What's going on with my sand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audiophile42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

For starters, I have a 50gal tank with Africans and Clown loaches. It has been up and running for a little over 5 months, no problems. I've used pool filter sand as a substrate, and a few purchased rocks, but mostly rocks that I had found and cleaned to use for structure and caves. I do a pwc almost every week (sometimes a week and a half), and I always go through the sand in most areas to stir it up. A few days ago i was doing a water change, and stirred up some sand in an area i hadn't in a few weeks, because it was underneath a rock that was supporting a bunch of other rocks. The sand that was coming out started to look grey, then the further I got, it was almost black. This freaked me out, so I took out some other rocks, and moved the sand out from them, and it was black too. I ended up taking out all my rocks to inspect the sand, and underneath a few of the rocks, there was this black sand. I scooped it all up, tossed it, finished cleaning and doing the water change, and put it back together. I just got home from traveling over the weekend, and I saw a small patch of grey sand in an area. I turned the sand over, and there was some more of that black sand again. This was after I had turned over the entire sand bed and removed everything black. I do not know what it is going on. This problem has just sprung up recently, it has been a stable tank with no deaths, I've got an XP3 hooked up to it, and i do frequent large water changes. Can ANYONE help me to figure this out? A few of my cichlids seem to like the sand, but if i can't get this resolved, i'm thinking of switching over to a gravel substrate. Thanks in advance for any advice, and if you need any more info, just ask.

It's crud. Stuff decaying in the sand bed. You either need to stir the sand occasionally, or find something to do it for you. Malaysian trumpet snails are a popular choice, and may do okay with your loaches, as they have a harder shell than most snails. Areas under object may still need manual stirring.

This is a little strange and I am sorry I have not had this experience. My PFS was fine.

As far as algae, black beard algae, I don't really know about under the sand bed?

How deep is your sandbed?

Maybe stur the stand more or buy some MTS. Hopefully you will get more definative answers.

Thanks for the responses. The sandbed is about an inch to and inch and a half. Someone had recomended i get some mts when i started the tank, but i couldn't find anyplace in town that had them. I'll make the rounds again and see if someone can order them for me. I originally thoguht that it might be crap that got stuck in the sandbed, and decayed like apocalypse said. But i'm confused about this new stuff. I cleaned this all out thursday night, and i come home sunday afternoon and there is already some more of this stuff? And algae, I get some brown algae here and there on the sides of the tank, but the tank is never in sunlight so it doesn't get too much.

I am thinking BBA/diatoms maybe from the rocks having silica in them. Is the muck really slimy and easy to remove. Is it a cluster of stuff growing together or does it simply come apart when you move the rocks? If it is slimy I would say BBA aka diatoms, if it sticks together then standard algae, if it is just falls apart then it is natural decay process of waste. The MTS will help. I don't know what the gas was but i had it in my gravel tank and the MTS have since eleviated that problem.

The sand itself is black-ish. I had to remove the sand to get it out, it doesn't look like a substance that is on the sand.

My uneducated guess would be decaying matter kind of like a composting process. IMO, the MTS should take care of the buildup once they get established.

Back
Top Bottom