What's the longest living fish I can have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, try Kuhli / Java loaches. They live a while (although you'll never see them). If you have a sand substrate, they will love you for it and get 3 or more so they can shoal together.

Well first an aquarium of any size is not going to be ideal for koi, regardless of what anybody tells you.
Then figure that they get about 3'-5' long when housed properly, and you have your reasons they will never live long in a tank.

The ideal koi setup will be multiple thousands of gallons with areas that are deep, areas that are shallow and calm and areas that are like a river and then they will be in fishy heaven.:fish1:

Oh I definitely know that koi should not be an an aquarium. :) I love koi. I'd love to have a koi and/or goldfish pond someday. That'd be awesome.

My question was more why do most fish in a 10g not live too long? Because of the size of the tank or kind of fish that go in that size tank?

I have sand! Somewhere it said kuhli loaches need 40+ gallons...

NatureFish
????

I would love to have like a snowflake eel but that's a saltwater thing.

NatureFish
????

Kuhli loaches only need 10 gallons. I've never heard of 30+ for them. Mine are 3 years old and only 2.5 inches max.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm ok with live foods and such as long as its not like poor little goldfish being eaten or something.

NatureFish
????

Kuhli loaches only need 10 gallons. I've never heard of 30+ for them. Mine are 3 years old and only 2.5 inches max.

Hoe long do they usually live? I wanted a betta so bad but then I reminded myself how sad I was when bamboo and bubbles passed.

NatureFish
????

I don't care what LiveAquaria "says". They say Altum Angels only need 30+ gallons. They need around 100. They get 12" in length. LiveAquaria isn't accurate all the time. Look up Java Loach. Hilarious fish. That's what mine are. Kuhliis are very similar though. Very small fish. Like eels.

Java loach are sooo awesome I just looked them up!! Wish they had stripes though... :(
I also found the zebra loach! Are they easy to keep? And are the kuhli and java easy too?

NatureFish
????

Java loaches are what I have but most people call it the black kuhli loach. Very easy to take care of. Provide hiding spots. That's a requirement. They also don't eat flakes. Get Omega One shrimp pellets. They shoal so you'll need 3+.

So the java loach lives for around ten years too I guess... Awesome! Do yours come out much? I want to be able to see it!

NatureFish
????

So here is the problem. It doesn't matter how long the fish's life span is, if the tank isn't maintained properly you're going to kill fish. Heck, even when everything is perfect fish are still going to die sometimes.

How long was your betta alive? They can live a long time. Even a danio can live 3. That's a LONG time for such a small creature. You have to assume that most of these small fish don't live long enough to die from old age because something bigger probably eats them. So I agree with brook to get a big ciclid.

An other option no one has mentioned: why not get a dog or cat instead? Cats can live up to 22 years (oldest cat I've ever seen at work) and small dogs live up to 20 years also.

Sent from my iPhone

It's funny you mention it. I've seen them today in my tank. All 3. They don't come out much. I'll be honest. But you shouldn't mess with the water much since they don't have scales

@Emilygupps- I have 3 dogs, 2 horses, 2 cows, 18 chickens, koi and goldfish ponds and 1 leopard gecko... I don't have much room for anything more than a fish tank at my house! I

NatureFish
????

Mine haven't bred. I haven't heard of them breeding in captivity. Maybe you can find a thread on that? Mine seemed fine in the 10g and are doing the same in the 20. Haven't increased in size and look ridiculous when they are out. They swim up to the surface around 5am for me.

So as an overall vote: who thinks I should get kuhli loaches/java loaches and/or Corys for my tank?

NatureFish
????

I vote kuhliis / javas with a bolivian ram!

Back
Top Bottom