Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate the fact that if I want to continue fish breeding as a career I have to move to Florida... But I think I'm gonna do it :hide:

I hate the fact that if I want to continue fish breeding as a career I have to move to Florida... But I think I'm gonna do it :hide:

You don't have to come here to be a career fish breeder. You just have to have access to a lot of area where you can be raising fish 365 days a year and it's affordable. Florida land where the farms are was pretty cheap when they first started so that's why they are there. They started in South Florida before moving to Tampa area because the land was cheaper and the water was better. Then the weather became an issue and aside from a few years of freezes, there is no down time for fish growth here. But I started in an indoor hatchery in NJ so it can be done not in FL. :whistle:

I was at the lobster hatchery in Bar harbor about 10 years ago( if I remember correctly) and I was seriously thinking about coming up there to help breed lobsters. Maybe that's something you can do? (y)

You don't have to come here to be a career fish breeder. You just have to have access to a lot of area where you can be raising fish 365 days a year and it's affordable. Florida land where the farms are was pretty cheap when they first started so that's why they are there. They started in South Florida before moving to Tampa area because the land was cheaper and the water was better. Then the weather became an issue and aside from a few years of freezes, there is no down time for fish growth here. But I started in an indoor hatchery in NJ so it can be done not in FL. :whistle:

I was at the lobster hatchery in Bar harbor about 10 years ago( if I remember correctly) and I was seriously thinking about coming up there to help breed lobsters. Maybe that's something you can do? (y)

Ehh, if I'm going to do fish breeding up here it'll be at a salmon farm (assuming I don't try to do an indoor hatchery). I already have some contacts in that. But I'm far more interested in ornamental tropicals.

Lobster hatching has kinda flatlined. The lobster fishery up here has had a glut in recent years. You wouldn't have guessed it from the prices but if you know where to look you could find people GIVING AWAY lobsters ;) So not sure it would be the best to go into.

There's actually a saltwater ornamental hatchery up here. So it can be done!

Lobster hatching has kinda flatlined. The lobster fishery up here has had a glut in recent years. You wouldn't have guessed it from the prices but if you know where to look you could find people GIVING AWAY lobsters ;) So not sure it would be the best to go into.

There's actually a saltwater ornamental hatchery up here. So it can be done!

When I was up your way in 2014, the big story was how the Canadian supply of Lobsters was causing the lobster glut and making the prices fall and it was only the Lobster coop that was keeping the prices for Maine Lobsters at the level it was ( which was still cheap.) But I remember when I used to vacation in Maine in the 60s, Lobsters could be bought for $1.00 per lobster. I ate good as a kid. :D:dance: But this goes back to what we were talking about with the water temps rising causing the sealife to relocate. I wouldn't be surprised if the tropical coral reefs start moving North or South as well. Anywhere where there is cooler water. :whistle:

When I was up your way in 2014, the big story was how the Canadian supply of Lobsters was causing the lobster glut and making the prices fall and it was only the Lobster coop that was keeping the prices for Maine Lobsters at the level it was ( which was still cheap.) But I remember when I used to vacation in Maine in the 60s, Lobsters could be bought for $1.00 per lobster. I ate good as a kid. :D:dance: But this goes back to what we were talking about with the water temps rising causing the sealife to relocate. I wouldn't be surprised if the tropical coral reefs start moving North or South as well. Anywhere where there is cooler water. :whistle:

Yeah, that's the details of it. I forget that you know Maine stuff and I end up simplifying it :lol: In any case I know the university hardly has any lobster hatchery research. Plenty of lobster fishery research! The big project up here is the atlantic salmon farms, especially sea lice.

If it gets too much warmer I'm gonna have to migrate north too...

Forces shall unite
When the time is right
We'll all get our wish
When we join to create fish.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Andy, one other random thought I had, have you tested the air quality outside the hatchery, and in the house? That would help to confirm it is something in the hatchery, and not an external environment issue.

I will feel terrible if you do this and it tests positive too, cause that will be much harder to fix, at least compared to an AC unit.

