which should i go for??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all i have just decided to setup my first tank which my dad has helped me become interested in he has a 28 nano cude thats saltwater a regular 29 gallon on salt water a 72 gallon bow front with freshwater and is working on combining the two saltwaters into a new 90 gallon tank...
When he gets done he said i could have the 29 gallon tank which hes already had setup for saltwater so all i would have to do is maybe buy new rock get the water (which i have a store that sales already made up saltwater for tanks) and then work on fish and corals. And of course the chemicals and all the many foods saltwater fish and corals eat. Or i could switch it back to freshwater. But i believe a
ill have to buy new bulbs for the fixture a new filter and the gravel and chemicals and i would like to grow my own plants. this is my first tank i will have kept except for the 1.5 gallon betta tank me and my five year old set up. my question is what would be the better choice salt which would take less to start but cost more for fish and to maintain or freshwater that would cost more to setup but less to maintain. any suggestions are helpful cause im excited to do this i just cant decide what i should do.

Welcome to AA. You have so many different options I would suggest researching fish that would be good in a 29gal to start. Look around and get ideas. It's great that you and your dad are both into this, he'll be a big help. Don't be afraid to ask any question you can think of. And remember research is key! Good luck and keep us posted.

well if I go with freshwater is the hang over filters or a canister filter a better way to go

It's personal preference. For that size tank a good and reliable HOB is just fine. IMO AquaClear HOBs are the best. They have customizable media and are very quiet. Depending on what you stock with, go for an AquaClear 50 or 70.

Also, did you take a look at those links I posted? They'll help you out :)

yea I have been reading a little in those pages you gave me. Is a co2 system a must in planted tanks I plan on having some plants but im not sure if im gonna have a whole tank of plants like some I've seen on here.

It all depends on the plants you have. If you have low light plants and the tank is well stocked you could probably to without. Look into low light plants such as anubis, java moss, java fern, banana plants (that's all i can think of off the top of my head.) With that you should only need to use fertilizers every now and then depending on your tank set up. Real plants help break down the bad chemicals in the water as well. You should be able to get away with a good amount of plants without the use of CO2.

so bruinsbro gave me some pages to read on freshwater does anybody have some on saltwater I can read

alright so freshwater it is I got my api test kit and aquaclear 70 in the mail, got my heater some coralife t5 lights all I need now is some substrate and decor......
ill be running a 29g with light planting what kind of substrates do you recommend

alright so freshwater it is I got my api test kit and aquaclear 70 in the mail, got my heater some coralife t5 lights all I need now is some substrate and decor......
ill be running a 29g with light planting what kind of substrates do you recommend

It depends on what kind of plants I guess. I have fairly lowlight plants and I have sand although I just started with the plants so I can't say how they'll do :) You might want to browse the freshwater planted forum and check out the info there or even post there and ask for substrate recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom