. What is your weather like? Is it warm year round?

Sounds great so far! I Agree add some WCMM and possibly some Dojo Loaches for clean up depending on how the pond is shaped and bottom area I'd say 2 would be fine? Be careful tho as they are jumpers and may get freaked out and jump out of the pond. I had this happen with mine in an outdoor pond might not be a great idea but its worth a try...

thanks for the input,
the weather is rather wild here, like last week it was snowing and this week it is 75...so I will wait a while but I wanted to get a good, general idea!

I don't know if I would put fancies outdoors. The poor things can barely swim and you have to keep in mind that cats and birds will be looking to snack on them. Free meal.

I love the mountain minnow idea. What about some wild type livebearers? I LOVE mosquito fish (gambusia affinis). They're great for mosquito control, as the name implies, and there was an episode of Dirty Jobs about them being used to control mosquitos in post-Katrina New Orleans. But you could also get yourself a few pairs of less common livebearers (i.e. Goodeids) and become a breeder.

35 is so small. Is this a container pond? I can't imagine having a 35 in the ground.

There are 2 fancy golds that can do well outside - black moors and gold metalic fantails, they should be OK from predators if you have some plant / rock over hang as cover. Fancier golds will need shelter & protection from predators & the elements (they should have a heater as they don't do well with big temp swings like the day/night difference in spring or fall.)

You can also consider single tailed "fancies" like shubunkins as well.

well it used to be in ground but we are having yard work done so its on the porch,
we have a fence so no cats will get it, and I do plan on having plants like water lillies!

I love my White clouds. They are great fish. Just look around to find more brightly colored ones as they can also dull

The temp swings possible in a 35 gallon pond can be quite drastic and unhealthy for the fish. I would reconsider the small size, or reconsider the pond altogether. If you still decide to go ahead with the pond, insulation and possibly a top cover are needed to prevent the temp swings that evaporation and contact with the surroundings will cause.

I would think a couple heaters placed around the pond with a small amount of current from a PH or 2 would be manditory as well.

Back
Top Bottom