Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Success at Last

I have a ton of free swimmers and the parents are taking such good care of them. They finally got it right this time. :dance: I am so happy. I also moved the 5 babies from my first Pearlscale pair into the 40 gallon breeder today. Yeah now they have plenty of space to grow out. As soon as I can get the brown algae off the tank the new babies are in I will post some pics of the new babies and the olders ones to. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.:)

I am being cautiously optimistic with the last large Gold Marble spawn. Once again, the hatch percentage is very high. About 400 eggs hatched today. This is the female's first huge spawn but the male's second. His first however hatched but never became free swimming. But that was with the other female from the trio. We'll see what happens. I'm getting another tank set up just in case.
The spawn from the marbles, on the other hand, seems to be another bust. Very few eggs left on the slate :( For now, I'll let it go but if I can get some other males, I'll switch males and see what happens.

I was not ably to post pics of the parents and babies. When I tried it said I used up all my storage for uploading photos. Does anyone know how to clear out the storage area?

On another note. I have another pair (a Koi male and a platinum female) in my community tank that spawned on one of the overflow boxes. It's their first time spawning so I am not expecting them to make it anyway.

Guess I will have to set up another 20 gallon breeder now. Come on Petco dollar per gallon sale!

Well today was the day :D The fry from the Gold marble/ Marble pair became free swimming today. The bottle is full of swimmers and I didn't get the tank ready for them :( Looks like we're gonna need a bigger bottle!! ROFL

Sounds like some successes here!!!

Hoping to move my Koi pair in the next couple days. Last spawned just a few days ago so if I don't hurry I might miss it again :hide:

It seems they are looking like they could be good parents, they seem very protective and their eggs seem to be viable colored but on the second night they disappear in the community tank.

Hoping to work on the move tomorrow...

After 2 years of waiting, I finally got a spawn from angels! I went to visit my angels in the 55 at my dad's house at thanksgiving and I had wigglers so I took them and parents back to my apartment and everyone is doing fine. I'm cooking up some bbs at the moment and I'm hoping to have at least a few make it to adulthood.

Yay babies!!! I have swapped the female that is with my big male again, he is with my little black zebra. But the new male has taken a liking to my original female, the one that beat up my big male, so i guess she just can never be with another smokey... anyone know what i can expect from a gold and marble pairing??? This is them...
img_2739453_0_da09ba02ff5f8c0679cdbb59b6ef1fd0.jpg

Yay babies!!! I have swapped the female that is with my big male again, he is with my little black zebra. But the new male has taken a liking to my original female, the one that beat up my big male, so i guess she just can never be with another smokey... anyone know what i can expect from a gold and marble pairing??? This is them...

By all rights, you should get golds, marbles and gold-marbles from this pairing HOWEVER, if the gene pool in them has other colors and they both have them, who knows what could come out of them. So the fun will be in the waiting to see :lol:

Today was baby moving day. Unfortunately, the 30 some babies from the first spawn of gold-marbles has been reduced to 4 actual fish that i am going to keep and grow. There are still about another 12-15 other fish that are either not swimming right or are disfigured so they need to go. I moved the small fry from the marbles into a 10 gal tank, moved the 9 babies from their next spawn into the 2 1/2 and set up another 10 for the bottle of gold/marble- marble fry. There are just way too many to keep in the bottle or even move to the 2 1/2. Time to just crank up the heaters and bite the bullet and let the chips fall where they may.

And an update on my Koi male with Pop eye and bloat/ dropsy: He is still alive!!! barely eats anything, his eye is still popped out but his belly has shrunk back to a normal size and he does actively search the top for food when he sees me come outside so I still have hope. I'd feel better if the eye would heal faster now that the belly problem seems to be gone.

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving holiday :)

Now that he is on the mend he should get better faster. Glad he is doing well and eating. I had to put rocks at the base of the divider i have in the 55 as someone keeps pushing it up and trying to take the big males rock (as i was ushering everyone to their proper sides the little gold male kept raming the big male so i suspect him) so im gonna go get my other piece of marble from outside so that the gold and his gf have a place to call theirs. Soon as i can get heaters and power strips ill be starting to move everyone downstairs. And into their own tanks so i wont have this issue!!!

[QUOTEAnd an update on my Koi male with Pop eye and bloat/ dropsy: He is still alive!!! barely eats anything, his eye is still popped out but his belly has shrunk back to a normal size and he does actively search the top for food when he sees me come outside so I still have hope. I'd feel better if the eye would heal faster now that the belly problem seems to be gone.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Epsom salts? Seemed to help my Betta heal.

Question about the new born/wiggler food. Can Hikari First Bites work for them until the BBS hatch?

I have commercial fry food that i have tried and all but the biggest couldnt eat it and they werent interested as the commercial food doesnt move... but you can try. It also dirties the tank faster ime. How long til ur bbs are ready??

[QUOTEAnd an update on my Koi male with Pop eye and bloat/ dropsy: He is still alive!!! barely eats anything, his eye is still popped out but his belly has shrunk back to a normal size and he does actively search the top for food when he sees me come outside so I still have hope. I'd feel better if the eye would heal faster now that the belly problem seems to be gone.

Have you tried Epsom salts? Seemed to help my Betta heal.

Question about the new born/wiggler food. Can Hikari First Bites work for them until the BBS hatch?[/QUOTE]

He actually went through a double course of maracyn-2, a double course of Furan-2 (because he was showing many symptoms of early stage Dropsy) then 3 doses of epsom salt before switching to Metronidazole (which he is currently still on.
Now I'm not sure if any of these meds can be directly applauded for reducing his swollen gut cause he still wanted to eat even tho he was bloated. Now that he's shrunk, he is being very particular in what he tries to eat. I haven't seen evidence of him actually eating & swallowing anything yet. Plus, his eye is still swollen so that's another issue we are still working on. But I can't cure a dead fish so I'm happy for the results so far.;)

As for new born/ wiggler food: You dont need any food when they are in these stages. The yolk sac takes care of all that. You don;t need to start feeding until the fry are actually swimming in the tank (or bottle). I still use my old stand-by: Newly Hatched Brine Shrimp as a first food. Some of the newer varieties of Angels' fry reportedly are too small for the shrimp so other foods like infusoria, microworms, etc might be necessary for a few days to get the fry large enough for the shrimp. Since brine shrimp can be hatched in less than 24 hours, you can start them the day before you expect your wigglers to become swimmers.

As for First Bites: I recently read the label again as I tried this food before on my Betta fry (with no success). I think the name is very misleading because the rest of the front of the package says that it's the perfect food for newborn fish fry. WAIT!!!!! "Newborn fish fry"? That means it's only good for livebearers because egglayers don't have "newborn" fry. New"born" egglayers all have a yolk sac. Newborn/ newly free swimming egglayers also seem to have a need to see movement to get them to start feeding. This powdered food is non of that. So I would steer clear of this food unless you were feeding some livebearer fry.

Thanks for the suggestion tho. Hope this helps (y)

Could be from the dog but Angels always move their young around even without dogs being present. It's called " Where's the babies? " and it drove me crazy!!!!! That's when I started my version of their game " Where's the eggs?" :ROFLMAO: :D

Andy you are so funny. Rofl. Well since my last post I have lost all the babies due to a fungus outbreak. Mom and Dad even got it on their eyes and fins. I am treating them now. It will probably be another week before they are back to a 100%.

Andy you are so funny. Rofl. Well since my last post I have lost all the babies due to a fungus outbreak. Mom and Dad even got it on their eyes and fins. I am treating them now. It will probably be another week before they are back to a 100%.

Happy to make you laugh :D Really sorry to hear of this outcome. :(

Now, before I give you an " I TOLD YOU SO!!!" :banghead:, does this tank with the fungus outbreak and dead fry have gravel or wood decorations in it?

Happy to make you laugh :D Really sorry to hear of this outcome. :( Now, before I give you an " I TOLD YOU SO!!!" :banghead:, does this tank with the fungus outbreak and dead fry have gravel or wood decorations in it?

No the babies were in with mom and dad in the breeder tank. I had just cleaned the tank the day before the outbreak happened. The outbreak happened very suddenly within a day or two.

No the babies were in with mom and dad in the breeder tank. I had just cleaned the tank the day before the outbreak happened. The outbreak happened very suddenly within a day or two.

If that's the case ( Boy am I glad I didn't jump to conclusions :whistle::brows:) then it probably wasn't a fungus but what you were seeing were burn marks on the fish. The fact that it effected the parents too makes me believe that it was something in the water you used to add to the tank. The thing with fungus diseases is that they are slow growing and rarely will all the fish have the condition overnight. Bacterial diseases can happen that way but the results are usually bloody stumps or blood stained edges around a wound.
I strongly suggest having water prepared and sitting with a bubbler for a few days to help anything dissapate before you use it. I would still use products like Prime in the water after it sits JUST IN CASE something is in there that might effect the fish. It's my understanding that PRIME will work against heavy metals that might be found in water and detoxify them. Metals will not dissapate even with a bubbler.

Hope this helps :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom