which betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
so I have decided that I am going to buy each of my kids (ages 2 and 4) a small tank to go in their rooms. They each have a female betta in my community tank which is limiting my stocking options so I am considering getting one of the kits that has everything included and I am at a cross between two models. One is a 5 gallon kit: Walmart.com: Hawkeye 5 gal Tank Aquarium Kit: Fish
The positive side of getting the 5 gallon is that it comes with a power filter, but I am not sure if that would be too powerful for a betta. I would buy a 50 watt heater to go with each of these.

The other one is the one with the LED light that changes colors. My kids being toddlers, I think they would enjoy it. The downside is it is only 2 gallons and it comes with an icky UGF. I would replaced the UGF with a sponge filter. I would also buy a 7.5 watt heater to go in each of these. Walmart.com: Hawkeye AquaView 360, 2 Gallon Aquarium Kit: Fish

So does anyone have any idea on which set up I would get, or any other kits that are in this price range that might offer something better? I have to buy two so I don't want to go to extravagant. I really like the idea of the LED lights to save on $$$.

Thanks for your input!

I think I am going with the 5 gallons so that they can have a snail with it. The 2.5 gallons just look waaay to small. They only appeal to me because of the LED and colored lights which I think my toddlers would like.

Definitely the five gallon. Betta need a five gallon at the minimum.

Yeah I am definitely getting the 5, after typing this post I made my decision, lol. Sometimes typing things out helps me think. I think I will even give them each an apple snail and maybe some java fern. I wonder if I should do a sand substrate in these little tanks or would gravel be better?

ashleynicole said:
Yeah I am definitely getting the 5, after typing this post I made my decision, lol. Sometimes typing things out helps me think. I think I will even give them each an apple snail and maybe some java fern. I wonder if I should do a sand substrate in these little tanks or would gravel be better?

Sand is always best imo because it is easier to clean and you don't have to clean it as often, and plants like it more.

IMO sand would be better, my betta loves it, I just changed his tank over from gravel about 2 mths ago he seems to like it much better! :)

Back
Top Bottom