Andy, one other random thought I had, have you tested the air quality outside the hatchery, and in the house? That would help to confirm it is something in the hatchery, and not an external environment issue.

I will feel terrible if you do this and it tests positive too, cause that will be much harder to fix, at least compared to an AC unit.

Yes, I did test the outside air and it came up clean. (y) I even tested other areas in the building and they too came up okay which was why I stuck the test paper right into the airflow directly from the A/C ( which was on heat at that time) and then the paper turned it's color. BINGO!. I'm just assuming that the compressor is just adding the ammonia into the water due to the constant recirculating of the air inside. That test was with the air source coming from outdoors. The test water still showed slight amounts of ammonia so it was coming from inside.
The next part is that the a/c is in front of the thicket of trees and shrubs so there is a lot of natural air purification going on behind the building. I wouldn't think ammonia would be the issue here. It should be more carbon dioxide from the trees if anything. But I will know more tomorrow after the a/c guy gets here. (y)

Yeah, that's the details of it. I forget that you know Maine stuff and I end up simplifying it :lol: In any case I know the university hardly has any lobster hatchery research. Plenty of lobster fishery research! The big project up here is the atlantic salmon farms, especially sea lice.

If it gets too much warmer I'm gonna have to migrate north too...

I get to keep you honest because I know. ;) :lol:
Salmon farms have big problems, especially when they do the open water pens. That's why sea lice is such a problem. The fish are too stressed so they easily succumb to lice issues. They also create a huge environmental issue as well. I don't have an answer for this but I will say, from all I do know, I refuse to eat farm raised Salmon at this time under any condition. :whistle:

Forces shall unite
When the time is right
We'll all get our wish
When we join to create fish.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cute. ;)(y)

How about 4 years, after Ann and I are done with our aquaculture degrees? ;)

4 years? I could be dead by then. :eek: Besides, I need the help now! :blink::lol: There has to be good aquaculture degrees in some FL schools, No? We have so much of it here. :whistle:

I get to keep you honest because I know. ;) :lol:
Salmon farms have big problems, especially when they do the open water pens. That's why sea lice is such a problem. The fish are too stressed so they easily succumb to lice issues. They also create a huge environmental issue as well. I don't have an answer for this but I will say, from all I do know, I refuse to eat farm raised Salmon at this time under any condition. :whistle:

Cute. ;)(y)

4 years? I could be dead by then. :eek: Besides, I need the help now! :blink::lol: There has to be good aquaculture degrees in some FL schools, No? We have so much of it here. :whistle:

There are some environmental issues from farm raised salmon... but they're a lot less than the issues with farm raised nearly any other food ;) Before you cast stones at salmon throw a few thousand at corn, all livestock, potatoes... the list goes on.

There are good aquaculture schools in Florida but... out of $tate tuition i$ $omewhat trouble$ome if you get what I'm $aying....

There are some environmental issues from farm raised salmon... but they're a lot less than the issues with farm raised nearly any other food ;) Before you cast stones at salmon throw a few thousand at corn, all livestock, potatoes... the list goes on.

There are good aquaculture schools in Florida but... out of $tate tuition i$ $omewhat trouble$ome if you get what I'm $aying....

Which is why I don't eat much if any factory farmed food. (y) ( I'm fat from ice cream. :ROFLMAO: ) And Salmon farmers deserve some of the stones I throw and the reasons are all documented already. :nono:

As for out of state tuition, I have an answer: Move to FL and you get IN STATE tuition prices. :brows: (y)

Nice to see you found the problem for the bad spawns Andy!

Oh and stop all this seafood talk...i want it now even more than before

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which is why I don't eat much if any factory farmed food. (y) ( I'm fat from ice cream. :ROFLMAO: ) And Salmon farmers deserve some of the stones I throw and the reasons are all documented already. :nono:

As for out of state tuition, I have an answer: Move to FL and you get IN STATE tuition prices. :brows: (y)

You have to live there for a certain amount of time to get in state tuition :p no idea what that time would be in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom