Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marine land penguin biowheel 200 I believe. Running active carbon. I definitely need to change the cartridge because the active carbon should be wearing off by now

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Marine land penguin biowheel 200 I believe. Running active carbon. I definitely need to change the cartridge because the active carbon should be wearing off by now

I run HOB filters in my breeding tanks and switch over to sponges (they've been running to be seeded) but in this case what I do is either run a prefilter sponge on the intake or use a pair of my wifes old pantyhose as a filter sock so no little ones get sucked in. You definitely need filtration.

That's an awesome pair! Gl! Ps where do you guys put your slate in the aquarium and where do you get it? I don't want to pull eggs from the filter intake

I got my slate from a guy who had torn his barn down that had a slate roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've found it better to not have HOBs or canister type filters in breeding tanks but any form of internal filter ( ie.corner box or sponge filter) so as not to be taking any of the milt away from the eggs. With fish breeding on filter tubes, that's a double edge sword. If they are doing on the intake, water is being pulled into that tube which means that anything near the intake is being sucked into the filter, including the fish's milt. If it's on the outflow tube, while not the best it is still better than the intake. It also makes it almost impossible to artificially raise the eggs and continue to filter. With HOBs, there is usually only the intake tube then an overflow back to the tank so I would have the HOB filter turned off and replace it with a sponge filter and use the HOB on another tank.

When parent raising, fungus is not a real issue as the parents are fanning the eggs trying to keep them clean. They shouldn't fungus or be there long enough to fungus because the parents will remove the dead eggs. (y)

Alright this was in a community tank and had an HOB. I will try to get a slate and put it as
Far away from the filter as I can so not
Much eggs get sucked in
Compare it let. This is temporary until I get a 20-29 gallon tank for the Angels or a sponge filter rated for
My tank. I think I saw some pretty reasonably priced sponge filters on angelfish plus? Anybody ordered from there?

Here is a pic of the spawning site: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445110460.842966.jpg last time they spawned above the grey thing as close to the surface of the water as possible

You can find some very reasonably priced new sponge filters on Ebay or can make your own with some PVC pipe and Foam filler for chairs. I've done both. Many I do resemble the Jungle/ Lee's version of sponge filter for sizing. ;)

You can use driftwood or even a clay unpainted flower pot. Just about anything can be used if sanitized properly, but you have to use caution with any sharp edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I second the eBay sponge filters. They're usually from China and super cheap. The first time I got one in had to post on here how to work it because there was nothing in English or any other language I can read on the box. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

On the slate topic, if you cannot get slate, other things for spawning are : Clay/ Terra Cotta Flower pots, PVC pipe ( 2" or 3" work better than thinner sizes) and some of the rougher tiles from the Home Depot or Lowes as well. There are many replacements for slate these days. I just use it because I have it but I also use Shale rock that is in larger, longer size which I also have had for over 30 years in my garage. ;) You want to use things that can be easily moved to another tank once the eggs are on it. The eggs are sticky so they don't fall off. (y)

On the slate topic, if you cannot get slate, other things for spawning are : Clay/ Terra Cotta Flower pots, You want to use things that can be easily moved to another tank once the eggs are on it. The eggs are sticky so they don't fall off. (y)
I second the ease of moving the spawn site.

I read and have proven myself long ago that moving the eggs ,letting them touch air, has no effect on the hatch.
The eggs are sticky and will not fall off.
They also will not go bad by mere exposure to air for less then 2 minutes(per source) which is way longer then it should ever take anybody to move a set.
So by simply providing a good breeding base can increase production.

Alright this was in a community tank and had an HOB. I will try to get a slate and put it as
Far away from the filter as I can so not
Much eggs get sucked in
Compare it let. This is temporary until I get a 20-29 gallon tank for the Angels or a sponge filter rated for
My tank. I think I saw some pretty reasonably priced sponge filters on angelfish plus? Anybody ordered from there?

I'm not sure about the use of carbon in my filters , I choose not to use them , but carbon can be used in different way of applications, but for breeding I don't know for sure? Anyone?

Clem.

I'm not sure about the use of carbon in my filters , I choose not to use them , but carbon can be used in different way of applications, but for breeding I don't know for sure? Anyone?

Clem.

