What's the longest living fish I can have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't those too big to put in a ten gallon? I have some but they are in my stock tank.

NatureFish
????

By the way I decided on African dwarf frogs and the kuhli loaches and possibly ramshorns. I was going to do ghost shrimp too but that probably won't work well. I'm trying to do something that will be low bio load but with the snails,frogs and loaches will that still be low? I have a sponge filter and it can't handle much.

NatureFish
????

Aren't those too big to put in a ten gallon? I have some but they are in my stock tank.

NatureFish
????

99% of the recommendations on this useless thread are too big to put in a ten gallon..

Either get a bigger tank or just stick with what everyone else does.

You have a pond full of Koi and Goldfish yet you want to mess about with a tiny box..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

99% of the recommendations on this useless thread are too big to put in a ten gallon..

Either get a bigger tank or just stick with what everyone else does.

You have a pond full of Koi and Goldfish yet you want to mess about with a tiny box..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am going to have to agree that many of the recommendations on here I do not find suitable at all for a 10g. Some "can" work, but IMO they really shouldn't and many are species far more likely to die in a smaller than ideal space if the water params go awry at all!

I would skip kuhli loaches. I have kept them for years, and I honestly believe they do much better in larger tanks. Just because they didn't drop dead in a 10g doesn't mean it is the best situation for them. They are quite active, and better off in a larger space IMO. Some people do it, I think they should be kept for a larger tank.

If you want adf, that is fine. Getting healthy ones is tough sometimes, so be careful to watch for sunken bellies and skinny frogs.

I agree that life spans are typically a bit better for larger fish. However, you are still looking at a good handful of years for some species when cared for properly.

Dwarf puffers tend to be very sensitive and you usually have to fight internal parasites with them. They tend to have a pretty decent die off rate after purchase.

You have a lot of options for a 10g, like guppies, a platy, betta, honey gourami, neons, jellybean tetras, ember tetras, dwarf cories, rcs, ghost shrimp, chili rasbora, galaxy rasbora, shell dwelling cichlids, clown killifish, Norman's lamp-eye killifish, dwarf anchor catfish, an oto pair, ect. We are not sure what you want because you thew us off with the life span question, and then with the breeding question. So, they are a good option. Are they the best option? Well, depends. If you like them, I would say go ahead and look into setting up a frog habitat. But, nobody can guarantee that with any species you will get good stock and it will live a long time or that it will breed. A lot of these fish are a bit tricky, and adf can be too. I would go with what you like, and is available, and is appropriate for your tank. Adf are appropriate, so they can certainly be a fun option. :)

You have a lot of options for a 10g, like guppies, a platy, betta, honey gourami, neons, jellybean tetras, ember tetras, dwarf cories, rcs, ghost shrimp, chili rasbora, galaxy rasbora, shell dwelling cichlids, clown killifish, Norman's lamp-eye killifish, dwarf anchor catfish, an oto pair, ect. We are not sure what you want because you thew us off with the life span question, and then with the breeding question. So, they are a good option. Are they the best option? Well, depends. If you like them, I would say go ahead and look into setting up a frog habitat. But, nobody can guarantee that with any species you will get good stock and it will live a long time or that it will breed. A lot of these fish are a bit tricky, and adf can be too. I would go with what you like, and is available, and is appropriate for your tank. Adf are appropriate, so they can certainly be a fun option. :)

Thank you! I will research these! :)
Can I keep anything with my ADFs? Like neons? I wanted to get neons but I heard they are extremely sensitive to water parameters... I need something that is beginner friendly if you know what I mean.

NatureFish
????

Here's my tank by the way... Just added this dwarf hair grass that I'm hoping will carpet out and cover the sand except for this trail. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411510191.374425.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411510366.605107.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411510471.630648.jpg

NatureFish
????

Will a fish like this work? They are really cool IMO. They are also native to my area so I don't know if its legal to have these but they don't have swim bladders and so instead of using their fins for swimming they just use then to kind of scoot themselves around on the sand.
EDIT: forgot the picture.... Picture coming right up!

NatureFish
????

Will a fish like this work? They are really cool IMO. They are also native to my area so I don't know if its legal to have these but they don't have swim bladders and so instead of using their fins for swimming they just use then to kind of scoot themselves around on the sand.
EDIT: forgot the picture.... Picture coming right up!

NatureFish
????

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411517293.609801.jpg

NatureFish
????

If you are looking for something unique, try freshwater sponges. Go to Science Supplies & Curriculum - STEM - Chemistry and look up freshwater sponges. You can keep them with inverts and fish (personally I wouldn't do fish because it will be a lot of work in a 10 gallon), or you can do 4 african dwarf frogs. They live 10+ years and are hardy. The sponges live pretty much forever but you need to feed them green water. Keep the nitrate low by planting lots of bog plants in HOB filters (that's what I do and my nitrate never go above 5ppm in my 32g goldfish tank). Again, that's what I'll do if I had a 10 gallon. I already have that setup on a 7 gallon, so if you have any question you can ask me.

Freshwater sponges? Ok I'll look into that! I don't have an HOB filter but I'm planning on making this a planted tank so nitrates shouldn't be a problem. When you say green water you mean....? I'm definitely looking for something unique and exotic I don't want this to be just some kid's first fish tank with tacky deco and a goldfish that will live for a few days only to die of ammonia poisoning! I want something that most people don't have or at least something that is cool!

NatureFish
????

Freshwater sponges? Ok I'll look into that! I don't have an HOB filter but I'm planning on making this a planted tank so nitrates shouldn't be a problem. When you say green water you mean....? I'm definitely looking for something unique and exotic I don't want this to be just some kid's first fish tank with tacky deco and a goldfish that will live for a few days only to die of ammonia poisoning! I want something that most people don't have or at least something that is cool!

NatureFish
????

If this is your first tank I would not recommend freshwater sponges or any sensitive fw invertebrate. I have noticed in your threads you tend to ask a lot of small questions that could be answered by a quick goggle search. I would say start small like most people and just do a small school of tetras or something and make sure you are capable of that before getting into something more difficult. Good luck! :)

IMO, neons are not very hardy at all. I've seen quite a few posts from others how they purchased a large group and are now down to very small numbers. Cardinals on the other hand seem to be the better choice.

On another note, I've noticed quite a trend that it seems you lack any research skills other than here. You could find out a lot of these answers much more quickly thru other search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. One of your threads was a question about Marineland water conditioner. A quick search (here or there) would have resulted in saving a few bucks on that spur of the moment buy and shown that most use either Seachem or API products with excellent results.

If you've only got one tank to work with, and very little skills, start a search on fish and/or plants most suitable for that. If you have no experience with either, start with one or the other. It will save you lots of headaches an money in the long run. You've gotta be able to walk before you can run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom