Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, on the fry front, we had good news and bad. The bad, SOS ( Same ol' stuff) :( The rest of the fry from pair #4 died the past 2 days and now I have still less confidence that the 2 spawns I currently have hatched and am peroxiding, in separate tanks, are going to do anything different. That's sad because one is from 1/2 black #3. And of course, 1/2 Black pair #1 spawned again today so :banghead::banghead::facepalm:

The good news is that in order for a hatchery to stay active, there needs to be something producing viable fry. I got that today with my second large female Guppy. She dropped about 20 fry ( that I could find :brows:) so the efforts to recreate a large 1/2 black Guppy with a nice delta tail is continuing. :D (y)

Hopefully, the Plecos will spawn soon and have a good spawn this time. (y)

Andy How is the Angel Fish hatchery? Can we see some of the fish you are breeding?

The status and fish of the hatchery are spread throughout this thread with even more pics in my Albums in my bio and the "Wigglers at last!!!" thread. No sense in uploading them all again since I have run out of space here for pics. ;)

But THANKS for asking. :) :flowers:(y)

Well, on the fry front, we had good news and bad. The bad, SOS ( Same ol' stuff) :( The rest of the fry from pair #4 died the past 2 days and now I have still less confidence that the 2 spawns I currently have hatched and am peroxiding, in separate tanks, are going to do anything different. That's sad because one is from 1/2 black #3. And of course, 1/2 Black pair #1 spawned again today so :banghead::banghead::facepalm:

The good news is that in order for a hatchery to stay active, there needs to be something producing viable fry. I got that today with my second large female Guppy. She dropped about 20 fry ( that I could find :brows:) so the efforts to recreate a large 1/2 black Guppy with a nice delta tail is continuing. :D (y)

Hopefully, the Plecos will spawn soon and have a good spawn this time. (y)
Hi Andy,

Sorry to here about about the fry babies, but that guppy half black, is that a new type of strain your working on? It would look near with that delta fin too!!! [emoji106]

Clem.

Hi Andy,

Sorry to here about about the fry babies, but that guppy half black, is that a new type of strain your working on? It would look near with that delta fin too!!! [emoji106]

Clem.

For some reason, I seem to have this fascination with 1/2 Black fish. I really dig 1/2 Black Angels, Nubian Platies, 1/2 Black Swordtails, etc. The 1/2- 3/4 black guppies were at my buddy's place. He told me they had been in one of his pools which he had to empty because he was moving. They had been there for about 10 years so you can imagine all the inbreeding that had been going on in there. What he did say was that even with all that, they produced "true" and only produce those 1/2 -3/4 Blacks. There was nothing else in the way of Guppies in that pool when he emptied it. I made mention that I liked them ( even tho they were obviously small due to inbreeding) so he gave me a net full of them. I got all sizes including ones that were probably only a week or 2 old and genders and they all have been doing great in a tank. They have even dropped some more fry since being here. What I had was the offspring of some Guppies I had gotten from my LFS which were about 2- 3 times the size of these fish so I wanted to try and breed back some size into these fish. On a side note, the original pair had produced 1 single male that had a double tail. It wasn't a split but 2 individual tails. I have a pic somewhere in the archives of my pictures on one of my cameras or computers. Once I find it, I'll try to post it. (y) So if I could get a double tail Guppy out of the deal as well, then I'd work that strain. :brows: But for now, they are just a side line for me to look at when I get done with the Angels. :D

What's really frustrating me at the moment is these darn Albino cory cats. :banghead::banghead: I have a tank of either 4 females or 3 females and a large male. I have 2 other definite males however 1 is blind and has no eyes anymore. He's obviously getting along by smell. The day after a water change, when all the fish were together, I usually find some eggs on the walls of the tank which I have now unsuccessfully been able to hatch outside the tank. In other times, I would see one or two eggs on the wall and wait to see if more would be laid and by the time I come back, they would be gone. :facepalm: So I decided to set up a tank where I would put a definite male with a definite female full of eggs into then remove once they spawned so that I didn't have to handle the eggs at all. So, to help condition the females, I removed the 2 smaller males yesterday into another tank and just left the larger fish, which I was almost sure were all females, alone in the one tank. Today, just before I started writing this, I went past the tank and see a cluster of about 20-30 eggs on the front glass!!! :banghead::facepalm::banghead: I'm almost sure there is no male in there now so I finally get a big spawn and no/slim shot of it being any good. I don't know whether to remove the fish from the tank or move the eggs or what to do. I need more baby Cories to give back to my buddy as these were on "loan" for me to breed for him. :banghead::facepalm::banghead:

G-d I love playing with fish!! :banghead::blink::D

Tengo una pregunta. Has anyone ever used an egg tumbler for angelfish. Was reading about egg tumblers and how a lot of
People use them for artificial circulation and stuff for high rate spawns. Wouldn't these be good for the pleco egg clusters and the corys. I don't think it works on angel eggs since they are sticky. Just wanted to know everyone's opinion on them. I
Think they are pretty cool personally.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

