When the cycle finishes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When my tank fully cycles, I'm planning on getting discus, because they're a very sensitive fish I didn't want them to be the first fish in there incase there is complications :/
I'm also putting some female bettas in there but I don't think I'll have enough to keep the ammonia up.
I want a hardy fish that can go with discus and bettas, and are also hardy and won't take up my tank space...
I didn't really want any other fish but discus and bettas but I guess I'll just have to :/

If you've never had a betta sorority before, please approach with caution. Quite often, they will kill each other. You have to balance the school out carefully and cautiously. I've done it successfully but still don't recommend it to anyone unless they're very experienced with keeping fish.

Not so sure bettas and discus are a good match.

I already have my female bettas together and theyre all sisters so they get along fine haha
Discus and bettas are so confusing XS lol everyone says something different but I think the deal is; if you have your ph right in the middle it can work. My bettas arnt very fast and competitive so I guess they could be ok :S not sure though haha

I wasn't thinking along the lines of pH, I was wondering if the two species are compatible. I have no experience with discus, but love them.

Lol it's still going to be a while until I get the tank up and running so I'll do heaps more research on that :) I have plenty of books and stuff lol I still need to get to reading them though hehe

I've read some and I don't think it would work long-term. Discus like much warmer waters than Bettas; even though bettas do well in slightly warmer tropical temps (78-80) discus prefer it at least 82; long-term effects of higher temps on bettas can be disease and shortened life-span. Also discus require frequent feedings which means the betta may eat more than it should; they are prone to bloat and swim bladder issues already.

Hmm guess I'll just have to keep them separate then :/
Lol now that that's sorted are there any answers to my original question haha

Haha I didn't really make it clear I just realized :S

I was asking what kind of fish can go with discus and are hardy for me to put in my tank before I get the discus
Because I don't want the discus to be the first fish in the newly cycled tank :) haha

You definitely need the help of discus folks...... sadly, that's not me. :lol:

Don't discus need well established tanks? How long would you have to wait to put them in there, and what would you do with the initial fish when you're ready for discus?

Not to be contrary but the climate of a wild betta and a wild discus seem to be in similar zones, at least looking on a climate map of the world says so. The smaller bodies of water that wild bettas are found in would also help that idea.

Both species have longstanding traditions in how they are kept, though, so I don't want to get into that back and forth.

I have kept discus, and just got rid of my last two just a few days ago. Mine worked well with non aggressive schoolers, and I kept them with everything from angelfish to a BGK. I originally kept them in the mid 80s but lowered it down to the upper 70s after a while and saw no difference in behavior or coloration, so I left them at it. That was just my personal experience though.

I tried keeping a male betta in there for a while, and he did fine, but I honestly think that bettas are better off in smaller tanks with less activity.

:S see what I mean haha different opinions
Lol the diseases dont worry me because Im going to be keeping my water perfect and do water changes twice a week because of the angelfish that I might be getting haha

Back
Top Bottom