In a bare breeder tank with a sponge filter, a carbon filter doesn't need to be used as you should be doing weekly or twice weekly water changes on your breeders. Now for hatching eggs, some of the meds used to prevent fungus on the eggs needs to be removed from the water once the eggs have hatched. I just use a mesh bag with a small amount of carbon in it ( about a golf ball sized amount for 5 gals of water) and just position it over the airflow and the med is gone in about 24 hours or less. (y)

In a bare breeder tank with a sponge filter, a carbon filter doesn't need to be used as you should be doing weekly or twice weekly water changes on your breeders. Now for hatching eggs, some of the meds used to prevent fungus on the eggs needs to be removed from the water once the eggs have hatched. I just use a mesh bag with a small amount of carbon in it ( about a golf ball sized amount for 5 gals of water) and just position it over the airflow and the med is gone in about 24 hours or less. (y)
For med removal, got ya [emoji40] good tips sir!!!

Clem

There was a lot of "hatch" today in the hatchery :brows::lol: The second spawn in the 2 1/2 gal hatched today and surprisingly, so did spawn # 3 that also was in the 2 1/2. Thankfully, I moved it to a jar last night which turned out to be a good thing (y) I may have been off on the timing of the spawn but I saw it when I saw it and if that was when they were laid, they hatched in 48 hours +/- instead of 72. If I remember correctly, I believe this happened before with this pair but anyway, the hatch ratio was not bad but there were more dead eggs on this slate than the other 2 slates. Unfortunately, the only previous survivor from this pair was deformed and had swimming issues so hopefully I have better success with this spawn.

Today was also water change day and I found baby Guppies in both tanks of them. I'm not all that interested in the ones from the females my buddy gave me but the ones from the larger old females are important for the line to get larger in size. So one of the females gave birth and I expect the other one to drop as well any day now. I'm currently fish testing the new square tank I got at the flea market so if all goes well, the babies will start off in there because I forgot to leave a 2 1/2 empty for them. :facepalm: Sadly, I lost the third larger female Guppy due to a siphoning accident. :whistle: Will definitely be more careful in that tank from now one. :whistle:
Lastly, after their water change today, the original one eyed Angel, who had his mate beat the snot out of him and blinded him in one eye, was in a tank with a random fish and it turns out that that random fish was a female and they spawned. Here's the problem tho, after looking at that female real carefully, it's very possible, due to a lack of tracking on my part, that he spawned with his original mate so now I am concerned for his safety if I pull the spawn. (That will teach me to rely on my memory and not write this stuff down, :^s :banghead:) At this point, this male is the only Barred Marble that produced living fry so I want to keep him around. Looks like I need more tanks or sell off more of these babies I've been stock piling. :facepalm:
That's life in a hatchery :brows:(y)

So how do you keep records? By hand on notebooks or do you have an EXCEL spreadsheet? I'm not that technologically literate so I tend to write in notebooks and then lose them.

So how do you keep records? By hand on notebooks or do you have an EXCEL spreadsheet? I'm not that technologically literate so I tend to write in notebooks and then lose them.

When I was younger, I would write it all out in notebooks then also lose the notebooks so I learned to have a great memory and most of it was in my head. :blink: Now that I am older, I may need to start up the books again because the computer is a useless instrument when you have wet hands. Plus, one crash and you are at step 1 all over again.:facepalm::banghead: I make a lot of notes on the tanks themselves so I know more from that way. Mostly, I just recognize that this baby can only have come from that pair. The only time I got screwed on that was when I had 2 pairs give off gold babies. Now that one of them is gone tho, I don't have anything to worry about until I start breeding the 2 lines to each other. Then I will mark from which pair the genders are from. One will be from an F2 while the other an F1. So I do want to take good notes on those results. (y)

Got it! I write my killifish species on the tanks. Otherwise when they are juveniles they all look alike. I need to start writing my stuff down too. I try to remember it all as well but some details slip by.

Which is why as BS as my threads are they tell me when fish were spwned/hatched.....
I am about to start posting TDS in my ram thread!
I am all over the place so if I don't note it there I may never know where I went!
This site is an excellent ledger.
When I questioned one thing(fish seeing each other) Andy said post...
I have journals on another forum for the rams/discus/and angels.
No better place to keep my info then my favorite fish site!
And why not share?
You all are a big help not competition.

Back
Top Bottom