I sometimes use tumblers on my african mouth brooders.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That makes sense that's what I've heard a lot of people do since those eggs require circulation

Cn

Never used them personally. I can only assume they would need to be used only for certain fish types. Angelfish eggs are about the easiest to hatch out with just an air stone so why spend the money? ;) Barbs , Tetras & Anabantid eggs wouldn't do well in them either. So it's looking more & more that they are only for just a few types of eggs. :whistle:

Just to post a little update, I am still not having any success with the Angel fry other than the one 1/2 Black spawn. They had 2 subsequent spawns that both did not swim so it has to be the diet that's the issue. There was a 6 month period of no spawns with that pair then the good one then 2 spawns about 3 weeks apart that were duds. So obviously their diet is not giving the fish enough nutrition to make the fry healthier fry. So for now, I am trying to discourage the fish from spawning ( not an easy task :nono:) in hopes that the rest will do the fish some good and give the new diet a chance to build them up. I was down to see my buddy down South and he gave me 2 other foods to try 2 pairs to see if there is a difference between them and the Omega One flakes I just started feeding. Interestingly enough, he also had tried the Cobalt foods with no success or improvements from his fish. Like many of mine, the fish didn't eat the vitaminized flakes for him either. So he's back to his "normal" and I am back to mine. :whistle: Hopefully, this gets resolved in the months time frame I am giving it. From what he said however, it may take longer. :(

Also on the Angel front, I am starting to have some of the lighter marbles from the Koi/ GM pair develop some orange in them. So I now know for sure which parents gave me "Scardy Koi" (y) and now need to be more selective on which fish from that pair I release. The problem is that the fish are 4-5 months old so they would have been sold off as smalls had my customers been better at selling off my fish. So thankfully, my overcrowding has actually had a positive outcome. :whistle: I've also learned that the Blushing Angels that have been growing in the 75 gal pools need more height and less fish in the tank to get them to grow back their fins. I had separated a couple of fish into the 30 gal breeders and their fins regrew while the ones I put in the 25 gallon breeders didn't. What's strange about this is that I took a number of Gold Angels out of a pool because they too had been showing signs of deteriorated fins and had them in a 25 gal, supposedly temporarily :whistle:, and their fins are growing back great. I've even sold a few of them off. So there is no consistency to what needs to go where and that can drive a person crazy. :blink:
Finally, also on the Angel front, I got a spawn from the old Zebra Lace female with her new Black male. At the moment, I'm letting them raise the fry and see what happens since it's been over a month since her last spawn but I may just take the slate and move it into a 2 1/2 just because I really want to see something swimming. The eggs hatched today and they seem to be very attentive parents so hopefully I have a couple of days to mull this over. :whistle:

So now, being that my belief is that a hatchery needs to be hatching something :brows:, I have properly set up a spawning tank for the Albino Cory cats and am water testing another tank which will be for the Sterbai Cats. The last spawn that I found in the Albino tank was a dud, just as I thought it would be since I removed the known males the day before I saw the eggs. :banghead: But I'm going back to my original Cory method which means removing the parents, not the eggs so we will see how that goes.
I'm also getting 3 old strains of Guppies to play with while I wait for the Angels. Can't wait to see them as they are at least 10-12 years old strains. Supposedly big delta tails and gorgeous patterns. Will take pics and put in my albums when I get them ( in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed ).

The 2 spawns from the big Guppies are still doing great. Now I just need to wait for them to size up so I can start trying to breed them to see if I can get some size back into them. (y)

So that's it for now. (y)

Man, on the food front, that stinks. Cobalt helped me turn a corner with my angels. Made a world of difference from the omega one (for me). If i might ask, Whats your feeding rotation and schedule look like?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't wait to see those delta tail guppies! [emoji39] and a 12yr strain . I'm glad to see the other fish producing and keeping the hatchery busy[emoji106]
Dem fish gotta pay for they're keeping! [emoji6]

Clem

So this was my angel about 2 weeks ago

This is my angel now!

As you can see the fins are very thin and look either stressed or clamp. I'm quite attactmhed to her and don't want death. I also see her at the surface more and
More. She seems very stressed. I have 4 espei 1 albino bristle pleco and 1 male angel. All of the fish are peaceful. The Angels are extremely docile and don't even go near the espei. The Angels seem to be a pair and never show any aggression to each other. The ABP keeps to himself. I do usually 2 30% water changes a week. I will do a 30% every day until the angel is better. I haven't added any new fish since to the tank since The summer

Don't mean to hijack in anyway just figured you guys here will be the best at this. I'm just really worried

Can't post pictures on Aa right now apparently

Cn

Back
Top Bottom